Who would you buy?

I’d be careful comparing Mount to Gini. Let’s also not forget we have the example of Ox, which didn’t turn out to be great. Mixed success at best, though also unlucky with injuries, but even when he was fit, it didn’t click for longer periods with him in midfield.

Plus, initially, I think we had something different planned with Gini, regardless of him playing deeper here than at Newcastle. I’d say there’s that difference, but also the difference once we had Gini on our hands, saw his strength and limitations and together, he became again something different. I think initially, he was supposed to takeover Coutinho’s role (who played a bit 50-50 either as the attacker off the left or the offensive LCM), but in a more disciplined way.

I think Gini’s first two seasons were very much hot and cold. His importance definitely grew more from 2018 onwards. In 16/17, both Hendo (at #6) and Lallana (as RCM) had better seasons than him, even if numbers wise Gini has a very solid season. Second season, even that dropped and I think we were looking at new upgrades and improvements. I remember ending that 16/17 season, going onto the big stage of CL, feeling objectivelly that Gini is our weakest CM link.

Hence why we moved to sign Ox in the summer of 2017, secured Keita in a big transfer the same summer and 1 year in advance(!). Signed and officially announced Fabinho less than 24 hours after Kiev and were chasing Fekir in following weeks/months of the 2018 summer. Questionable whether we had a change of structure planned or maybe viewed Fekir as a Sturridge replacement, to be sort of a new backup false #9 (or a better, more central Shaqiri, let’s say).

Gini then reacted brilliantly to us basically signing players who were supposed to form a new midfield. The start of 18/19 was among his best periods for us. He came back a different man for the start of that season. Realized his place is under the biggest threat. Fabinho initially struggled (we didn’t even see him for the opening part), Keita initially showed promising signs, but Gini covered both at LCM and also as #6 when Hendo was out. He was fantastic.

I mean, yes, clubs sign players where they have a different idea what to do compared to their ex-clubs. It happens everywhere. Is it always successful and as planned and easy as we like to think? I don’t think so. Gini was a success with time, Ox was very much a mixed bag as a midfielder, more no than yes. And please let’s not go back to a few goals against City to have it as huge CM success (even if I felt he would’ve started the Kiev final and try threaten Real in offensive transitions against Kroos if he was fit, Gini was out for a few weeks around the semi final and nobody really missed him).

Does Mount work hard as an individual, do I see him from the outside as a pretty sound fella who would put the team first, accept certain changes to elevate his career? Yes, I do.

Is this a summer where I want to take a player like him, which would still be a relatively big transfer (fee, wages, status and expectations combined), only to TRY to convert him into a proper midfielder, when we really need one or two precise midfield upgrades and immediately? No, I wouldn’t.

I understand it’s attractive on paper and easy to get seduced, but there are many other right and possibly even better moves for us. Let Chelsea or someone else deal with Mason Mount’s career, let them figure out what to do.

I say this summer, for us, knowing there are no guarantees regardless if it’s Bellingham or Mount, is for no f*cking about or being too clever, but using every penny we have on 2-3 new players who provide elements we absolutely need right now.

1 Like

Pretty sure Klopp knew about Bobby’s decision and it was the main reason to bring in an attacker in January already.

Nunez, Gakpo, Diaz and Jota going nowhere in the summer and the same goes for Salah according to his agent. Means we won’t sign an attacker in the summer.

But it could be another reason why we are interested in Mount who can also cover some positions in attack.

I’d have still held onto Bobby for one more year until we figured out what was happening with Diaz’s knee

if he doesn’t come back nearly the same player, then we’ll have to drop another 30-35M at minimum to replace what Bobby could do without a transfer fee. if he took a drop in wages to stay on another year or two, would Klopp have kept him?

I guess we’ll never know.

1 Like

I think Gakpo replaces Bobby.

If Diaz doesn’t get back to his level because of his knee, Darwin Nunez can play off the left, as we’ve seen. Either way, I don’t see Bobby Firmino as a replacement for Diaz.

With all that said, I will be interested to see what the blend is going to look like up front, as we have a few operators who do good work coming in from the left, so how we are going to balance the options is an open question I am looking forward to seeing answered.

1 Like

Do we have tbe balance wrong with the rcm and lcm, surely it would work better to have our rcm playing a more holding role as this would give more licence for Trent to push up as Robbo is the better defender of the 2?

You have absolutely no idea what Klopp saw or was planning when Gini came same as any of us. You wrote a big essay as if you were a fly on the wall and it’s just your opinion in the end.

There’s more reason to believe Klopp was planning to use him as did rather than buying him for one thing, then all of a sudden a bolt of lightning hits him and he thinks, you know what I’ll use him a completly different way, let’s see how that works out. Well I never he’s pretty good in midfield, who’d have guessed gor blimey?

1 Like

Some things are facts, the rest is only my opinion yes, like most of our posts here.

It didn’t happen suddenly, it was not a massive change, but it evolved during time, especially Gini’s performances.

2 Likes

Just so we’re clear:
My posts on here - facts
Everyone else’s posts on here - opinions

2 Likes

Oh so now its time to talk about him? I’ve been talking about him for two years :rage:

2 Likes

I was going to say the only reason i had heard of him was through your posts! (Thanks for that!)

2 Likes

Left winger who cuts in onto his right foot? We are short of those! Sign him up.

I’ve not seen him, but by the stats alone it commands attention. If Man City fail to keep hold of him, and we snap him up, it would be hilarious.

I checked him out online and he can also play right wing, which we need much more, but he does most of his work coming in off the left. Speed, goals, there’s a lot to like.

Sign him up!

Where is the Diaz might have a severe knee problem coming from?

Worst case scenario thinking? Might be an age thing too - when i was much younger whenever these injuries happened the players never seemed to be the same again with either injuries becoming more frequent or their playing ability impaired somehow?

Medical science, especially in relation to athletes and knees, has made leaps and bounds over the past couple decades. Athletes now often come back as strong, or stronger, on their injured knee. I would expect nothing less from the medical staff at the greatest football team in the land.

I also think it was smart to shut Diaz down as soon as he felt the twinge in training when he came back December. May have kept him from doing more serious damage. The fact that he is running now, right on schedule, is a good sign, IMO.

4 Likes

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

@Sweeting and others

Any young CBs available who we could get on deals similar to Elliott/Carvalho?

Not saying we should buy him, but…

If we talk about new CB talents on the scene across Europe, unknown to most media & fans, but potentially a name to remember and is already being scouted for a while:

Luka Vuskovic could be the next CB from Croatia (after Gvardiol) to attract interest from European clubs.

He recently broke into Hajduk Split’s senior side (although struggling) recently. Made his debut against Dinamo Zagreb 2 days after his 16th birthday. Already got his first goal after 3 games.

Right footed, plays RCB so far (either in a back 3 or 4), 193cm (or 6ft 4in) tall, looks to play out from the back calmly and score goals from set-pieces.

There’s rumours that he could be soon called up to Croatia’s senior side. Comes from a real football family. There are past players, current players, past coaches and directors among his grandfather, father, brother and cousins.

Latest news is that he choose Pini Zahavi to be his agent.

1 Like

We got Billy the Kid coming through

1 Like

Like Rhys - slow as fuck