Who would you buy?

Can’t we sign someone at any time? Bring them in before the world cup, get them learning the system and register them on 1st January. Kone isn’t likely to go so lets pull the trigger on him.

I’m not sure about players, but I’d be having a serious look at how much it costs to get a decent refereeing performance. I’d love to know what the going rate is for what Oliver did today.

2 Likes

This is an odd one for me. On the one hand I like that we do not get in the ref’s ear and whine - we do so more now than we did but that was always going to be the case once we started our decline. On the other hand there are clear instances where calls are falling on the wrong side in term of “going” our way and more importantly also clear calls that are just not called. Surely there is a way to get a strategy in play that helps us out - not necessarily the players but less visible processes via official and back channels.

Probably out of our budget…which would explain why we never get any decisions.

If klopp really wanted Nunes that joined wolves why didn’t we go for him?

Bellingham
Caicedo
Kone
Joao Gomes

Two midfielders from this list. Refresh the engine room. Get some athleticism in there.

Whisper it quietly but Mo’s goose looks cooked too. I’m sure he will improve and get some form back, but he looks like he needs a good break to me, and arguably is not worth the contract we gave him, although he sort of had us over a barrel as it was that or leave on a Bosman. Still, I wouldn’t be averse to a talented back up to Mo, to put pressure on him and eventually replace him, as the attack is renewed.

But as everyone in the world knows, our midfield is the problem, and is in urgent need of a refresh.

2 Likes

Do they though? Keep hearing pundits and supporters moaning about the defense and attack. The 900 lb gorilla in the room needs to be addressed. Our midfield this year has been run around and played through almost at will. Fabinho looks like he aged 5 years in 5 months. Hendo is a shell of his former self. And, for all the quality plays Thiago makes, he is a defensive liability that goes for the cheeky play too often when just possession and recirculating the ball will do.

Elliott and Carvalho are talented players, but young, small, and suited to a no. 10 role. Curtis can’t get/stay fit, and may not have the quality. It is imperative this squad overhauls the midfield ASAP. 2 of ROTW’s 4 above would be a good start. Darwin, Diaz,Jota, Elliott, Carvalho, TAA, Gomez, Konate, Tsimi are all quality youngsters to lead us in the future, but what is lacking is the engine room guys. Caicedo and Jude would be my hope, but we defo need a couple, and soon.

3 Likes

People need to get over the the Bellingham dream. He’s going to have the pick of the top teams in Europe. Why would he join a mid table team in crisis?

Because

• this crisis isn’t going to be a permanent thing

• Jurgen Klopp

• Trent

• He is Liverpool fan along with his whole family

• Jordan Henderson

Take your pick, really. If he primarily wants money then he’d be better off looking elsewhere, but nowhere else is going to have the attraction of playing for favourite club, for a manager he hugely admires, alongside his best mate in the game and his mentor.

2 Likes

Pessimistic Paul (pulls out his black hat to) retort:

this crisis isn’t going to be a permanent thing

But just why risk transition and rebuilding and seeing through the spin about our decline with Cheaty and Sandcastle buying and bribing their way to the top; Chelsea and even Arsenal and ManU plus Spurs not going away. May just look too much like playing bridesmaid at Dortmund again.

Jurgen Klopp

Doesn’t have the aura of 18 months ago - there is no guarantee that he will be enough of a lure alone

Trent

Looks injured, won’t be at the world cup and getting savaged across media - Jude may feel he needs to ‘aim higher’ than his mate.

He is Liverpool fan along with his whole family

So was Kevin De Bruyne apparently

Jordan Henderson

Should have the millie role next year and really the appeal of coming to us would be that Jude would immediately be the main guy who would need to drag our midfield back to the top rather than having a couple of seasons to bed in and learn from Hendo.

3 Likes

If you did not like this one, just wait what the PL have in store for us next week, born and raised in Manchester comes to mind …

I agree with most of this but Klopp is an odd for me, 18 months ago, if you are going make the argument stick with 3 months ago.

The guy almost won the Quadruple it’s the one thing I expect to see happen, he will turn it around he did so even in the dreaded 7th season at Dortmund.

That’s why we need to just keep pace as I do think we will be better in the 2nd half.

2 Likes

Sure. I was just trying to cast each point in the worst light - as pessimistic paul, if you will.

1 Like

Get Bennacer from AC milan Bellingham is beyond our means plus RM snap up all the midfielders we have been linked with

Our famed front three is now down to just Mo who starts regularly and he was taken off yesterday for, allegedly, not doing anything to help defensively. What I am seeing, at least in part, is an attack that is relatively new and not being as remotely good as we’ve been used to seeing at working collectively to start the press. The result is opposition midfielders able to receive the ball in midfield either on the half or full turn, and our midfielders in turn having to defend in a much bigger area of the pitch than they have in the past. So much of the press starts from the attack, and with the turnover we’ve had there it kind of makes sense that it’s not gelling.

7 Likes

Wouldn’t mind a little double dip on Ajax for Jurrien Timber and Edson Alvarez. Would certainly add a bit of pace and mobility in the middle of the field.

Enzo Fernandez at Benfica also.

Brugge’s Onyedika could also be interesting.

3 Likes

Spoiler Alert for january:

'Díaz, Arthur, Ox and Naby will be like new signing for the rest of the season. We won’t bring in any new players‘ - Jürgen Klopp

2 Likes

Just you wait, FSG will be throwing money at Klopp and begging him to spend it. :grinning:

I would be surprised if we did not add a quality midfielder in January. Someone who will be here for the long haul, beyond the clear out that is coming. Then another, maybe two more, in summer, depending on how deep the midfield reset goes.

January options? Hard to say, but Kone, Fernandez, Joao Gomes, Caceido might all be in play.

2 Likes