Who would you buy?

Not sure signing another forward should really be the priority now anyway, no? All five main starters in good form, plus Taki bagging in goals when he gets the chance.

I’d have thought we look at some cover for Fab as a target.

No, I would guess a forward signing of importance only happens if one of the old front three leaves. I think we could get someone if Minamino goes (along with Origi), as a replacement sixth guy/succession planning type of signing. But that might also be covered by Carvalho and Elliott?

The midfield area looks primed for a slight makeover the next couple of summers, so yeah, I’m thinking somewhere during that timespan we’ll get another midfielder in who can play the Fab position.

6 Likes

I think Klopp has a gentlemen’s agreement with Dortmund to not sign any of their players. Wonder if that extends to targets as well ?

1 Like

the Injury record is a issue with Haaland as well. Imagine if City signs him and he spends 2/3rds of the season on the treatment table.

daffy duck masturbation GIF

2 Likes

all this talk about potential forward signings over here ------> fireworks

<-------- meanwhile Mikey E is working on his going away present that nobody suspects…
Season 1 Reality Tv GIF by Joe Millionaire

1 Like

He’s a top player so will improve them. They’ve also signed Julian Alvarez who appears highly rated as well. So even with injuries and their current squad as is they’ll be strong either way. No doubt.

Haaland to City would be seriously annoying, he’s just what they need and more…rather they got Kane tbh…at least that severely weakens a rival.

They were always going to get someone. Kane, Haaland, someone good.

My hope is if they sign Haaland they lose some control in the middle, and this will embolden teams to try to have a go a bit more. As things stand, most teams get crushed and can barely get out of their own half. With Haaland most teams will of course still lose to Man City, but arguably more space might be created elsewhere on the pitch to get them on the break.

1 Like

Then again, that would also give Haaland the space he needs, if teams open up a little bit, push up and leave a bit of space behind the defence.

I haven’t thought about it before, but it would be really unlike Guardiola (historically) if City are planning on doing what you mention - sacrificing some control and move a notch or two towards chaos. That would be super interesting to watch.

1 Like

My hope if they sign him is that he has the same problems here as seemingly every big name attacker coming from the Bundi has. Stats galore over there just hasn’t translated to the prem. Of course he does seem different and in a different stratosphere to Sancho, Werner, Havertz etc but I definitely don’t think he’s going to be goal a game player here.
Also his injury record seems to have flown under the radar mainly due to his goals I presume but he’s injured a lot.

What’s this, Jarrod Bowen with Insua’s hair? A new way of slowly announcing a new signing?

:joy:

By the way, not saying sign or don’t sign Bowen, but found this funny and didn’t know where best to post it.

Have been thinking about our squad and although this has been billed as a big summer, I just don’t see it. I’m struggling to see where we put the cash.

The Goalkeepers look solid. I don’t really see a better pair in Europe.

The fullbacks are the best around, and Tsimikas is quality as well.

As long as Gomez stays, there can’t be a team with four better options in Central Defence.

In midfield, even if Milner and Ox leave, we still have six great options.

In attack, we know Origi is going, but we’ve got five belters, and Minamino (who’s goal return is phenomenal).

I can see us looking for an approx £10m back up for Trent (a right sided Tsimikas). Although, personally I still think Tsimikas could be a right sided Tsimikas.

If Gomez leaves (and really, he shouldn’t) we’re going to need a Centre Back - but that should be a cost neutral swap.

I think we’ll go for a top drawer Midfielder, such as Tchouameni. But I wouldn’t be moving anyone else on.

I don’t think we’ll be keen on another attacker, with the five we have. Even if Minamino leaves, we’re well covered, with Elliot able to play there, and Gordon sniffing around on the fringes.

So back up right back and midfield belter? Would you be happy with that?

1 Like

Think we are a bit short here or to rephrase we can be a bit more proactive here.

Yes. That’s what I said. Add a belter here, but I can’t see us doing two.

Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Keita, Curtis, Elliott, and Carvalho. True, there’s the fitness issue regarding Keita and the aging of Henderson and Thiago to consider but unless it’s someone who can play the Fabinho, I really don’t see the space for a new midfielder.

Agreed.

However, more broadly, there will be (has to be) a turnover in the next year or two - everywhere but defence possibly. One or more of Fermino, Salah and Mane are likely to move on and in midfield Henderson, Milner, Ox, Keita, Thiago, Jones and Elliot are all a bit of a unknown in terms of renewal, fitness or the ability to step up.

Midfield more immediate yes but the attack also needs a bit of attention.

I’d say that we have 4 great options: Hendo, Thiago, Fabs, and Naby; and we have 3 youngsters that we hope will become great options: Harvey, Curtis, and Fabio.

Hendo 32, Thiago 31, Fabs 29 in Oct., are all on, or about to be on, the backside of their career hill. So, I think your idea of one more younger mid, who can preferably play both 6 & 8, Along with a solid backup for Trent would be great business.

Hendo played as a #6 before Fabinho arrived, he still steps in when Fabinho is not available and I expect the both to ‘share’ the position in the coming years.

Not seeing us spending ‘big’ money on a young player for the position that requires the most experience.