Who would you buy?

It’s been the big question this for a while, how it all looks post front three. Do they look for similar types and continue with similar patterns of play, or will we see different types?

Do we then even switch to a midfield two as a consequence, like we largely played the first Klopp season? I felt this was something he abandoned after the loss against Sevilla in the EL final, when our central midfield was all over the place in the second half. Could be a coincidence, maybe a conclusion after a bigger evaluation, but ever since then it’s been a midfield three, with some exceptions. But maybe now they feel they have the types to play with more of a defined two more frequently…?

It definitely opens up avenues in terms of potential targets. I’m guessing they’ll want speed and 1v1 threat out wide, and a link player central, but around those assumptions there’s room to do different things.

Apparently we were looking if they missed out on the CL, which made sense.

Then again with Levy you never know it the 150m comes with caveats

1 Like

I would consider Timo Werner.

We scouted him heavily for a reason. We were clear how we wanted to use him. Chelsea never did and simply jumped on the opportunity to sign him when we were trying to figure out pandemic finances and all…

A lot of people would point to his struggles at Chelsea. I would point to his movement, top notch movement, and the lack of complementary midfield play at Chelsea.

And he’ll come relatively cheaper atm…

After Solanke, Sturridge and especially Torres, I highly doubt Chelsea would ever deal with us for a long, long time

I think that was largely Klopp being practical with what resources he had at the time. I would be surprised if he switched to that now.

1 Like

He spoke repeatedly that he felt the forwards struggled with their defensive shape in the 4-2-1-3 and so thought we set up and employed the press far better with the 4-3-3. This had an impact on the midfield as it often had the effect of them looking over run, but much like us against United a OT this year, the cause of that was the forwards being played through so easily.

1 Like

They could give us him for nothing but his wages would make him our top earner and he’s not worth paying half that.

Hard pass.

1 Like

I’m not sure he would come cheap, he will probably end up on loan somewhere, another one who we may consider once they’ve moved on.

Forget his output wrt goals scored, just look at the runs he makes and juxtapose that with our midfield play.
Half the time the Chelsea MF is oblivious of his movements!

The problem is he can’t fucking finish.

5 Likes

He’s a bust. And an expensive one at that. Made his bed by choosing them and money and now he gets to lie in it.

2 Likes

Kai Havertz was the one that got away. he’s exactly what we need

/endthread

1 Like

Nah, not for me.

His best role is that inside left channel.

It’s where we have Diaz and Jota.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s one of the rare one who has the skills to play that central in between role to a high level, at least high potential. We’ll see how he evolves, the kid is so talented that he could become anything.

I see the runs he makes for Chelsea and I think to myself…that’s exactly the movement that we’re not seeing from our front line. I see a lot of triangles and cycling of the ball which is great to reset an attacking impetus, but what guys like Havertz, Bernardo Silva, and even Cavani do well is their movement. Bobby comes the closest but he doesn’t make the runs into the space behind the back line too often

I was playing a game last season against our top rival and their striker was very good. His movement caused our back line fits as he was constantly moving from right to left and dropping into the midfield to create overloads. their AM would do the opposite to him, they literally played around us or drew us out of position to open up space.

2 Likes

Isco on a free makes a lot of sense

Chelsea’s midfield is the best part of their team. Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic and Mount are 4 of their better players.

1 Like

I promise @sgs is not my alt account.

I’d only ask, why has he been frozen out of Los Blancos for so long? He was one of the best in the world at one point, but has fallen off the face of the earth. cannot imagine his wage would be low for a 30yo

It may be. But the question is, how suited is their game to Werner?