Who would you buy?

I expect Mac to be more of a controlling one, but who can also press well, intercept, etc. Question will be with him how is his defending of open spaces and when we’re pushed back a bit deeper.

Fabinho’s place can still be under threat because he’s not the only one who can play his position + it remains to be seen how often we use which structure.

Szoboszlai’s deal would take us currently to more or less £100m net spend.

We don’t have much to sell, maybe Kelleher, maybe someone else and a few bits and pieces.

I wonder if we even have a plan of going for another midfielder or if there is financial and positional room for both that and a new CB. Or will it be only one more CB (+ a cheapish GK if Kelleher leaves) and that’s it in terms of incomings.

1 Like

I think our third signing will be a CB.

2 Likes

The box midfield probably lessens the need for a proper number 6. Hendo, Thiago, Fabinho and Bajcetic will all be options in those deeper roles, along with Trent obviously. Mac Allister might also be an option.

A defender in the mold of Inacio or Timber (Arsenal bound) could also potentially offer another option there too, in a similar way to Trent, Stones and Zinchenko.

3 Likes

Always expected Hendo to be played more on the #6 when he gets older.

Love him but I think it went under the radar how bad he also was last season and more importantly he was very bad when he played #6.

Klopp shown trust in Fab and I am very sure he will still be our main CDM if we don’t sign a third new one.

I have high hopes for Bajcetic but the second year with the first team is usually very difficult for young players.

I was trying to picture whether a box midfield of

Mac Allister - Szoboszlai
Thiago - Trent

If that could would work. I’m still not sure, but Thiago is a better defender than he gets credit for and Trent is a pressing machine in midfield, moreso than he is at RB.

Or maybe Jones in the LAM role with Mac Allister in that Thiago position.

3 Likes

Don’t see Mac in the Thiago role.

At this point , the other alternative is to shift Henderson over to #6

#6 - Henderson / Fabinho / Bajcetic / Thiago

RCM - Dominik / Elliot / Henderson

LCM -Mac / Jones / Thiago

As it stands now. Trent to come in to RCM positional play during transition allowing the RCM to transition towards RW and link with Salah.

This is probably the most likely outcome, I’m wondering how it would look though without Fabinho or Henderson. Theoretically having two CMs behind two AMs could provide enough security without needing one of those CMs to be a purely defensive player. I’d have to see it in a game though to really know.

Mac Allister is a very good footballer, but not the most productive in terms of goals and assists, which is what is making me think we may not want him in the AM position - at least not all the time.

I’m not completely sold on it but I think it could be a system we use.

It can also very much depend on the type of opponent.

Whether it’s more of a 4-3-3 or 3-2-2-3, a hybrid of that two depending if we’re in possession or without it.

To have Mac Allister, Thiago and Jones as the main candidates for that LCM role, in a Liverpool season who are out of the CL, means having fantastic options.

2 Likes

As long as Fabinho and Henderson don’t start a game together , I see your formation being viable. All depends on the lineup and the opposing team, If it’s Gakpo starting ahead of Diaz , I see Gakpo being used more in the LAM role. I increasingly see matches where we change the formations playing to the strengths of the individuals more.

I think the likely bit is that Fabinho will be mostly used to see off games increasingly once the other midfielders get used to the team playing style etc. Henderson will probably still have the energy to press in the #6 role and Trent presses well for a midfielder. Maybe the transition play might well be either of Henderson / Thiago partnering Trent in the deeper midfield roles with Mac - Jones - Gakpo / Dominik - Elliot in the more advanced roles.

All depends on whether we buy a third midfielder and the profile of the third midfielder. If we buy someone who’s versatile enough to play the Gini role , That would change the approach even more.

I do feel if we get Szoboszlai, someone up to now unexpectedly, might leave on loan. Like Elliott.

Not Elliot. Maybe Bajcetic might leave on loan. We’re stocked more on the LCM side but the RCM still needs work especially if Henderson plays as a #6.

I don’t think there is a need is there? Thiago and Matip will be moving on next summer, so keeping our squad together allows for maximum gains ahead of that I would have thought.

1 Like

Calculate Zach Galifianakis GIF

How to avoid seeing Fab starting :crazy_face:

1 Like

It’s one extreme to the other in this place. From some posters suggesting we need ten midfieldes just in case to others wanting to strip us down to bare bones.

3 Likes

I know you’ve been big on getting the squad size down but we currently have 29 players, with 6 leaving (Firmino, Carvalho, Milner, Keita, Ox, Melo) and at least 1 more likely to go (Phillips). That brings us down to 22. Adding in Szoboszlai doesn;t exactly bloat the squad.

I don’t see why Elliott would need to go on loan or what benefit that would be to him. He’s playing a tonne of football here for a 20 year old and will have only Szoboszlai ahead of him for the RAM role next season.

Man City usually carry a smaller squad, difference is we don’t have a magical Spanish doctor doing IV treatments on our players.

3 Likes

100%, he was diabolical last season.

1 Like

Default bread and butter lineup.

1st Transitional Formation where Trent moves to midfield

2nd Transitional Formation where Robbo charges up with the ball when it’s released.

I think we’ll be seeing a lot of these over the year. Now the weaknesses are where we have players with no obvious substitutes

Edit : Elliot as a backup to Szolobszai incase the transfer does go through

I know we won’t really drop our number to 22 (certainly not because either Kelleher stays or we get a new backup GK in and Adrian staying makes it 3). That doesn’t matter. But if we get Szoboszlai in and we still talk about the need/wish of a new LCB (not to mention IF there is financial room for one more midfielder), then it could be a squad of 24-25. Of course I’m not counting Phillips (he’s simply not used unless with have a massive injury crisis), who will almost surely not be here when the season starts (hopefully a sale, but more likely a loan first).

Have we sold Fabinho? I didn’t see him in any formation, even as an alternate.

My take is he is better than he looked for much of last season, and he struggled in a side that lacked cohesion for over half a season. Towards the end, when we got a bit of solidity back, and changed Trent’s role, Fabinho did better.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be open to an upgrade, but for now, I think he stays and probably plays a bit more than most expect.

With the players ahead of him doing their job pressing, I think we mitigate his lack of legs somewhat, and we will be fine.

I see Fabinho, Henderson and Bajcetic as our players who will do the more defensive midfield role between them, possibly Thiago too.

1 Like

I think Fabinho plays a role. That of someone who can be used to see off PL matches or start in the cup ties. I don’t think he should be the guy (after the initial bedding in period) relied upon to start PL matches though.