Who would you buy?

With 5 subs from next season is early 30s really a problem now? We could easily see more players last at a good level for longer?

2 Likes

Or Gomez stays and deputizes both RB and CB. Because from what we’ve seen this season, he can. Home grown as well, I think?

It sounds good on paper, but we’re going into this period of 9 must win games heavily reliant on Fab and Thiago. If either one gets injured (god forbid) our chances would be drastically reduced. Jones, Elliott and Carvalho are not at that level yet, which leaves us with 4 options for 3 places.

4 Likes

It’s all relative, but I definitely see us buying a ‘starting level’ midfielder to replace Ox and obviously Carvalho is arriving as well. Then you have to remember that Diaz was brought in early and should have been a summer arrival.

If we do need to be replace Gomez, that’s another to the list, and while it may well be a cost neutral replacement, that doesn’t matter when you’te only talking about outlay

With Origi leaving, possibly Taki with a decent offer and still a huge question mark on selling one of Sadio, Bobby or Mo because of the contract situations…

That would be

New CB
New CM
Carvalho
Diaz
New Forward.

Whichever way you slice it, that’s a ‘big summer’. Especially if you consider that up until perhaps the last 2 months most people wanted to replace Keita in addition to Ox.

Of course there’s so many unknowns like if Diaz was already the replacement for one of the front three. Has Keita changed some minds? What is Gomez going to do?

It might well be that it will be ‘just’ Carvalho and a CM but I think that’s mainly to do with Diaz arriving early and Keita remaining injury free and even Thiago being available more often.

We can say we have 5 great forwards and that can be true, but 3 of them still have that contract situation. So… we’ll see what happens. We’ll know more this summer.

3 Likes

Serious midfield piece.
Fabio Carvalho done already bar the announcement.
Diaz done a window early (cheers Spurs).

Those three essentially replace Milner, Ox and Origi in the squad and you’d say are pretty serious upgrades.

Anything else I reckon will be dependent on others pushing to leave or as the result of the Mo contract situation. Don’t really see much else that needs doing and the five subs thing will give plenty of chances for everyone to play.

Select pieces, gradual evolution, continuity, half an eye on the future.

4 Likes

I’d like to see Mane get signed to $225k/week for 4 years with heavy incentives and see what Mo does.

Aye, we’re at a great place where nothing needs to be done. It looks to me like a summer with pretty much a free hit where we look at everyone on our radar and just go for the one player we like the best regardless of position.

We’ve got as many as 4 senior players who have been around the first team whose future is in question (for clarity that is Gomez, Ox, Taki, Origi) and I think some bodies will need to added, in addition to Carvalho, to make up for that if they all go. But probably not more than 1. When you look at where those guys play and who we’ve still at the club (including Carvhallo coming in) there is no obvious gap that needs to be plugged. Maybe RB (maybe implications for Neco)? So that’s why I say its a free shot. You can make a case that we need to start succession planning for midfield, but maybe we already have so not sure that will necessarily be the focus.

Of course, any of the other senior guys with contract issues can change this.

2 Likes

Yes, I’d be happy with that. If Gomez stays I’m not altogether sure we need a back up right back, as him covering two position will give him more minutes and presumably keep him happier. The way he was getting up and down the right flank when he deputized recently was just fine, and his crossing, while not of Trent’s level (who is?) is more than fine.

Tchoumeni getting linked and I’d be very happy with him.

All this assumes Mo stays and Sadio too for that matter. Obviously if a big striker departs, we would need a replacement.

2 Likes

Give me a few more days, will update you all. I am 3 months away from the summer window in my FM game.

2 Likes

I’m more than happy with Gomez being right back cover as I don’t want him going in the summer. We have been linked with Calvin Ramsay as well who looks a decent prospect.

2 Likes

I’d be happy with a backup right back and a stud midfielder. Ox and Milner gone. I know some folks love the kid, but I have serious reservations about Curtis. I’m just not sure he is good enough. I can see a situation where he leaves and we bring in 2, especially with Elliot’s progress stalled by injury and inconsistent form. Also, we don’t know how Carvalho will fit in quite yet. Is he ready now or one for the future kind of like Elliott? Will he even play in mf, or be groomed as a false 9? Lots of questions with few answers at this point.

1 Like

It’s not exactly who I would buy but with the contracts of three behemoths running out in next summer, I’m curious how Klopp/recruitment team plans to evolve our frontline.

Yes, me too. Also, I wonder if Mane’s performances through the middle has changed the plan in any way.

Coupled with the midfield situation, I feel anything can happen this summer. It could be busy or quiet, and to me both would make sense.

2 Likes

Schrodinger’s transfer window.

2 Likes

Jonathan David supposedly available for 40mil. Right price, right profile on paper and on YouTube. But quite an exciting player I would not mind seeing us sign.

1 Like

Joyce’s article about Klopp name checks Tchouameni, Carvalho and Ramsay (the Scottish full back). That would be a nice summer if none of our best players leave.

6 Likes

That would be a perfect summer!

Yeah, pretty much. That said, I have a feeling that Firmino will leave this summer, that Mane and Keita will extend and that Salah will run down his contract, so maybe one more forward will arrive.

1 Like

Can’t imagine Bobby going, we love him, Jürgen loves him and he loves the club. His song is even sung when he’s not playing (like last night for example).
Where would he go? He is a unique player who fits our style like a glove. Where else would he be so in harmony with the team and tactics?

2 Likes