Who would you buy?

It’s difficult to say with much conviction for a lot of reasons given how young they are. Especially for Thuram as any analysis of how Thuram has played for Nice is massively impacted by the fact he’s had 5 different managers in his 4 years there and they have used him slightly differently. But if you’re looking at evolution it appears from the various scouting reports that he has started to play a deeper role. One I read suggested that Galtier team’s was unbalanced with overloads on the right so he was often used to bolster the left side…essentially the Fabs role in the midfield 2x2 box.

Kone seems like a more traditional box to box player who has been compared to Bissouma’s performances at Brighton. This suggests a best fit as one of the two 8s in our old midfield 3, but maybe less suited to either of the roles in the new 2x2 (too constrained to replace Fab and not quite sophisticated enough for the more attacking role of either of the advanced 8s)

Either way, as I said a few days ago, I think it will be really instructive to watch the French U21s this summer to see how their manager pairs them

3 Likes

I’ve seen this a few times now but why would someone be coming in January?

2 Likes

Quite a lot of our very good transfers have come in January.

Jones/Thuram/Kone are all 22.That’s not far away from Mac Allister and all a year older than his team mate at brighton, Caicedo.

2 Likes

Yes. But no one between 24 and 32-33.

Isn’t that the peak age ?

Make it happen new TD guy …

https://twitter.com/AnfieldWatch/status/1667497243413184512?s=20

Not according to the central midfield thread

Valverde(24)Tchouameni(23)Camavinga(20),
Bellingham (19).

I take only intermittent interest in the youth tournaments, but with the links we’re seeing for this window, this year’s EURO U21s will be worth a watch.

There are a bunch of relevent players playing for Holland - Van Der Ven and Van Den Berg as CBs, Gravenberch in midfield. The younger Timber brother in CM as well, which I dont know if the links to us are serious or more just along the line of emerging players to keep an eye on. They also have Brobbey up top who I’ve linked to Utd.

I dont know if our squad has been officially announced yet, but Elliott is likely to play as is Colwill, as are less exciting links like Leicester’s Thomas and Connor Gallagher. Morton has been on the fringes of the side and so may be involved depending on how many players make themselves unavailable.

I know none of the German players other than Moukoko. Do any of our German crew have any insights if there is anyone else identified as someone to watch?

I dont think we’re even unreliably linked with any of the players from Spain or Portugal but they always have players worth watching.

3 Likes

Hope you get the mandatory 10 matches :innocent:

No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like

Outing yourself as an ITK lol

1 Like

Boris Johnson trying to get a new job eh.

Am in Valencia until Wednesday. Anyone you want me to sign from here?

Can you play defensive midfield?

I’ll take Yunus Musah for £15M

Was wondering what all the iraqis do in my hotel.

Turns out their national team is currently playing against Colombia in Mestalla stadium.

So I missed a chance to see Luis Diaz play tonight.

But wouldn’t surprise me to see him dancing in a club later tonight :joy:

Valencia has a very big colombian community.

1 Like

If we are to buy two more players this window, what would you prefer:

1. Two midfielders (a #6 type and a #8 type)
  2. One midfielder (a #8 type) and a CB
  3. One midfielder (a #6 type) and a CB

I think Gomez will be largely used as a backup RB and we will buy a CB this summer.

1 Like

It’s a good question, but tough to answer for me. I would need to see the names. Even then, it is unclear what Klopp might have in mind. For example, some have suggested that Klopp would turn Gravenberch or Thuram into a number 6, but as things stand I see both of those players as more of an 8. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Personally, I don’t think we can make effective use of 3 new CMs. Sure, if those 3 were Rice, Bellingham and MacAlister we could, but we not shopping in that market for 3 new players in a unit in which we already have 6 players.

We know we’re going to need to make additions at CB sooner than later though with Matip going either this summer or next, and Gomez not having done much to earn the faith (of the fans at least) that he’s a suitable 4th choice.

So for me, it’s option 3, with a preference for the next midfielder in being one who can challenge Fab and be a foil for Trent at the base of the midfield.

2 Likes