Who would you buy?

The problem is that for one reason or another, none of our current options appear very reliable. Van Dijk seems to have lost more than a step. Konate isn’t the fittest and had a down year compared to his first one. Matip and Gomez have bad injury records and had a terrible season.

A more dynamic midfield will help mask some of the issues but we need to start planning for van Dijk’s replacement. I don’t know if there is a defender who could offer approximately what van Dijk could in his prime, but in any case we need to bring someone capable of alleviating his workload and hopefully of taking over long-term.

We can’t have another season conceding almost 50 goals.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/AnfieldWatch/status/1670684287660699648?s=20
https://twitter.com/AnfieldWatch/status/1670680796032532483?s=20
https://twitter.com/AnfieldWatch/status/1670683495952154625?s=20

Exactly this :clap:
It’s not just the midfield that needs refreshing. Our backline has become fragile overnight.

1 Like

I’m 44, with clean ankles, but with a dodgy back and chainsmoker, so would be a better option as I fit the youth profile better :wink:

2 Likes

If you can only do 60 mins because of the smoking, we will take it.

I don’t smoke, but I’m carrying a bit of timber, so I will try to rotate in and cover the other thirty mins :joy:

60 mintes? Your sounding like the wif…

Umm, hang on, forget everything I’ve said :joy:

2 minutes then cry for an hour

You’ve been speaking to her then I take it?

You are Naby Keita and I claim my £5

“All 4…”

Kone, Thuram and Viega are at the U21s. Who is the 4th? The Portuguese CB we’ve been linked to is playing, but this specifically mentioned midfield.

EDIT: Duh, Gravenberch

1 Like

Technically all 5 - as Van den Ven also will be there.

Bringing this back up to add details we’ve since learned and address that I somehow completely missed mentioning France

2 Likes

It was specifically referencing midfield

Is it just me who is a little concerned at the players linked? They all seem to be very raw and inexperienced with regards to CL games and International football (not that this is a big indicator but it shows they are some of their countries better players).

In an ideal world we would bring in an Alisson or VVD who is top drawer and can transform the midfield instantly. This was obviously Bellingham. No apparent links to any other players in that top bracket (maybe Barella although I’ve never rated him that highly).

Secondly you bring in a Mane or Salah type player who has that experience and also is on the cusp of becoming a top drawer player. Not that I rate Mount massively but I think he would come into this bracket as well as Mac Allister. If you can’t bring in a Bellingham then you would buy two of these players. Maybe Gravenberch is seen as this type of player?

Then finally you bring in a third midfielder and a centre back in the Konate bracket. A young player who is highly rated who could become either a very good player or even world class. Inacio, VDV, Kone, Thuram and Veiga would come into this bracket.

I know we have an aging squad but I just think we are taking a risk buying a number of players who lack experience. Also, maybe I am talking shite :smiley:

1 Like

First, we’re not in an ideal situation.

Second, we very rarely bring a finished product players at their peak from other top clubs, proven winners.

Third, out of the linked bunch (and obviously Mac already in), there are surely good players for us who can help us improve.

So far, it’s all going in a direction that I expected. A couple of players, some of which fans don’t know a lot about or haven’t seen them play enough.

1 Like

The beauty of being in the Europa League this season is that those players we bring in get a year’s experience at that slightly lower level before we (hopefully) return to the top competition in 2024.

5 Likes

Virgil wasn’t considered top draw when we signed him there was a lot of people saying he was vastly overpriced.

1 Like

That would be MacAlister - He has no CL experience, but is 24, has played in the Copa Libertadores, a couple of years of prem experience, and was one of Argentina’s most heavily used player in their world cup win despite missing their first game. Outside of already established stars, the sort we tend not to go for, due to financial and philosophical reasons, he is about as proven as you can get.

I also think the reality is your first and second category of player is really the same player because what you describe of that second category of player is essentially who Virgil and Alisson were.

2 Likes

Fair enough fellas. I suppose I was saying Alisson and Virg were as much of a sure thing as you could get.

I think if you compare the last time we brought in a number of players at around the same time they were all part of the first/second bracket in Alisson, VVD, Fabinho, Salah, Keita, (Fekir :smiley:) and Ox. I also think a lot of our recent signings are in this category (Jota, Gakpo, Diaz). I just don’t know if we are taking a chance on the players linked (who we haven’t signed yet lol).

1 Like

Would the arrival of one of Thuram/Veiga rule out the purchase of the other - position vise?