Who would you buy?

I know Origi’s contract status, was just an illustration. I think there was an option of a year extension, if enough games were played to trigger it, and that seems very unlikely.

The point I was making was that Bowen is a good player, but for us, now or near future? Likely not worth the money he would cost as other options would come into play.

3 Likes

Klopp is talking so much and highly of Bowen so that Man City will try to steal a march on us and offer 120mil for him.

4 Likes

@deneb is spot on.

Klopp obviously rates Bowen, he wouldn’t bother playing stupid mind games in the media and is a man of his word. But if he was planning to buy him it’s highly unlikely he’d keep going on about him.

And Klopp is right, Bowen was a smart transfer. He’s a cracking player who was signed for 18 million. Bowen is one of the main reasons West Ham have gone from relegation candidates to top 4 challengers.

3 Likes

Sadly, United will gazump them and break the world transfer record.

2 Likes

Klopp actually does leave some bits and pieces. I don’t think it’s intentional, but it’s sometimes impossible to hide completely or he doesn’t try so much.

If you watch him regularly, you can sense the difference when he respects or praises something in general (basically almost everything) and when he really likes something.

Think you could make a case for Diaz and a few others. Not that we weren’t mentioned with the player already at the time.

But of course, it doesn’t necessarily mean we’re signing Bowen.

Perhaps he was somewhere on our list or still is if something happens in the near future.

Monitoring someone like Bowen in the same league is just every day business at Liverpool.

1 Like

Different type of player, I’d say. The similarity is that both are fast and can go beyond the striker, make good runs to get in behind. Using broad strokes, the main difference is Nkunku can also play in between the lines. Much better in tight spaces. If Werner has the ball in front of the defence, there’s no real danger. (Yes, I know, some would say if he has the ball there’s no danger full stop :smile:)

Nkunku simply has many more strings compared to Werner; under Nagelsmann I saw him primarily as a creator and set piece taker who would chip in with a goal now and then, while this season he seems to have added more striker-like habits. Or just doing it more frequently. Getting into the box for crosses, running in behind the defence.

He’s not a blistering 1v1 player in my view, that’s basically the only ‘con’ I have on him. He’s quick, but for me more of a combination/movement player than a super dangerous 1v1 player. More like Gnabry than Coman or Sane, if that makes sense.

9 Likes

@Sweeting With the news regarding Mo and him maybe not signing a new contract it might be handy to do a comparison of players who could replace what he brings :grinning:

1 Like

4 Likes

I don’t know much about stats and that stuff but according to the simple eye test, Martinelli seems like a player who has what it takes to be a star. To quote a song, he’s goddamn electric. With improved decision making, he’s going to be a marvel. I’m impressed with Odegaard and Saka, it goes without saying, Smith-Rowe also has a lot of talent, but I think that of the four, Martinelli can go the furthest in their respective careers. He does play in a different position but I wonder if Salah is sold this summer, could Martinelli be a target for Klopp?

2 Likes

Along with probable cost and an Arsenal not wanting to sell, i cant see this happening.

2 Likes

Moussa Diaby would be my pick. Largely plays on the as a left footer so would need to adapt but in terms of profile he ticks a lot of boxes. Young, pacey, three seasons in a top five five league with a good body of work to judge him on. Seems to have stepped it up a gear this season in terms of goals and influence. Data wise i’ve no idea but you could imagine he’ll be one we’re keeping an eye on.

Watched Tchouameni Thursday evening in the Europa League contest, and came away impressed, even though they lost. He is a very fluid, athletic player that was all over the pitch defensively, and offensively.

In losing Gini, we lost our most athletic midfielder, and that is the main issue I see with our midfield, lack of top level, quick twitch athletes. Elliott and Thiago are our best athletes there, but one is very young, and learning, and the other aging, and hard pressed to get on the pitch regularly.

Getting Fabio this summer from Fulham will help immensely in the attacking phase, and adding Tchouameni would do likewise in the defensive role, IMO.

3 Likes

Martinelli recently gave an interview that indicated he was very committed to Arsenal. I know that’s not everything, and things change, but it made me think that prising him away would be very difficult. He does look a good player.

We are in the midst of evolving the side and how far it goes depends on some key renewals this summer.

If Mo doesn’t sign a new deal, I could see us go for Antony from Ajax to play in the right wing.

1 Like

Raphinha is coming up on two years left on his deal, at least according to Transfermarkt. Same with Nkunku, contracted until 2024.

I’m guessing both are potential targets this summer, considering the contract situation of the old front three.

2 Likes

Could be very cheap if Leeds go down or even just about stay up. Surely that’s a transfer request.

Saka also has 2 years left on his deal.

Mahrez in the last year of his contract means City could also be in for some of those players for the right side.

3 Likes

Rumour has it he has a relatively cheap release clause if they go down.

2 Likes

Would like that Martinelli if we lost Mo this summer or even next. What a player

7 Likes

If I was to buy a few players this summer, the middle of the park is where the need is greatest. We still haven’t replaced GIni, Milner is a dinosaur, and Hendo cant play 2 games in a week. For almost 2 years I’ve been championing D. Rice signing but he’s a bit out of our price range or is he? I would love to see us make an attempt with a player plus cash signing. Package up Origi + Gomez + $40 mill for Declan. We get an England international and a member of our spine for the next decade just like we did with Henderson and West Ham get an English international and a partner for Zouma for the next 5-7 years; they also get a striker who can get 10-13 goals a season and a replacement for Antonio. They also get $40 million to get another CM like Bissouma or Buendia. This is a tough deal but if we pulled it off.

If not D. Rice then I’d look to swap Gomez for Jacob Ramsey. The kid has the legs, the engine, and an eye for goal and he’s only just getting started.

I’m not sure I see what everyone else does, but I acknowledge that big clubs with lots of money have been interested. I do now wonder if circumstances with Chelsea and Utd will prevent West Ham getting the fee they think they’ll be getting and maybe bring him back down to a more reasonable value should he try to force his way out.

2 Likes