Who would you buy?

They might or might not. It’s not as if Jair Bolsanaro isn’t supported by a large percentage of Brazillians.

It was reported that Alisson, Fabinho and Firmino all supported Bolsonaro.

Probably because none of them actually have to live in Brazil under his leadership and he has some sort of tax scheme that allowed them to avoid paying any in Brazil.

2 Likes

Richarlison was the one player I saw commented on as not being a Bolsonaro supporter

8 Likes

Isn’t Becker a fairly vocal supporter?

Anyway , point is Moot. Just because Salah has a nuanced political decision making ability doesn’t mean the Brazilians have tp have the same when it comes to Bolsonaro or Gundogan etc when it comes to Erdogan. Guys like Bolsonaro and Erdogan are popular in their countries for a reason.

I think he was critical of Bolsonaro after the handling of Covid19 by him. Also, Saying that there’s no other alternative doesn’t equate out to being a “big supporter”

As i see it, the only point against Gundogan is his salary demands (for his age ) , His previous affiliation with City or his liking for Erdogan shouldn’t be taken into consideration.

I think it’s worthwhile keeping a footballer like Gundogan for a couple of seasons (for footballing reasons) , He’ll raise the standard of midfield and then can be let go of for a smaller amount later when it’s the last year or so of his contract. That is , if, his salary demands aren’t excessive.

And you are looking at the wrong places if you expect footballers to have nuanced political opinions. A Salah is rare and that’s one of the reason why he’s respected as well.

But by and large , our footballers are very likable (even the on field shithouses like Robbo) and the club seems to make it a point to evaluate the character of a person before bringing them in(which does not seem to take into considerations the political leaning tendencies)

I said vocal supporter. And you don’t get to decide what is a moot point either. No one is calling for his head or wants him fired.

4 Likes

I am talking about Singapore timezone. CL league is played mornings at 3 or 4am :sleeping:

1 Like

I am not sure of Gundogan because I am afraid his name might inspire more gun ownership and inspire more violence using guns.

Politics aside, I wouldn’t be against signing Gundogan, but my feeling is that Klopp wouldn’t be interested.

I’m sure he’s commented before, perhaps in regards to Reus, (though I may be getting mixed up) that he is more interested in working with new players than reuniting with players he already worked with.

1 Like

We tried to sign him before he went to City I believe but I doubt we’d want him considering his age and wage demands. He makes sense for Arsenal who are losing Xhaka so need an experienced player to replace him.

We on the other hand have too many experienced players, we need young legs in.

Gundogan is fantastic but he’s like Henderson can play 1 game in 7 days, we need much more than that.

3 Likes

Gundogan is a smashing player. Not sure why he is being discussed, have there been serious links?

Age and wages a concern, and it would be another old timer in the midfield, when we are trying to get some primo athletes in there.

If the blend was right, and we had the youth and athleticism required across the board, I would be for it.

His politics would be irrelevant to me. For the most part, people with a lot of money vote for politicians who they think will keep it that way, especially with lower taxes. His link to Erdogan is a bit off, but that’s a world leader, leaning on some footballers, so what’s he to do?

To be fair, Erdogan was at one point considered an heir to Ataturk and a genuine ally of Europe. I dont recall when exactly things started turning but know many Turks here whose attitude towards him has changed drastically over the years as his approach to leadership has changed.

EDIT: The “coup” was 2016, right? So yeah, saying this in 2018 is probably not defensible by that argument.

2 Likes

Do I have to use the worst person meme twice in 2 days?

Yes, and I can’t be very fond of them because of that.

Your point is valid for the club to take.

Doesn’t mean I have to like them as people even if they play for us.

2 Likes

While I consider myself religious in many ways but once a nation is being run and ruled using religious factors and playing up to the religious factions, regardless which religion is that, I think the nation will never benefit its citizens in a positive way. I think it seems that Turkey suddenly decided to move in a more religious hardline way if I am right?

1 Like

As for players having a differing politic inclination, its fine with me. Of course, I don’t have to agree with them but that does not mean they cannot have a good career with us. Should not influence, in most parts, whether we should buy them or not.