Who would you buy?

Haven’t actually watched either, but Nunes sounds better than Sangare.

Very quick and technical. Have a bit of that. And satisfies Ward’s Portuguese fetish too.

1 Like

How is Nunes pronounced? Is it the same as Nunez?

Can’t be dealing with that if so.

I thought Darwin’s was pronounced Noo-nee-ez?

Not like new-nez?

There was some ‘new knees’ gags given his prior knee ops.

Darwin New-nyez.

Matheus Noon-ez.

Martin Tyler might have different ideas, but as your resident spick, that’s my advice.

4 Likes

What’s that?

Politically incorrect word for Hispanics

2 Likes

Jobe is taller than his brother…

Some good genes in that family!

3 Likes

Sign ALL the Bellinghams!

1 Like

You reckon the mum and dad could do a job for us? They look a bit over the hill tbh.

Dad had a great record in non league could do a job

1 Like

Beryl the tea lady can’t go on for ever.

1 Like

Happy with our new signings this summer because we finally brought in a ‘classic’ #9.

I am already looking forward to next summer because we might bring in two new midfielders (Gini, Ox, Milner have to be replaced at some point) and at least one new major attacker because of Salah and Firminos contract situations.

1 Like

I hope we aren’t buying 2 midfielders next year otherwise it probably means Elliott and/or Jones haven’t done enough to show they have a long term future at the club.

1 Like

A year is a long time in football, things and needs can change by then.

But for now, yeah, it looks like a midfielder and a forward for sure might be on the agenda.

For the rest, I don’t really care what are their names, the ones who merit the most will play and stay and that’s it.

1 Like

I am sure the decision about one or two new midfielders will depend on the future of Keita.

We used to go into a season with 7 senior CMs (Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Keita, Milner, Ox and Gini).

There’s no way we start into a season with Fab, Hendo, Thiago + Harvey, Curtis (and hopefully Bellingham).

Does Matip’s deal end next summer?

No, 2024.

2 Likes

It seems that we lack a player in one third of the pitch every season - we go into the season with all of our options fully fit and then an injury curse strikes strongly enough to severely limit our options for one or two matches (in case of midfielders, Brighton at home and Tottenham away last season), we drop points in those matches and they ultimately cost us the title.

That said, current midfield option, for all of their susceptibility to injuries, should have still been strong enough for us the win the title or two more had Man City been just a tiny bit weaker. This team would have routinely won the league post 2004, so I’m spoilt and thankless and proud of them at the same time.

Knowing Klopp, unless there’s an long-term injury to one of midfield players before the window closes, he won’t buy anyone. On paper, Fabinho, Henderson, Alcantara, Keita, Milner, Jones and Elliott should be enough to cover those three position, so it’s understandable why he’d prefer to keep the powder dry and go big next summer, whether it would be Bellingham or someone else. That said, I’ll go into full panic and “I knew it” mode the first time one of them gets injured.

6 Likes

I would sign Sangare this summer. Solid unit. Looks like he is making the jump up. Mid price release clause. If he is good enough to displace someone and play more often than not, great. If, as is more likely, he will be a solid addition to the group to rotate in, and to give insurance because of one or two durability issues as some of our key midfielders get older, then fine. Then next summer go big for Bellingham.

Bellingham, Sangare, Jones, Elliot, Keita (if he signs a new deal). That’s the new midfield from next summer on starting to take shape, while three older players in Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho (not quite as old) continue to do their thing, and if they stay fit enough and play well enough, the new breed is kept at bay, but obviously over time there is a changing of the guard.

I think Sangare now would help.

Having said that, a left field suggestion might be to put Konate in there at a pinch, knowing that we have four good central defensive options. If Henderson and Fabinho are injured - not hugely unlikely at a given time - we might look at the stature of the midfield and risk being overrun. That’s why I’m suggesting Sangare, or if no midfield signing this summer, I have a vague recollection that Konate might be able to do the role of the #6 midfielder, if need be.

1 Like