Who would you buy?

If we are going for “as it stands” arguments (and we can’t, as context is key) but still, as it stands, Brighton and Fulham are a step up from Liverpool. Just look at the table!

There’s reason to feel fed up right now, as Real Madrid just whacked five past us at home. But we need to retain some sort of perspective.

Funny how you picked out those 2 and not Newcastle or Utd because I look at the table and I dont see Brighton or Fulham as a step up….dead level with Brighton and probably would be dead level with Fulham after we’ve played our games in hand on them….leaving all 3 teams in the same boat going nowhere, not a bad boat to be in for a Fulham or a Brighton mind you.

You’re honestly saying hand on heart that any club above LFC in a league table is a step up?

I specifically picked those two out because as it stands they are ahead of us, but very clearly they are not a step up from Liverpool. Anyway, it’s a silly argument.

Bellingham will have his pick of clubs. If we have the money, we might still have a chance to sign him. He might want to play for Klopp’s Liverpool, seeing himself as a key part of the rebuild that is already underway but needs to be completed. (As much as you can complete the building of a side, as it’s always a work in progress).

Or Bellingham might prefer to go elsewhere, even if financially we can compete for his signature.

Or we might not have the money to get close to Bellingham, so it’s all a moot point.

Still, Liverpool have gone toe to toe in the Premier League with a cheating Man City side for a few years. We have been to three Champions League finals in the past five years, winning one of them. Compare the coefficient to see what all of Europe thinks about the matter!

We are definitely a step up from Dortmund.

5 Likes

I do not deny we spend money but do remember we had 3 first teamer forwards leave the team in the last few seasons, some of which got us some decent money back ( this is the important part). And Firmino is not a dead-on cert to renew. But that’s another issue to settle another day.

The CM situation is different now. We have no multiple sales in due to 2 expired contracts in the summer that is huge enough to fuel a quality rebuild. And bear that in mind, we haven’t even touched the DM issue yet.

I’m saying FSG will make more than €30M available this summer. I think substantially more.

If I were to guess, I would say €100M plus sales with no investment coming in, and maybe as much as €300M with investment, taking us closer to, but still within, FFP parameters.

If you are right, and the budget is only €30M, then given the revenue we have, and the needs we have, I will be firmly onboard the FSG out bus.

1 Like

I’m sure the ‘budget’ was already higher last season but having a one off figure like that is misleading.

We have a number of players coming off the wage bill, Bonus payments will be low, and the cash costs of transfers are spread across a number of years - so how much there is to spend will take those factors into account.

1 Like

All those “FSG will back Klopp this summer” headlines are pretty grey stuff.

Of course they will back the manager, after the season we’re having so far. Whether we’re 4th or 10th, we know more or less what we have to do this summer on multiple levels.

But what we have to see is how much will it (how much money we can spend net) depend if we get CL, EL, Conference or nothing.

1 Like

Aye. What is a better prospect for next season - Dortmund plus the best player they could possibly sign in the summer vs us with Jude.

2 Likes

Luka Sucic! According to twinternet has a £20mil release clause come summer! We should be all over that.

If we don’t get Bellingham, then I’d hope we go for Barella if Inter don’t get champions league.

Bellingham (Barella) + Kone + Sucic would be an ideal summer for me. I’d love Caicedo but I think he’s well out of our price range with all the incomings we need to fund.

1 Like

Don’t think Sucic is what we need stylistically. He mainly plays #10 in a 4-diamond-2 or as the RCM in the same system. He’s more technical than athletic, although he does have good size/height. Left footed also, by the way.

1 Like

Gomez and Matip will stay.

I think what’s going to happen is we will sell Nat and Rhys, add around £15m to that and bring in a fifth CB.

A new toy but not a shiny one like Gvardiol as many PlayStation fans are hoping.

So here is my view on who we should buy, but also an insight to how i think we can get better next year with what we already have, i have done two options with and without champions league qualification and also a guess at what our budget will be, so here goes:

Qualification for champions league:
£250 mil at least budget hopefully
Bellingham 130-150 mil
Gvaridol 100m
Mount 80 mil

Obviously over my budget i think we would get from fsg, but i would sell fabinho (15-20mil if lucky on current form), jones( 10 -15 mill to forest hopefully) and probably kelleher ( no less than 15 mill with buy back clause) only because he is too good to sit on the bench.
I would then have trent re trained as the holding midielder and switch gomez to right back for the time being.

Without champions leauge:
Probably 50 mil if we are lucky plus sales ( added 40 mil by my most Conservative sales)
Nunez from wolves 50 mil
Gomez to right back
Trent in holding mid
40 mil for another mid with energy, who this is i dont know?

I’d love to sell Nat (for fucks sake let the man go!) and Matip, buy Gvardiol (who is practically begging to come her) and also use Fabinho as centreback cover. That gives us five, and Gomez can also play RB as I’m moving Trent to midfield.

Fabinho and Gomez would raise 35 million sell both.

Both going nowhere.

I thought these threads were about what us as fans would do. :woozy_face::woozy_face:

There could well be a few departures that are not named Adrian, Phillips (although 2 bloody years left on his deal!), Keita and Ox.

We have a big squad on paper, take out Arthur who won’t be here, we have 29 senior players.

If we talk about needing at least 2 new players, some other players will either go or be loaned out.

Not to mention if we don’t quality for CL or even worse.

Some are for novels, some are for flashscore updates in match threads.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes agree, but we might need to keep gomez as cover for right back, milner you would think is in his last year