Who would you buy?

This list shows how bad football has become. Of the nearly two dozens of players hardly 4-5 have lived up to their reputations.

With all recent events, a question can be raised how early we knew certain things would happen.

Because now, you can have an argument if we could’ve gone for some higher level targets, to replace certain players.

But things change quickly, other clubs do groundwork on those players for months now (like we probably did with Mac), it’s hard to change the tide.

I’ve found myself looking at defensive midfielders on transfermarkt (knowing that quality #6’s could be also listed as central midfielders).

To remind myself what’s even out there, other than the names that were mentioned so far (and it’s not like I’m against all of them by default).

It’s a very, very important position (regardless of our playing with structures, Trent coming inside, etc.) and not a great situation on the market right now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/14zjvxq/who_should_liverpool_sign_to_complete_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

Saw this post on Reddit yesterday about potential Fabinho replacements. Some interesting (and mad towards the end) names thrown in there, Florentino Luis seems to be one that keeps showing up well on these analytics based posts despite a relative lack of experience.

Hicham Boudaoui, Thuram’s midfield partner, might be an interesting player.

1 Like

An interesting and well written post but also one based on the idea we want a Fabinho replacement, which I do not think is true. We are evolving past that.

3 Likes

I would be happy with Lavia to replace Fabinho. I think he has a big future. Covers a lot of ground, tackles, good on the ball, sees an early pass - which would get us on the front foot quickly.

If we lose all three veteran midfielders there is still some flexibility with the likes of Jones or MacAllister to help bring Lavia through. Obviously if Thiago stays he could do that role too.

If Lavia was the only other midfielder we signed, and we lost all three veterans, Tyler Morton would probably be retained as a squad man.

Szoboszlai, MacAllister, Jones, Trent*, Lavia, Bajcetic, Elliott, Morton.

Bring it on. We’d be fine with that.

Ideally I’d also like to see us sign Colwill, though that would be difficult and expensive. But if he has eyes for Liverpool, and our cash flow is improved with unexpected sales to Saudi, Colwill might be doable.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d rather a Mascherano type who can cover Trent and put out fires. We’ve got a lot of good playmakers so I don’t think our DM needs to do that role as much any more.

I’ve only seen Luis on YouTube but he looks super slow. No thanks.

1 Like

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

8m according to Transfermrkt get it done. :joy:

I think we sell on Kelleher for 20m and Nat Phillips for 10m.

Henderson we’re asking for 20m but I’d settle for 10m. Fabinho looks on the way out for 40m.

So that’s 20 + 10 + 10 + 40 = 80m back into the club coffers. Let’s spend it on a top class midfielder, right?

There’s not much chance of Tchouameni moving UNLESS Mbappe goes to Real Madrid and they need to balance their books.

1 Like

Need a DM and left sided CB and we are cooking next season.

I’m curious mate as you are clearly way more informed and knowledgeable on the subject than me, but is there anybody that particularly takes your fancy? The Weiffer fellah at Feyenoord looks like an interesting left field shout.

No, we don’t. Passing is not Szoboszlai strongest point, Mac Alister is not really play maker too, he able to create chance but he tend to play safe and recycle the ball. We need our backline all able to make transition, start attacking phase as soon as possible, not some one just win the ball and “pass it to Trent”. And Trent weakest point is control ball under pressure. Use transitional Ball winner make us more predictable and slow. Just double marking Trent and we are in trouble.

I find this one difficult to narrow down because I’ve got a different idea in my head for what our midfield will look like than I think most do. At ‘worst’ I think have a Henderson type player in the LCM position (ostensibly the defensive midfield role next to Trent) and I believe the starter there will be Mac Allister who brings a lot of technical skill but also high work rate and pressing ability. The role needs to be able to carry water and service Trent but also replace him as the starting point for attacks if he isn’t playing or is targetted by the opposition.

Most people are probably imagining a pure 6 so players like Florentino Luis are fine. I just don’t buy it - I also don’t buy that whoever we bring in will be an automatic starter so I think price point will be a sticking issue.

The more I’m thinking about as I type the less I’m convinced we will try and get a new midfielder. Fabinho leaves - Mac/Henderson/Thiago can play LCM (a fully fit Thiago would be a beast in that role).

I think we may use the money on a CB instead, in which case Arthur Theate would be a very interesting player. Who knows, the club has ideas, we are all just reading tea leaves.

2 Likes

Rob Guttman’s panic about losing Fabinho, on the latest podcast, is crazy to me. At what point next season are we going to go “damn, if only we had Fabinho today”

He was the best DM in the world 4 years ago, why aren’t you more worried? Short term memories smfh

1 Like

Bloke spends all season saying we need to sell people on and then has a wobbler when we do because we haven’t already bought a replacement for a bloke we haven’t yet sold.

Caters to the transfer hungry twitter crowd.

3 Likes

TAW is good, but can’t be a*sed to listen them regularly. Neil Atkinson is probably my favourite member, from time to time when I watch some of their stuff. I prefer when you can actually find out or learn some things, either locally from Liverpool or their away trips. Little interviews, documentaries and stuff. That’s very good. Robbo was also a good laugh when he was there. The rest are just a bit… not worth listening to.

They also led the podcast with a “can we trust the owners to replace him”. Snore.

1 Like