Who would you buy?

Indeed. That probably rules him out.

betcha there’s a good signing bonus for picking up a Bosman.

he made a statement a few weeks ago that he hadn’t yet signed a contract. maybe with all that’s going on, and lack of an off-season last year he’s just happy for a month off?

Saw that Leicester is close to 18m deal for Lille’s Soumare. That is really value for a young dynamic midfielder who was the driving force in midfield for Lille’s title

3 Likes

What is Klopp’s record of selling players, especially core ones, who like it here?

Unless Mane, Salah or Firmino want to leave… I’m doubtful they will be forced out the door while they are still on contract. Can and Gini saw our their contracts and I expect many others will too.

Origi wasn’t forced out… even though we wanted to sell.

I’m prepared to accept that, perhaps all our front 3, may see out their contracts - Salah being the most likely to request a transfer. It’s an evaporation of a couple hundred million in transfer value that we might have to see.

Similarly, I really can’t see us raising anywhere close to 70m in sales without it.

There is very little money being exchanged these days and players like Ox, Origi and Shaqiri have consistently wanted to fight for their place.

I expect this summer… it will be a midfielder or a forward and not both (at least of the ~40m ilk) unless one of our high value players requests a transfer.

We’ve got a load of players on the periphery that we can sell. Should easily generate £70m plus.

Karius, Davies, Lewis, Grujic, Shaqiri, Wilson, Woodburn, Ojo, Awoniyi, Origi…we wouldn’t miss any of them and that lot ought to bring in £70m, even now.

7 Likes

The peripheral players are likely to interest the smaller clubs that tend to be not as well backed.

Many are in a sell-to-buy scenario this summer so I would expect a rather subdued summer. Not as bad as the January window… per say where transfer spending dropped to 1/3 of the previous year. But we’ll probably be left holding a bunch of unwanted players again or resort to sending them out on loan again.

Not sure where the lubricant to grease the transfer spending will come from. Even Chelsea are rumoured to be attempting player swaps for Kane.

We always have loads of players on the periphery and we always over estimate how easy it will be to get rid of them. The club has shown they will hold onto players unless their value is met. Increasingly we’re seeing clubs not willing or able to meet those valuations.

Take Wilson for example. A full Welsh international, coming off the back of a good loan season in the Championship and then another decent one in the Premier League. We couldn’t get what we wanted for him which was steep but not extortionate by any means when you compare him to what someone like Jarrod Bowen cost West Ham.

Or Larouci who was touted about at about £7m not that long ago and then as little as £2m in January I think but he’s left on a free today.

I’ve not done my Mikey’s Millions entry yet but some of the figures I see in there make me smile that others are so optimistic. What I’ve learned over the years is that when we play these hypothetical games we almost always over estimate three things. The number of players we’ll actually buy, the number of players we’ll sell and the total we’ll raise from those sales. We get the odd Brewster or Solanke where we get far more than we think we will for an individual but overall we never raise as much as we think we can.

Just from your list alone, I’d be surprised if we got a fee for any of Karius, Lewis and Woodburn and no one else is fetching us more than about £12m-£15m tops.

3 Likes

That’s predictive. This summer is in a different set of accounts for most teams to the covid losses. Some teams are set up/owned in a way the covid losses won’t impact their business dealing for the next financial year. Many of the others actually already usually run at losses, sometimes even huge ones, so I’m not sure the covid losses will change their behaviour as much as some think. French teams (except PSG possibly) will likely spend less net than usual due to the TV deal collapse, but they weren’t exactly big movers and shakers in the market. I’m expecting a lot more activity this summer than some seem to be expecting.

I think that has generally been true, but it’s not clear that is still the case.

1 Like

I don’t believe that Origi, Grujic or Shaqiri will leave. Think they’ll be able to see their contracts out

Grujic I think will be one of the players fighting for the minutes left by Gini.

No disrespect, but I hope not. He’s 25 and has never looked like being good enough.

6 Likes

@rab I think we have learned our lesson last summer. This summer LFC will be ready to accept any offer that’s decent/reasonable rather than holding out for an optimum amount.

3 Likes

Reuben Neves and its going to happen!

2 Likes

Manager Antonio Conte parted company with Inter Milan as the club was prepared to sell €80m (£69m) worth of talent this summer to help their financial situation. (Guardian)

Martinez? Bastoni? :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Not saying I’d buy him, but Brozovic is in his last year of contract, one of Inter’s key players through that spine. Will be interesting to see if he moves on or signs a new deal.

2 Likes

I’d go for a lauturo in a heart beat. Busy player who reminds me of peak suarez. Would def improve our front line leaving the possibility of either selling Bobby or transitioning firmino into a more attacking midfielder role…

4 Likes

Would be surprised if we are not looking at some of their players, title winning, club in financial trouble, coach left, I am sure some of the star players would be restless too without confirmation of new coach or financial stability. I would go for Lukaku…no I am joking haha… Yes Martinez seems like a dynamic mobile forward player but not sure of his price even in their current situation. Skriniar would be great too but if he is available, I am sure there will be a number of clubs bidding big for him. And if Adrian goes and Kelleher goes out on loan, maybe Handanovic at 36 and kept a number of clean sheets in this title winning season, might be willing to be backup.ANd of course Nicola Barella who is one of the best CM in Italy might be interesting but never seen him play much and not sure he wants to leave Italy.

Or Callum Hudson-Odoi. There are rumours that Dortmund eyes him to replace Sancho. If both Bayern and then Dortmund eye him, he is the real deal, since both of them have excellent and very credible ability to scout and spot talents, much better than City, Chelsea, Barca, Real, and as good as us if not better.

Among the big clubs, Bayern probably has the lowest number of flop transfers over the last decade. You know, Germans don’t mess with money (just see Klopp).

3 Likes

Lauturo = Shaq + Origi + 35M

Agreed. Talent is definitely there but not so sure about peak Suarez levels. Scores a good range of goals, works hard, presses opposition, young, lots of upside. Certainly a player the club should be looking at.