Who would you buy?

One word: Camavinga.

(If we have any money)

4 Likes

Are we not talking about AOC because atm he is not injured for a change? :grimacing:

Thing is I don’t think Klopp has ever (correct me if I’m wrong) and don’t think he will ever push a ‘young’ player out because of injury records.

Even if Gini leaves Alex and Naby are in a ‚comfortable’ situation. Milner (and Hendo) are aging. Curtis still young.

Maybe signing a player of Neves’ calibre would make them start thinking but even then they would try another season.

Injuries don’t make players want to leave. Sporting perspective and money does.

He could try and win his automatic starter role again. Some player’s levels have dropped in the last year or so. Bernardo Silva’s, too.

:joy:

1 Like

For me, the centre back situation has needed attention for a couple of years.

Until VVD got injured, he had a rotating and revolving partnership with Lovren, Gomez and Matip.

One of them would come in, play alongside him for a while, get injured, then the next guy would come in, same again, then the next, and then back to the first.

Yes it’s why you have a squad, but having three injury prone centre backs didn’t hit us because of VVD’s durability and ability to partner anyone, instantaneously.

Once he went down too, and after selling Lovren, it was only a matter of time before we’d end up with no senior centre backs.

We’re still in the hunt for the CL and PL regardless, but it doesn’t change the fact that really the club should address this. It might yet cost us trophies we’d win otherwise.

For me, we should be signing a first choice (alongside VVD), reliable centre back. Gomez and Matip can then fight for game time when fit, and they can’t complain about that given the wages they received for being out half the time.

Yes Fab and even Hendo can cover. But they’re world class midfielders, and we miss them in midfield when Fab’s in defence, and Hendo’s not in his best CM position of an advanced CM alongside a DM. When in that slot, Hendo is a key part of the high press, winning a lot of balls back in the opposition half. The first goal against Barce in the 4-0 resulted from Hendo’s advanced position.

Great to have them as defensive cover, as with Milner re full back, but it doesn’t change the need to address the reliability of the CB’s other than VVD.

I understand comments that Klopp doesn’t tend to move on younger injury prone players, which means Gomez staying (as well as being English). For me, we’d sign someone, then move Matip on in due course.

There is no up and coming centre back who I can see being likely to solve the problem we have. Williams might be 4th choice behind VVD, a new first choice CB, Gomez, with Fab and Hendo as cover, but that’s it.

What needs doing in midfield and attack will depend on Gini, Milner, and whether we sell Mane or Salah. Personally I think Origi and Oxlade contribute least in terms of level, whilst Shaqiri can’t stay fit.

They’d be the three I’d move on.

9 Likes
5 Likes

Pretty pointless second guessing our transfer comings and goings,as everything is now kept under wraps for the past few years (but i am lol),although i do feel like we aren’t going to get a CB in January,from Klopps interviews after WBA/Newcastle games,previous january windows,plus previous transfer dealings when fans feel we’ve been short in certain positions,this has the same feel about it,plus if we were going to buy a CB,i’d have thought it would be done ASAP and ready to come in from the 1st of Jan (but there isn’t a sign of one).

I don’t think we can get our 1st choice CB this month,i don’t think we have the money or would be willing to pay over the odds to get our main target out of their club before the summer,i also think Klopp thrives on coaching youth or unused players to be better and fix our issues inhouse,rather than throw buckets of cash at the problem,he’s done it in the past and it won’t surprise me if he does it again this year.

Having Thiago back,Klopp will probably think our CB’s will have better protection infront of them,with a player able to dictate the game,keep hold of the ball and keep the pressure off our back 4,making life easier for Phillips or Williams and not having to go out and find a new player and spend money we don’t really have atm.

2 Likes

Not surprising that there will be a lot of crap rumours this month with our CB situation. Who knows, we might still get something, if there’s more bad luck in the meantime. But for now, I doubt it.

1 Like

With no new incomings on the horizon we’ll need this lad to sepp up.

6 Likes
8 Likes

You know things are bad when you’re relying on a Ginge.

8 Likes

We’ll end the season with Hendo and Fabinho at CB.

Gini, Thiago and whoever as 3rd in midfield or maybe Jota as part of a front 4.

Title in the bag with 80 points. :joy:

3 Likes

Lets just hope we don’t need him in April/May - he may melt in the sunlight :rofl:

4 Likes
6 Likes

We better buy him now LeBron or i shall stick you’re photo on my dartboard,don’t be playing fucking games mate.

3 Likes

can he play CB though?

2 Likes

Stick him at CF and move Firmino to false CB.

2 Likes

Not sure about Mbappe.

But LeBron is big and he can jump high.

2 Likes

So Bobby doing the Lovren role,fuck that.

1 Like

Never go full Lovren man!

2 Likes

Yes, but where is he? He got a few games once he first arrived but nothing since?