Who would you buy?

If you’ll believe me, it was yesterday that I found some time and interest to actually research him a bit. His situation reminds me quite a bit of Odegaard’s - if he has a breakout season, I doubt he’ll stay where he is beyond this summer.

Were interested in Donyell Malen according to reports in Germany.

I’d rate Kvara higher than either of them. @Limiescouse @Sweeting whats your opinion on this?

People who get upset at Nunez for missing chances are going to LOVE Malen

1 Like

Rumours City and Brighton are in for Valentín Barco. He broke into Boca’s first team as a left-back and I thought he might be a potential long-term replacement for Robbo, but he’s moved further and further up the pitch, and now he basically has a free role. Terrifying back lines and getting the absolute piss kicked out of him every game at just 19. Very impressive looking player.

5 Likes

I’m really envious of Man City’s deal for Alvarez but I think that it took them a few attempts to bring in young players directly from South America and turn them into top class players. It seems as though we’re almost not even attempting to do such deals, instead preferring to get them from middle men like Brighton, Porto and Benfica!

As for up-and-coming left backs, I’d keep an eye on Miloš Kerkez. Still some way off what we need but he might be a sound buy in a few years if he continues going on like this. I didn’t watch him when he played for Alkmaar but he caught my eye when he played for Hungary and seems to have found his feet rather quickly at Bournemouth.

1 Like

I think it makes sense for city’s model more than ours. Cash is less of an issue for them and they’re an international footballing organisation so players can be moved on if they dont succeed.

Their recruitment has also been built by people with close links to Spanish football.

Games Salah could miss because of the Africa Cup:

• FA Cup 3rd round (January 6th/7th)
  • League Cup semi-final 1st leg (January 9th/10th)
  • Premier League: Bournemouth (A) (January 13th)
  • FA Cup third-round replay (January 16th/17th)
  • League Cup semi-final 2nd leg (January 22nd/23rd)
  • FA Cup 4th round (January 27th)
  • Premier League: Chelsea (H) (January 31st)
  • Premier League: Arsenal (A) (February 3rd)
  • Premier League: Burnley (H) (February 10th)

With Mo potentially leaving in the summer and depending on a few other things (Doak will get some chances to prove himself in EL and League Cup until December, injuries to other attackers until the end of the year, being in a potential title fight) I think the club might secretly be working on bringing in someone in early January.

At the moment I’m thinking we won’t risk missing out on our season targets by relying on a very young player and Jota who is very unnatural in that position.

Premier League schedules a 2 week winter break from the 14-30th of Jan yet players still have potentially 3 games to play on their break :joy: :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I honestly do feel like Salah might be the kind of player to rather want an extension and then just retire with us.

5 Likes

That kind of ‘loyalty’ is incredibly rare these days.

If we can get £100m + in the summer for a 32 year old with a year left on his contract and he can pick up a huge end of career pay packet, then that might be best for everyone all round.

I suppose it might be as much about who is available who we might want ti replace him.

Doak is a great prospect, but unlikely he’d be a first team regular level next season.

1 Like

Not sure about loyalty but I think Mo is the kind of player who would look at what more kind of records he could break with another year of CL football with us.

Anyway, if we don’t bring in replacement in January I guess we might see Dom take the Salah position because we have options in midfield.

2 Likes

Doubt he’ll care as much, considering how much he’s already getting paid. I think I’ve read elsewhere that much of his actual income comes from endorsement deals, which won’t be as lucrative if he’s playing for some shit team in some shithole that doesn’t have as big a global profile.

Furthermore, he’s finally getting that leadership role and senior status in the team he’s been craving for a long time, I doubt he’s giving that up until it’s quite clear that his legs are going.

2 Likes

Salah is going to have to make some decision next summer, whether that is to extend his contract, move elsewhere or run down his contract. It wouldn’t surprise me if he extends.

Aside from that, we need cover as well as a long term replacement. We could well see a January signing regardless of what he has planned. The cup games would be a good opportunity for some first team experience.

1 Like

Luxury!

Back in my day, we played six games on break and paid gaffer three ha’pennies for the privilege!

Extending him at 32 is going to be difficult and risky… no matter how fit he stays at 33, 34, 35 his legs will go and a smart contract can’t handcuff the team for a number of years with an aging player no longer contributing. But at the same time, would have to pay him near his current value which is ridiculously high.

1 Like

Would you sell (if he wants to move) or run down his contract? Financial considerations apart, would you see him worth keeping until 33 or 34? I get the impression that he is happy here and his family are settled. I just wonder whether that would be the case if he is not a nailed on starter?

Edit: sorry - a bit off topic. I was just considering when we time a replacement.

I would only sell if he says he wants to go next year, otherwise I’d let him see out this contract. I wouldn’t be offering an extension personally.

1 Like

I say this cautiously, but he seems to be on the same trajectory as the late Real Madrid version of Ronaldo. He is impacting games in less obvious ways and not passing the eye test the way he used to, yet still walking away with hugely valuable productivity stats - on pace for another 30 goal season.

At Real there was a point where the value add of those goal stopped being enough to justify how little else he did, but it took 3 maybe 4 years of him being a notably different player before that threshold hit. I entered this season very much on board with the idea that he plays out one more year then, assuming he wanted to, was allowed to leave for the right deal. The way he’s playing this year, even if seemingly a bit more frustrating, I wouldn’t countenance selling him even if Saudis came back with a bigger offer.

6 Likes

Best thing is if he signs a two year extension with a release clause if the gulf clubs come calling again.

2 Likes