Who would you buy?

Not disagreeing with your post specifically, just an observation that I was thinking about generally.

So often I watch these videos and can imagine them playing how they do in our team, but surrounded by better players, and we hear from their former managers and expert journalists like Ballague or Vickery about what they will bring to our team, and then we sign them, and then they never play in the same style or score goals of the variety they become famous for ever again.

Not that they aren’t good players and can’t contribute, but players like Diaz, Nunez and Keita (not just because of injuries) that we own seem completely different players to those i remember seeing on youtube before we signed them.

Japanese players are coached hard on their technique and a strong emphasis on ‘fighting spirit’. I think the main difficulty in bringing them into the premier league has been down to their physique. In my opinion those that look robust enough should always be scouted.

2 Likes

“Next Mitoma” while Mitoma himself is still at a grand total of 21 games for Brighton. Let Mitoma fully become Mitoma before announcing a new Mitoma!

:joy:

4 Likes

To be honest, the main difference, for me, is their finishing. I said it ages ago, it took me two matches to predict that Keita would be on Liverpool’s radar, and I think he’s still exactly the kind of player he was at Leipzig with one notable difference - his goal and assist output is much smaller. Luiz and Nunez were regular goalscorers in Portugal but are really struggling with their finishing at Liverpool…

Pressure of playing for such a club, pressure of a huge price tag, pace of the league, maybe they all play a part in it. In Keita’s case, there are also injuries that took away his rhythm. I’m pleased that Luiz and Nunez are Liverpool players, though, I hope that goals will start flowing for them once they are over their respective issues and once this abomination of a season is over.

Yes, I agree, I think all three are top players and can’t wait to see this team next season when we’ve added (hopefully) a bit of consistency to the midfield.

2 Likes

Bajcetic! We should buy that lad.

I couldn’t be happier he’s a red. Obviously only just starting out, so I don’t want to be unrealistic, but how much would that lad cost?

He is going to button down a starting spot for us sooner rather than later. Already has, but then he will be in and out the side a bit, you would think, as he puts on a bit of muscle and emerges fully as a player.

Before long the Spain midfield will be Bajcetic, Gavi and Pedro.

I wonder what the Liverpool trio will be?

1 Like

Bajcetic, Gavi and Bellingham.

3 Likes

Sign me up for that!

No chance for Gavi, one would think… unless Barcelona continue to stumble along as a poorly run outfit, at which point, taking advantage might be possible at some stage.

But you would have to think they would do everything in their power to not let that happen.

1 Like

Has he decided on his international career? Would be nice if he follows in the footstep of his father who’d want him to represent Serbia.

Aren’t Barca struggling to get him to renew his contract due to issues with the League? I read he could be on a free this summer.

1 Like

Here’s hoping!

1 Like

Not yet, but it seems like he will continue playing for Spain. I mean, a senior Serbia call might come sooner than a senior Spain call. So he might have to wait. If he’s born and raised in Spain, it wouldn’t surprise me if he feels more Spanish than Serbian.

He signed earlier this year, but there are still legal squables over its validity. La Liga have refused to acknowledge it, because it significantly changes the terms of his contract that was registered with them at the beginning of the season and they claim Barca dont have the room to do it. So he has signed, but according to La Liga, they are only acknowledging his soon to be expiring youth team contract. A Spanish court has sided with Barca, but seemingly only provisionally and supposedly not with good grounding.

So theoretically there might be a window to land him in the summer as a “free transfer”, but his stance has seemingly always been to be fully committed to playing for them. Unlike Pedri, he is a genuine Barca product having been there since he was a young kid, and so you get the get the connection even if the club are in a mess

Any takers for Romeo Lavia when Southampton go down?

Natural 433 midfielder, loads of potential. Similar to Bajcetic in that he could cover the 6 and the 8.

Carvalho on loan a possible sweetener that makes sense.

4 Likes

Decent shout. All depends on the budget, for me. If we have a nice amount, I’d like to shop higher up. If we have enough to cover Bellingham, and not too much else, then the like of Lavia might come into play.

100% would take Lavia. I’ve said my bit elsewhere so won’t bother going over old ground but he’s a tremendous player.

Honestly anyone from that City academy is worth taking a punt on and he’s one of the better ones to come from there.

1 Like

Is the current situation

Absolutely , he’s excellent already and the potential is really high.

Why would we send a player with over 50 senior apperences in both Premier League and Chcampionship on loan to a lower division?

If they manage to stay up I could understand a loan in the P/L, but for him to drop back down to the Championship would be a massive step backwards

1 Like

Most of those appearances were in that division.

He hasn’t shown much this year to suggest he’s ready to play in the premier league but he’d play every game in the championship.

Regardless, the main benefit would be signing a better player in Lavia.

1 Like