Who would you buy?

Likewise, I hope we don’t sell Harry Wilson and he doesn’t accept any loan. He has a contract with LFC so the club should honor it.

The Boss is a world class developer of talent, it’s what I’m always hearing. I don’t buy for one second that Wilson’s attributes are somehow so far removed from being able to play in Jürgen’s setup and contributing.

Hell, if they keep the lad they can even trot out the “like a new signing” trope. So it’s a win for all; the player, the club, and the supporters.

2 Likes

I think Wilson’s chance to succeed here is gone. Elliott plays the same position and is a left footer and it looks like they think he’s got a higher ceiling and a better chance of making it here.

For me he’s like a Ryan Kent or Martin Kelly. He’ll have a decent career in the Premier League but won’t be a player for a top six club once he’s left us.

3 Likes

Steady…

2 Likes

Surely the whole point of finding gems like this is to keep our powder dry so we can go big when we need to? These players are great but nearly £200m went on Alisson, VvD and Fabinho to enable these diamonds in the rough to show how good they are. We will never be able to do what City does and buy a couple of £50+m defenders every summer to keep the team evolving and freshen up/improve it! But likewise bringing in Robertson, Matip, Gomez, Trent for a combined cost of around £10m allowed us to bring in 3 world class players at an average cost of around £65m instead of either having to find the money for another 4 £65m players or splitting the money 7 ways instead of 3 and settling for lower quality players. If we just had a squad of the cheap players we wouldn’t be able to compete no matter how great they are. We can’t find enough diamonds in the rough to exclusively have that as our recruitment model.

2 Likes

After watching Italy last night and we already linked with Barella we should sign him, he was fantastic.

1 Like

For god sake, dreamer, I’m not remotely suggesting that.

My point is that it’s absolutely meaningless to point out we’ve spent less on our defence than our rivals, when our back line is a testament to the unbelievable capacity this club has to scout and coach players. What was the old saying? ‘we don’t buy world class players, we make them’.

Sure that means we can add a £75m Van Dijk or a £58m Alisson. Which we’ll need to do.

Any one of our rivals would have loved to pull Trent out of their academy, or spot Robertson at Hull. Except Pep, because a full back isn’t worth looking at unless they cost £50m obviously.

4 Likes

laugh all you like.

but pep has won 3 out of the last 4 PL titles.

perhaps we should buy 6+ 50 million pound fullbacks instead of just the 8 mil on the pair of them…

News outlets might be saying what they want but one of the reasons why the recruitment team will likely keep the transfer ball rolling is because of the age of certain players. Van Dijk, Matip, Henderson, Alcantara, Mane, Salah, Firmino - they aren’t spring chickens anymore, I assume that some sort of succession plan is already in place. That’s why I’d be very surprised if they didn’t sign a midfielder and an attacker, both of them probably younger than 25. I wish there was some magic that would turn Keita into a player who plays 40 games per season with utmost confidence, though.

7 Likes

Yeah, we should just do that. Piss easy this football business.

1 Like

not easy.

just need a genius like Pep…and as he has said before, his success at city is not down to the money and there are players they cannot afford.

why people need to be cynical and not just believe him i have no idea.

4 Likes

The original points that you jumped in on was someone else talking like how could we possibly have such an expensive defence by adding Konate without it meaning VvD or Gomez were really in such a terrible state. That was what my original post was disagreeing with, the notion we’d spent too much on defence by adding Konate therefore something must be going on there.

It is in motion, Jota, Elliot, Jones are the start. But yes I think the next players coming in for midfield/forward will be 24 or under.

Midfield for example decent links to Sanchez, Camavinga, Bellingham, Bissouma, Barella for example.

1 Like

Haven’t changed my mind much, get in Neuhaus and Hlozek whilst selling as much of the deadwood as we can… Maybe another player if we get decent money for Ox/Keita later on. Barella is great but doubtful he will leave Inter for anything less than 60 million especially with Hakimi likely leaving for $$$.

How many Champion’s leagues has he won with City?

1 Like

Camavinga!!!

2 Likes

I hope we are watching Pedri’s contract negociations with a keen eye… 1 year left, I reckon Barca would sell they are in that big of a mess. He is another level, frighteningly good.

As far as I know there is a 2year option for the club to extend.

2 Likes

Yeah, he and Fati could become truly special footballers. That said, I read yesterday that Barcelona can activate a two-year extension of his contract but that his exit clause or something would be set at an amount that would be easily paid by world’s biggest clubs.

1 Like

Yeah, Pedri is going absolutely nowhere.

Fati, maybe, but at a real stretch. I don’t see them selling them two.

Have you seen the mess they are in financially? Messi doesn’t actually play for them anymore and if he does sign they fail their leagues ffp…

My point was more if we offered £40mil for Pedri they would consider it. They are only looking short-term and making some very poor decisions.

1 Like