Who would you buy?

I think Carvalho is going to shock a lot of people. He’s very good.

1 Like

Can you imagine the outcry if Mo left and we didn’t bring in a clear replacement? We made one of the largest purchases (the potential to be the largest) in our history to replace Mane and still people complain. Just from a fan backlash perspective not replacing Mo in the same window he leaves is inconceivable.

As others have said, Jota isn’t a right forward nor is Carvalho, Diaz is better on the left, Nunez is probably our main main down the middle. Firmino isn’t going to play there either so unless Elliott or Gordon turn into the second coming of Messi between now and next summer we’ll have to go into the market for a replacement if that’s when Mo goes.

1 Like

I’m not against the idea, I’d love for us to double dip into the big money market and get both a midfielder and a winger next season - right now I just struggle to see it. Unless we can get a Diaz-type deal in that we get the winger for around 40m. Eitherway we aren’t going to bring in a player of the calibre or standard of Salah, at least not immediately but we will look for someone who has potential to grow.

Carvalho is 19, his best position is not fixed yet but eventually I agree he’ll be more central. I expect to see him used right across the frontline while he is young though.

Another option, that is beginning to look more likely because of how he was used last season is to move Trent into midfield instead of going big there for a signing. Have Bradley/Ramsay (or Williams if he us not sold) for right back - who will both be 20 by then and that would free up the capital to go after a big time right forward.

1 Like

Unfortunately , he wont make the england midfield squad even if there are more than 2 key injuries and if he gets a move to a team like west ham which uses him well.

His talent was never in question and he would probably have been the second choice #8 if he got rid of his injury issues. Liverpool took an expensive gamble on him with only one year on his contract and hes been middling at best. Needless to say the move hasnt panned out as well as both the sides have hoped.

I do think TAA will go into a midfield position , a right sided #6. But that is two seasons down the line atleast. Once the likes of Henderson retire and we need him to step up to be the next long term captain

1 Like

True, whoever comes in won’t be Salah on day one but surely that makes it all the more pressing to get them in during the summer when Salah leaves and not give it another year. I have high hopes for Carvalho too, perhaps even more so than Elliott but he’s not going to be a long term option on the right if we’re playing inverted wingers.

No idea why, in a team built around attacking fullbacks, we’d move one of the best in the world into a different position. It’s one thing to float into that space during a game when you’ve got three other centre mids there but it’s another entirely to actually be playing there week in, week out. Complete non-starter for me and for Klopp too it would seem.

2 Likes

Only took Lingard a good half season on loan at West Ham and he was back in the squad pre Euros and just missed the cut. You’d think Ox would at least have the ambition to try and give himself a chance of being in the conversation. Not like England are blessed with players in that area of the pitch. Who had even heard of Connor Gallagher before the start of last season? And James Ward-Prowse can take a set piece for sure but he’s not international standard. It’s a long shot for sure but it’s probably his last one. If it were me I’d be going all out to do anything I could to be in contention and he’s not getting that sat behind Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott and James Milner in our pecking order.

1 Like

IMO we’re two injuries away from bringing in a midfielder in January.

Not too unrealistic considering age / injury records of Keita, Thiago, Henderson, Ox and Milner.

Thats basically every single team.

Chelsea - Kante, Kovacic, Mount, Jorginho, Loftus-Cheek
City - Rodri, De Bruyne, Silva, Gundogan

3 Likes

We had 3 or 4 midfielders out for decent chunks of last season, occasionally going up to 5.

We’ll be fine. Elliot, Jones and Carvalho are being treated as if they don’t count.

5 Likes

I’m not sure how this makes sense. If we can do without replacing Salah for an entire season and be okay, why would we need a Salah replacement the following year?

RW in a 4-2-3-1 system? :thinking:

1 Like

What’s the obsession with Trent going into midfield. Man gets about 20 assists a season from right full. Like taking Mo Salah out of RW to be a attacking midfielder

4 Likes

There is a very British thing that the best player plays in CM and was a large part of the resistance from both Becks and Gerrard on being used elsewhere despite those roles getting the most out of them

3 Likes

Same with the obsession to move to a 4-2-3-1.

We’re one of the top sides in the world, the best Liverpool side since the 80’s and yet some people seem obsessed with moving our best players into unfamiliar roles or changing to a system the manager has shown no real interest in using as our main set-up in the decade plus that he’s been coaching.

We’ve a great side and a great way to play. We can evolve without changing our fundamental set up or putting square pegs in round holes that just creates an issue somewhere else in the team that didn’t need fixing.

6 Likes

Thank you @Euphoria and @rab

1 Like

I am curious how Trent sees himself. Does he want to be playing in midfield?

I’m sure Trent doesn’t care what his position is as long as he wins the Ballon D’or!

Players have a habit of thinking they know better than a manager, see mr Stevie G :slight_smile:

Bill Murray Film GIF

2 Likes

He’d stand more chance of winning Balon D’ors in a midfield role. The people who decide on these things rarely recognize defenders.

I don’t want him to play in midfield though myself.