Who would you buy?

How about Davy Klaassen?

Everton weren’t good enough for him :wink:

The only one who could become good enough from the PSV to play for us is Xavi Simons but het has to put on 5 kilo of muscle.

1 Like

I think that applies to most players outside PL.

2 Likes

What about the Dutch league in general? There must be a few gems even at the lesser clubs there, the national team has always produced more talented players than the Brits.

1 Like

There are lots of midfielders around who would be varying degrees of “drop in and play”

Tier 1 - Bellingham, Valverde, De Jong, Barella, Wirtz, Guimaraes
Tier 2 - Fofana, Laimer, Caicedo, Fernandez, Florentino, Nunes

I’d love us to test Newcastle’s resolve for Guimaraes but it’s unlikely…

Guimaraes (24), Florentino (23) and Caicedo (20) would be such a good midfield.

Yes I’d be selling Fabinho and letting Keita and Ox leave on free’s to make room.

Have you seen them lately? We are strong in defense but that’s about it.

I don’t see Dutch teams outside of Europe anymore, if you watch Vitesse against Heerenveen it is if you are watching a different a different sport.

If we got CL and Newcastle didn’t it could happen, unlikely… The other two are certainly attainable for around £50mil I believe (i.e. one Jude…)

Hopefully we see one of the above list (or similar my knowledge is certainly not the clubs!) in Jan and the evolution starts…

That doesn’t matter, when was the last time a Dutch team won a European trophy? All their talents get poached early on. Same goes for Portuguese and French leagues which is why their teams never in with a chance to win a European cup despite their leagues producing better talented players than England.

Portugal Netherlands and France all win major tournaments before England for this very reason.

If Wolves still can’t score a goal all season it’s worth keeping an eye on Nunes and Neves. Both will be gone in an instant if they manage to get relegated.

3 Likes

How is Nunes doing? Obviously lots of links to him before he moved to Wolves, does he look the sort of player we would want?

As for deals for Wolves, they appear to be flexible on their transfer deals so I would think it would be easy for us to sign either of these two if we wanted them.

Good shout, mainly on Nunes added him to my list!

Think it’s fair to say he’s not pulling up trees at the moment. Wolves are using him as an attacking midfielder who moves down the right hand side (think Elliot when we were playing 433) when clearly he should be playing a role similar to Thiago, as he did for Sporting. He’d be far more suited to our current formation or old 433 than this weird system Wolves have been trying to play.

2 Likes

I think we can forget about signing players from Newcastle, apart from if they don’t want them (so at that point, why would we?) or if they are winding their contract down to maximize their options.

Guimares is a crown jewel at the richest club in the world. As a sporting prospect, we are bigger and better (while we go through a reset and they continue their rise, that gap will narrow).

But as far as having the financial ability to move Newcastle’s hand, we don’t.

When he went there, was it 38M?, he would have been a great signing for us. At this point the Guimares ship has sailed.

And a perfectly good club like Newcastle, representing a town full of good people not unlike Liverpool, has been massively sullied.

Where there was once some sort of a nice feeling for Newcastle, that has now gone. And as they add more an more fans who will turn a blind eye, content to revel in their good financial fortune, antipathy towards them will grow.

4 Likes

I’m probably in the minority here, but I’d rather we not deal with Newcastle.

8 Likes

I could go with that.

Except by twatting them 5-0 everytime.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if Kelleher will be willing to stay for another season playing bit-part role.

2 Likes

Long way to go this season yet.

2 Likes

It’s a tricky one. He is good enough to forge his own path. At some point he will have to fly the nest before Alisson hangs up his gloves.

Hopefully we will have a buy back in there, just in case Kelleher becomes world class. On the evidence we’ve seen so far, he has a chance. At the least, I expect him to be a solid Prem keeper.

If Pitaluga develops as we hope he might, he is of the age where he could take over from Alisson as there’s more of a gap there, so as one winds it down the other will be good to go.

3 Likes