Who would you buy?

I’m by no means obsessed with the idea, it’s just an idea to get around the problem of trying to find high level midfielders and attackers in the same transfer window. From what we have seen so far we don’t seem rich enough to pull that off. Maybe we can do it, maybe we can’t I don’t know.

Also, it’s perfectly possible to evolve and not rely on wingbacks being the main attacking outlet. If we need to shift how we play, we will.

1 Like

Anything for you baby

No I get the idea. Seen England try it I believe with Trent. I just see it mentioned on here and Twitter and picked to respond their because I’d never respond to a tweet on twitter but atm our midfield is very work man like no much creativity (harsh but not the aim imo). We do have Thiago etc but Trent isn’t that type of player. I get all this could change and I can’t comment then cause it’s too hypothetical. If Jürgen wants to move it, I understand and agree with him if he can make Trent assist and score more than he does now. But our team has many brilliant traits, and Trent at right back is probably the biggest of them all. I can’t imagine it being better moving him imo.

I don’t really see the point in dying on the hill either way.

Trent is a great right back. In our current set up he could also be a great right sided ‘8’. I reckon he could also operate in a ‘2’ in midfield. He’s picking up ‘midfield’ positions regularly now anyway, he’s hardly just a basic overlapping full back anymore.

Players can change roles over time. The balance of the team can change over time. Trent has the qualities to play elsewhere. Think it’s worth keeping an open mind over instead of ridiculing the idea, as long as the idea that he’s rubbish at right back isn’t the thinking behind moving him (which nobody here is claiming as far as I can tell).

2 Likes

Absolutely. At the moment I don’t see what the benefit would be. I don’t see how moving him would be of benifit to the team, or how it would help him make better use of his ability.

That doesn’t mean I deny the benefits exist, it could just be I’m not able to picture it. So yeah, like you say, keep an open mind, don’t rule it out. Suddenly it’s there, making sense.

1 Like

He can’t play midfield… he can’t defend…

Think we’ve found Mo’s replacement.

I half wonder if Jeremy Doku will start to show a bit more end product, and we might go in for him next summer as a mid priced right winger, while saving the bulk of our budget to go big on Bellingham.

We like pace, and Diaz, Nunez and Doku would scare the crap out of defences. Jota will have a lot to say too, and Carvalho is a smashing player who is going under the radar a little due to his price, and the bigger signings we have made in Nunez, and not so long ago, Diaz.

No need to tell me that Doku has a lot to prove - I know! But he has some raw attributes that very few others possess, and if we can harness those attributes he could potentially be a very effective player.

2 Likes

I think we will go for CM and RW/F in the same window.

Basically Diaz probably replaced Mane in the in goings/outgoings. So you’ve got the outlay on Darwin Nunez whose cost will come down once we start to shed a few.

It will be up to Elliot and Carvalho to show what they are made of really. Club might have gone and already replaced players and we didn’t notice. I do think Bellingham will be the one we sign mind.

I think the funds are always there if Klopp wants them anyhow I think this idea we won’t flash the cash if we need is a mistake, we are willing to go a summer without if it lands our target.

We probably haven’t spent what we could have for some years (I know Covid plays a part), but take last year Klopp knew what he had and he knew Konate was key addition, you can say all you want about missing out but we missed out to dodgy officiating and a slow start, VVD is fully up to it I don’t think we see Brentford or Brighton happening.

2 Likes

It’s going to be Bellingham and Bowen

1 Like

The winter World Cup changes the dynamics of the January transfer window a bit imo.

Our last game before players leave for Katar is November 12th.

First game after the World Cup is December 26th.

Transfer window opens 5 days later.

Deals can unofficially be done in November. So especially for players who don’t go to the World Cup there is more time to integrate them at a new club.

According to some reports in Germany this morning Nkunku is set to extend his contract for another year until 2025 but the new contract has a release clause for next summer (around €65m).

1 Like

I think Salah signs a new contract at the end of the window, 3 year extension. Mane going probably means we can go that little bit higher.

1 Like

That Nkunku news could be one to keep an eye on as a Salah replacement next summer, not a like for like but we’re not going that route anyway.

5 Likes

True, but a big chunk of that was a freak eye injury. Not all injuries automatically mean injurie prone…

5 Likes

Jones had a concussion at the start of the season that he suffered in a friendly, an eye injury suffered in training and covid. Might have had one small muscle problem too.

Bad luck rather than anything indicative of someone likely to get injured in the future.

4 Likes

I hope Jones has a big season. With some of our midfielders getting on in years, and the likelihood of strengthening the position next summer, Jones could really stake a claim here.

I do think he suffers slightly from familiarity bias, if that’s even a thing. Local lad, we know his game, and arguably we are a bit too critical. Given his age, to have come through at a team like this Liverpool, and to hold his own, is remarkable. If he were at another club we might well be talking about buying him for a hefty sum to refresh an aging midfield.

He is currently a squad man, who will see a fair amount of action. If he grabs his opportunity he might take a step forward to being more of a regular. The talent is certainly there and I’d be made up if he did it.

I’d be happy with a future main midfield trio of Bellingham, Jones and Elliot, assuming they all kick on and learn what they need to as they continue to emerge.

1 Like

I hope Jonesy puts on a bit of ‘beef’ aswell…more shoulder power to fend of defenders n midfielders…

It demonstrates he’s soft and needs to learn to play through niggles.

:neutral_face:

What was the problem with Gini’s last season with us? Other than us running him into the ground cos he was the only one who could stay fit?

I think his pressing numbers were down because we essentially moved away from the pressing game, sitting a lot deeper to accommodate the injuries.

1 Like