Who would you buy?

One midfielder who seems likely to go is Marcel Sabitzer. Any word on where he could end up? I’ve watched a lot of Leipzig games the last 2-3 seasons; I think he’s good, and quite versatile as well. Should be a good fit for us.

I suppose one con-argument is his age - ideally maybe we’d want someone 2-3 years younger? Also, perhaps we could use a player who can play Fabinho’s role when he’s out. Bissouma fits those criteria more than Sabitzer.

2 Likes

Good player but I’d be disappointed if he was our midfield signing, I think we should be aiming for higher. He’s got some quality on the ball and scores a fair few for Leipzig in that box to box role but I’m not sure his overall game is enough, and after watching him against us I don’t think the ‘6’ is his position at all. I’d much prefer Bissouma, who’d help us dominate the game and could play as the ‘6’ or more defensive ‘8’. Last season I’d have said Laimer if I was picking one player from Leipzig (but he’s been injured all season!).

3 Likes

Sort of what I’m thinking as well. Good, but I’m not quite sure exactly how good. I like his passing, and think he’d be another step towards us moving the ball quicker through the lines in central areas. Quick control, pretty good in tight spaces. Good long passer as well. But yeah, Bissouma’s physical presence is perhaps the better bet. I like him as well, but haven’t watched him as closely.

Agree about Laimer, he was high on my list before his injury. Would thrive in the PL with his physicality, tremendous in transition.

2 Likes

Bissouma is my number 1 target, personally, and I’d be perfectly fine with him being the only addition if it came to it. I think he’s that good.

As a cheaper alternative I like Zambo Anguissa from Fulham. He was great for Sevilla last season and has been one of the only Fulham players this year to show any kind of fight defensively.

Anguissa isn’t as good as Bissouma but he can apparently be gotten for around £20m less and he has the same basic skill set.

3 Likes

@Sweeting How do you see Bissouma’s suitability for us besides playing that central position? Can he play on the sides as well, maybe primarily as the sort of defensive nr. 8 we usually have on the left side?

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI7MhTSM9Uk

According to a lot of people, we are in for this guy.

2 Likes

Bissouma or Soumare?

II thought the latter is a step above Bissouma? Yes it’s a weaker league but he was the driving force in midfield in Lille winning the league. If Same price, who would you choose?

Why’s he a step above Bissouma?

I’ve seen that said about a few different midfielders we’ve been linked to now, and mostly I’ve disagreed. I’ve seen nothing of Soumare but Bissouma is a seriously good player, if Soumare is a level above he must be one of the best defensive midfielders in the world.

1 Like

Knowing Leicesters ability to sign unknown midfielders and them turn out to be worldies this could be true…

I think it will be a good swap for Wijnaldum playing as the more defensive 8. Obviously he can slip back into the 6 as well if Fabinho isn’t playing.

Could perhaps allow us to try all of Firmino, Mane, Salah and Jota in the same team as well by having Fabinho and Bissouma as the base they play off.

3 Likes

Fabinho Thiago is the best double pivot in football… and it hasn’t even been seen yet. Bissouma can back up Fabinho in that role.

2 Likes

Lad called Wijnaldum available on a free transfer. Regular Dutch international, and Premier League and Champions League winner. Could be a decent signing.

8 Likes

Swerve, can’t pass it forwards, invisible.

4 Likes

Fabinho one of the best #6 in the World.

Thiago one of the best passers in the world.

But nobody is as good as Hendo in pushing the front 3 to attack.

1 Like

Nor is it likely to be, in my opinion.

I’m pretty sure Jürgen sees Fab-Hendo-Thiago as our strongest midfield and I have to say that I agree with him wholeheartedly.

7 Likes

100%. I agree also, if Hendo’s fit it’s a no brainer. But if we were to play a double pivot and he were not available then Fab-Thiago would be boss.

3 Likes

As for positions, I see Bissouma primarily covering one of the two #8’s, probably the more defensive one, which could be Gini’s ex-spot at LCM. He’ll first have to show that he can merit playing as much as Gini did. So maybe he’d have to wait first. We can sometimes go without Thiago, if we want something more solid. But I really do hope we see more of Thiago at LCM next season (be it with Hendo or Bissouma at RCM), he’s very well secured there (likes of Virgil, Fabinho, Robbo and Mane around/behind/ahead of him, that is literally one of the best sides in football I’d say) and his right foot would ‘face the game’ more, much more passing lanes and ability to cut through lines, which he’s one of the best in the world at. He’s forced to either dribble or make something out of nothing at RCM (he did play very well there, but I don’t think we’re getting 100% of him, though it’s not all about which side of course). I think someone like Jones is better at that, or could be better. As for Fabinho’s (his next mission is to cut out the bad days, or that his bad day/little period isn’t as bad as it can be) backup(s) at #6, I think it will still be Hendo (he’s still overall our most important midfielder) for now. With Gini gone, maybe Thiago becomes our “3rd option”. With Bissouma, I’d wait and see first. First let him do what he’s best at as a #8, then we can slowly judge/try to see if he can also cover the #6 (and how well). If/when we flip to a double pivot, then of course there could be all sorts of different partnerships.

1 Like

The biggest obstacle to buying Bissouma is that he’ll be off to AFCON (9th January 2022, to February 6th).

So, if we were to buy him, and depending on what happens to Keita, we could find ourselves losing four players (Salah, Mane, Keita, Bissouma) for the whole of January and some part of February.

Consequently I can’t see it happening.

3 Likes

Most likely Keita wouldn’t be fit anyway unfortunately.

2 Likes

That wouldn’t be a barrier to him going to the AFCON.

8 Likes