Who would you buy?

Yes, put me down for Kone and Bellingham. Add Bajcetic and we are in business in that midfield for years to come.

2 Likes

I can see us getting 70-80m from sales this summer, plus another 30m a year on wages saved for the players leaving.

I’d be delighted to see 3 new midfielders come in tbh and roll on August.

Locatelli + Barella + Adams (or maybe go out and find a little young gem we can integrate in, Baturina at Zagreb is a baller)

Another RB who’s actually reliable and able to deputise if needed would be a bonus - Lamptey, dunno why he’s out of favour all a sudden, think he’s a cracking little player.

Mount is struggling to get to double figures from areas of attacking midfielder and almost second striker, not sure if the chances for that would raise if we’d play him deeper than he usually plays.

Gini was supposed to be this double figures from midfield fella, but we quickly saw he’s limited going forward, then turned him into something different.

As for our targets, right now the understanding by a few top sources is that we want Bellingham and Nunes.

At first, I would’ve said that maybe Nunes is one of the alternatives if Bellingham doesn’t happen, but it seems like we really want both.

I’d say chances are higher for us to get Nunes than Bellingham, but we’ll see if other names pop up in coming weeks/months. If we need an alternative for the latter.

Nunes and Bellingham looks like a well balanced pair of 8s - Nunes on the left collecting it deeper, carrying it through midfield. Bellingham with a little more license to go forward. Both very quick with decent defensive numbers.

We still need a number 6 though. Would be a bit mental to go into next season without addressing the issue.

1 Like

Probably the best Greek talent in the last 20 years and then some. He is 19 with really good technique and vision. He is also a pressing machine although you can’t quite tell from his highlights:

Perhaps someone to keep in mind.

I think we’ll go for two.

It’s not impossible that something happens with Fabinho, but with his age, season he’s having, years on his contract, wages, it might be difficult to sell him. Maybe someone would be willing to take him on loan? I don’t know.

Could see both Hendo and Fabinho playing less, if Fabinho is still here next season because I don’t doubt Hendo will be.

I’d say Bajcetic is on a good way of being here next season as a proper member of the first team squad.

So it’s more like what do we do with someone like Jones. I can see us going into a season with let’s say 7+1 (the 1 being Milner). But not really 8+1.

This is all still dependant to a certain extent what do we qualify for. CL, EL, Conference or no Europe at all.

Just cant see it happening. I think Fabinho will be given another season to regain some form and we’ve got Stefan who is looking pretty special at the moment. I’d rather get an 8 who can play 6 like Caicedo or Kone over a Nunes or Mount.

1 Like

It’s not form. Its legs. And they’re gone. And they’re not coming back.

If he needs 5 game breaks to play one decent game then he’s done for us

1 Like

Fabinho legs gone. Milner midfield legs gone. Hendo legs gone. Thiago never had legs. Jones struggling to find his. Harvey has very short legs.

2 Likes

And Naby? :face_with_peeking_eye::joy:

Two broken ones…

I think Henderson with a managed game time is fine, you expect him to run around like a 25 year old Hendo for 40+ games then no that’s why you need a reliable Midfield to call on.

Personally I’d keep Milner again with 5 subs these players are useful and though he messed up once challenge last night he got three spot on.

Question is do you keep both and where do you expect them to play.

I would personally see what Fabinho can do, looked leggy again at times but the horror shows we have seen haven’t reappeared in the last two.

Personally I’d be looking at 2CM and a CB

2 Likes

If there are no offers for Fabinho, then he likely stays, due to length of contract, salary and so on. His performance level this season will probably mean there are no offers, or they are so low that we might as well keep him.

If we sign two midfielders - Kone and Bellingham for me, then along with Bajcetic that is everything covered in a midfield trio. Then we use the best of what the old guard has left in the tank as a new thing emerges.

If the two midfielders are Bellingham and Nunes, that would be good too, but then it puts Bajcetic into the number 6 role. That may be his future, but it was intriguing to see him play as an 8. He’s just starting his career but he looks like he can do a bit of everything so far.

So Bajcetic behind Bellingham and Nunes; or Kone behind Bellingham and Bajcetic?

I think I’d prefer the latter, but either option is well ahead of where we are now.

I’ve been really struck by how open Klopp has been recently in talking about Fab’s lack of form. Klopp never hides from calling the players out, but he rarely singles out a player the way he has done a few times recently with Fab. Even after this game, it was a bit of a backhanded compliment in that acknowledging he played well he had to point out that it was about time.

I don’t think Klopp would project a move he feels need to make by publicly calling out the incumbent player, and so it could maybe a last attempt to knock a unfocused player’s head straight. Either way, it’s pretty clear that Klopp has been as frustrated with him recently as many on here.

3 Likes

I think Klopp is well into planning his midfield overhaul, there are so many top players available come the summer.

Kone, Sucic, Thuram, Ugarte, Caicedo, Luis, Le Fee to name a few, alongside Bellingham. He must have watched an 18 year old come straight in and lift the side and really question the loyalty shown. I think Bajcetic has opened Klopps eyes a fair bit.

3 Likes

I don’t think it has made any difference to his thinking. Comments earlier in the season suggested he already saw a lot of potential in Bajcetic.

But we shouldn’t put too much pressure on that lad.

Not in terms of him being a long term prospect here, more a case of fuck me how bad has my midfield really been if this 18 year old is now my best midfielder after 2 games!!

1 Like

???

Where do you see us getting that money from? Can’t imagine we will get anywhere close to that without selling Salah to the Middle East which is very unlikely.

Phillips might get us 12m. Matip 20m if we sell him?

Kelleher Gomez and Jones would easily fetch 60m