Who would you buy?

Carry On Mood GIF

I mean, it’s a pretty good reason to not feel up for the second half

Alison Brie What GIF

He was and so were Hendo and Thiago.

But except for two games Klopp trusted him and Fabinho had by far the most starts from all midfielders and I believe the second most minutes from all outfield players.

I know it’s fun to do all those custom formations and setups but my point stands. The competition for Fabinhos position hasn’t changed much with those two midfield signings.

For me it’s a bit funny because many posters wanted him out of the club throughout the season and expected him to be sold.

Anyway we are in the who would you buy thread and I’m sure some journalists will say that we are still in for a third new midfielder and I wonder if a possible third one would have to be homegrown?

Player profile:

• (young) + ‘available’
  • homegrown
  • primary a DM
  • ideally versatile - able to cover #8 or CB or RB

Yep Hendo and Thiago were shit too, not as shit as Fabinho - who suffered a complere collapse of everything positive in his game - but still shit.

I think we will figure out a way to get all three of them out the team pretty quickly.

3 Likes

Problem with Henderson is you can’t play him more than once a week. Same goes for Thiago, if you keep doing that it doesn’t matter where you play them they will be offering you less.

Elliott will play plenty of Europa games so no need to get rid.

I do think CB will be our aim now. Probably with a view to moving for a CDM next summer.

Be intrigued who is linked now as others have pointed out there had been the odd bit on Dom Soz but nothing concrete and yet here we are.

Yep, we have 8 midfielders now, well 7 according to me but that is a different story :sunglasses:.

If we see someone come in it will be a CB.

1 Like

One of the usual twits tweeted yesterday we are looking for a defender better than MVDV.:grin:

Szoboszlai counts as one of our non-homegrown options. If he was just a couple months younger he’d be classed as an U21 for this season.

Means we’ve one non-homegrown slot left available. There are a few options in midfield and defence that we’re linked with that would still be classed as U21s (Thuram, Inacio, MvdV, Lavia) so it’s entirely possible we could add two more.

I just don’t see room for another midfielder without someone leaving and realistically I think the only likely candidates would be Thiago to Saudi Arabia or the US or Bajcetic on loan possibly.

1 Like

Yes, Col will

Let’s sign a CB next week, and we are all set for next season. :partying_face:

Some noise on twitter that Southampton’s Athletic journo has said he expects Lavia to join Liverpool.

Would definitely mean someone leaving if that’s the case, probably Bajcetic on loan I’d guess. We’ll see if that goes anywhere after Szoboslai signs.

1 Like

40m? I probably would bite. I would like Thurman though too.

Maybe Thiago to Saudi? Phillips to Leeds? Errrr who else?

1 Like

Not sure we would need to loan out Bajcetic this year. If we loan him out , It has to be to a premier league side though.

The lower hanging fruit to be sold are Kelleher , Thiago (If anything to just reduce the wages) , Phillips.

Plus we’ve got a sizable amount off of our wage bill. The likes of Keita / Milner / Ox / Firmino leaving gives us 535k per week of savings. That’s a sizable chunk of money there (28M + plus whatever we get for Kelleher / Phillips.

Keep Bajcetic around and still go for Lavia. If there’s a sizable offer for Thiago coming in that we can’t refuse , then cash in on Thiago otherwise let Thiago walk away in the summer.

Without selling anyone we’d have about 10 midfielders, and Baj would never get a game.

With Thiago a near permanent fixture in the treatment room and the likes of Henderson not being able to play game in game out. He’ll see plenty of game time. Even including the fact that Lavia might be brought in.

Nah, the minutes wouldn’t be there for him. We don’t need a squad that big.

1 Like

This is a fantastic group of midfielders:

Szobo
MacAllister
Jones
Elliott
Bajcetic
Lavia
Trent* (from the inverted fullback, but mostly positioned in midfield)

What will become of the old guard?

Henderson
Fabinho
Thiago

If we had all of the top group, I do not see all three old boys staying.
If an offer came in for Thiago I would do it, without hesitation.
Fabinho might get a reprieve for a season, to help bring Lavia and Bajcetic through. But if an offer came in for him, I would do that, too.
Henderson takes up the bit part Milner role, keeping standards up throughout the club.

There’s a bias towards youth, if that’s what you don’t like, so at that point I would happily keep Henderson and Fabinho on board while the others get fully established.

Thiago is a great player. When fit. And he’s not fit very much. In addition to that, I see Trent as our playmaker now, and there’s less need to retain Thiago.

1 Like

I am not sure who’s coming in to buy Thiago with his salary demands especially when he can go for free next year.

2 Likes