Who would you buy?

More what Mo went on to produce consistently at Liverpool from this main goalscorer from a wide forward area. His Italy stuff is not so hard to find, but what he did so far with us is pretty amazing, especially in terms of numbers.

But we’ll see if we even eye a Mo type of player to replace him (whenever that is).

That might depend if we 100% trust that Nunez is the guy to build our new attack around. Which I’m not sure is the case at this point.

Ideally, you’d like a more clearer and higher numbers situation from our two other positions in attack to be more calm about going into post-Mo era. Right now, his position of power in negotiations is pretty strong.

Also, on the young kids…

Some of them are doing well, but let’s not rush with conclusions after a few games. They might save us some money, but surely we will see some reinforcements.

1 Like

May be we have. Even some of our recent recruitments suggest that the scouting and negotiation is done in an almost secretive manner. Klopp and FSG are forward looking. It’s not inconceivable that they are planning the replacement of one the key piece well ahead of any expiry date.

2 Likes

This is probably akin to Warren Buffett looking for a successor - has one lined up but sticks around long enough to have to find another one. It’s very unlikely the club haven’t had plans in place, particularly when there was a high risk of him not signing that new deal and even last summer when there was a lot of speculation about clubs coming in for him with silly money bids.

1 Like

Maybe , but the transfer fees now are much higher even for those transfers than what we paid for Mo.

And now, we need a new manager too!

1 Like

Share Message - Jurgen Klopp to step down as Liverpool manager at end of season

At least Klopp rebuilt the squad before he left. Not like Ferguson leaving Jonny Evans and Phil Jones as the starting CBs.

1 Like

We need a crying emoji

Cry Cry Cry GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like

Life Is Good Snow GIF by Harley's Dream

1 Like

Ai saying who we should buy if we are going for a Salah replacement and a defensive midfielder……

https://x.com/xvalue_aida/status/1747192901782700087?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

Szoboszlai’s playmaking and MacAllister’s energy… interesting separation.

I’d rather say it’s the opposite. :joy:

3 Likes

If we need a Salah replacement, I think we’ll go for Olise. There is already some noise about this one, and he falls into the category of excellent young player, who looks like he might be about to go up a level - a bit Roma Salah.

2 Likes

Possible, but in that case, he would be a different type of player to Salah. Less direct, less in behind, possibly less numbers. More of a creator, his left foot is one of the best in the league.

We’ll see whenever Mo goes, but yeah Olise could be one of the targets if he still hasn’t made the big move somewhere.

Could be some more creative options, although with our sporting structure lacking a few pieces, who knows.

In some ways we are waiting to see what happens with manager and DOF.

I would like us to sign Olise, and Klopp has been watching him for a long time. But now something else is going to emerge in the manager hot seat, so what will the new man want?

If Mo decides to stay, I can’t imagine any manager being unhappy with that. Great player, reliable source of goals, one less thing to worry about, even if it’s only for a season while Mo sees out his current deal.

But let’s imagine Xabi Alonso comes in. And let’s imagine Mo decides to go to Saudi Arabia for a fortune. (We can’t assume these things, but let’s try it on).

At that point, maybe Xabi might be all in on Wirtz? Young, talented, very high ceiling, knows what he wants and can come into our attacking group and help kick start Xabi’s reign?

Depends what structure he would use, because Wirtz (I do like him a lot) doesn’t play Salah’s position and we do have a few of these offensive midfielders, who could play between the lines around a main striker, if that’s the way we’d go about things.

Not only that, but we’d have to think if we have enough direction, verticality and goals to replace Salah with another creator. That’s where Nunez comes in the topic and how much belief we’d have in him to become our new main forward guy.

Wirtz basically plays where Szoboszlai plays for Hungary. Inside left #10 in a 3-4-3 (or 3-4-2-1, whatever).

1 Like

It’s going to be a really interesting summer, not just because of the manager, but because the squad is is such a place that there is really not a lot of business to be done. Anything we do is really gilding an

There are 24 players currently making up the squad (which includes the long term injuries to Bajcetic and Matip, but doesn’t include Adrian, or any of the reserve goalkeepers beyond the main two). The squad also looks really balanced, youthful and full of energy, and will go into next season with experience of a run in.

We also have some special young players emerging. Quansah and Bradley have staked a claim this year, and also Bajcetic has been injured, he did enough last season to believe he can return as a useful squad player. Next year we might be looking at players like Gordon, Doak, Beck, McConnell or Clark breaking through.

There is a big question about Matip, and whether he gets a new contract. Cynically, I might say that with Klopp’s departure, the emotional impetus to give Matip an extension also leaves as well. But if he does stay, I don’t think there is really room to do anything in the back four. If Matip does leave, then I think we’re looking at a CB or a RB. Not room for both though, and that really depends on what the next manager wants to do with Trent.

I can’t see anything happening in midfield. Even with Thiago’s exit, there are lots of bodies. Potentially eight or nine, depending whether you include Trent and Clark.

Up front with have five for six positions, and then young lads like Clark and Doak in reserve. Again, I don’t think there is much we need to do unless Mo gets off. Or we can sell a development path to a player like Olise to become Salah’s successor (which I’m not sure we can).

So there are some really interesting questions for the summer.

Is a new manager going to be happy to crack on with the squad that Klopp leaves him? A lot of the time new managers need/want to bring in a couple of lads to help embed their ideas.

What system does the new man want to play? To be honest I think our squad has potential to play almost anything, but if we do get Alonso, and he wants to bring his three at the back three formation that might require a think. And since fullback is such a strength for us, both in the first team and through the young development options, seems a bit of a shame.

1 Like

In terms of numbers, we’re more than good. Ideally, you’d even shrink that number a little bit (hopefully we’d be fit enough and smart enough in the market to do that).

The dynamic we have now is not set, another manager perhaps won’t view some young cases the same as Klopp. All that remains to be seen, who stays, who goes on loan, who gets sold.

I don’t see anything changing with Matip, fully expect him to leave, regardless who are the new men in charge.

And I don’t think Xabi is forever fixed now with a formation of 3 at the back.

It’s highly flexible there also, it often goes from 3 to 4, etc. His wing backs don’t attack/defend in the same way, his RCB and LCB players are the types who can also fill in as full backs, depending where the ball/action is.

Formation will obviously play a certain part, but principles of play and putting it into practice will be key.

I can imagine that some managers would come in and bring in a big personality. Not so much to improve the squad but more to break the current cleaks…. Other than that we are in pretty good shape as u say.

For the first time in a lot of years and perhaps even decades, a new manager will find a vastly improved infrastructure (for their work, Kirkby is even more important than an upgraded Anfield) and a relatively successful, healthy playing squad.

Not a guarantee for continued success, but I believe purely looking at the playing squad, their habits in all phases of the game from Klopp, some young emerging players and obviously the ability to dip in the market, many coaches will be glad to inherit it.

2 Likes