Who would you buy?

Exactly my point, the fact you needed to ask sums up that none of them have been a success.

Out scouting network outside UK/Europe has been non-existant.

Could’ve, should’ve would’ve…Trossard…but I always thought he was quite tall…looks a shorty…

I agree with waiting for a special player, like Bellingham. Hopefully we get him.

I don’t fully agree with waiting for a lesser player to go with Bellingham, if that’s what we are doing, as there are surely alternates who could be acquired to help us this season.

If the owners are taking a long term view that’s fair enough, but all signs point the other direction to me - putting the club up for sale in whole or part, presiding over the exit of a lot of important off-pitch staff at the club, redeploying Mike Gordon to have less of a hands on approach linking owners and club, to focus on the sale/investment of the club. And then while it is not a prerequisite for overseas owners to be there all the time, it feels to me as though we are seeing Henry and Werner less and less.

All that is to say they look like they are selling up to me, not planning for the long term at LFC.

We bought Phil from Inter Milan. By the time he played his first game in Italy everyone with even a passing interest in youth football knew who he was and how highly rated he was - you didnt need scouts doing good work in remote places to know of him. That deal is only representative of what our scouting needs to do if you think we dont need scouts and can get by by sounding our former managers about which players they like.

1 Like

Lijnders can’t be everywhere at once mate.

1 Like

I’m probably at odds with most on this thread (and of course I would be, given the main topic of this thread) on this.

I don’t mind it at all, I don’t mind that clubs effectively get rewarded for how well-run they are. As much as I hate United, they did in a way “earn” most of their success. However, the billionaire toys and sportwashing vehicles have distorted modern football even more, not to mention the Spanish clubs who always somehow manage to avoid bankruptcy.

At least with football run as a business without the injection of outside funding, there is some notion of sporting merit. It’s not just the work on the pitch but off the pitch as well.

3 Likes

Ødegaard springs to mind…

Perhaps getting off-topic here, but I don’t feel as though the turnover is very unusual. We definitely usually have a level of turnover in our medical staff. To put it in a different way, if there wasn’t talk about the owners selling up, no one would bother that much about the turnover in the backroom.

Gordon’s change in role hasn’t been announced by the club, has it? The best that you can get about it is the supposed in-the-know journalists, who have been shown over and over again to not be in the know yet so many people trust them so much. Even then, I doubt he was ever involved that much in the day-to-day running of the club.

There’s way too much being read into the fact that FSG hired two banks to look at interest in the club.

We will see soon enough if they are planning for the long haul at Liverpool. I think their eye is on an exit and signs point in that direction for me, but if they are still here for years to come, whatever long term is defined as, it will be clear as we go.

Edit:
If they do stay, I think they are about the best owners we can get in a rules based order. The disappointing aspect is that the rules have been trampled over and the authorities have allowed it, and not protected the integrity of the game.

If they stay, ideally it will be along the lines Mascot and others have suggested, and they will be willing to take on debt to overhaul the squad where needed, and not just debt for infrastructure.

1 Like

Absolutely correct.

Without the cheating of other clubs, aided by the authorities, everybody on this forum would be praising FSG.

2 Likes

FSG mentioned previously they’re open to investment since around 2016. Roughly seven years. So hardly new. Selling the club outright perhaps they’re more open to that now.

1 Like

You know what I mean whatever that statement was.

:roll_eyes:

All i mentioned was FSG have been open to investment since around 2016. Whether you or others might have known this, not sure.

The implication the club have changed their approach and or in a holding pattern, despite signing a player, sure maybe, but quite possibly not. Nothing outrageous there.

Investment could come in the form of debt ableit your paying interest rather than dividends and caputal growth…perhaps debt to equity!!

Sorry not feeling best, basically what I was focusing on was the statement which yeah no one was really sure what it meant.

There is much more they can do in terms of infrastructure.

Agreed, but with the Anny Rd nearing completion, the next big area that needs some cash is the squad. First and foremost a midfield overhaul.

I don’t think they have the stomach to take on manageable debt for meaningful player acquisition, like Kroenke for example, but we will see.

1 Like

That’s what I mean. There isn’t much else left to do.

The club can carry some manageable debt, and I think it would be five to borrow to front load a few summers of spending.

1 Like

The highest attendance recorded for the Kop in a single game was 30,000 fans…!
Imagine the noise at that game

Is there any chance of getting the Brighton scouting team on loan for the rest of the year?