Who would you buy?

Ross Barkley always had quality. It just looked to me whether or not he would be able to show it consistently.

He regressed at Chelsea as a bit part player. Then it remained to be seen if he would have a chance to show what he could again.

He is doing well at Luton but it must be remembered that Barkley is operating in the nether region of the Prem. While I don’t mind giving the former toffee a bit of toffee, it’s going too far, for me, to suggest we should sign him.

2 Likes

Jonathan David will have one year left this summer and Lille will definitely look to cash in, provided of course that the player himself makes it clear he is not extending his stay. Always look like a player who can make that step up to a bigger stage, and with our front players morphing into a different dynamic compared to the Mane, Salah and Firmino trio, a player like Jonathan who is comfortable coming from the flanks or through the middle can be a possible replacement for Salah if he leaves

I think he’s very much a central type of player. I had him in mind as one of the possible options to replace Bobby at the time. Seemed interesting as he could both score goals and also combine. Don’t think he’s what we need right now. Nunez is still trying to get where we all want him to be and there are still question marks over Gakpo also. Obviously we’ll see what the new manager has in mind, but a central type of forward is not something I’m thinking of right now. Could possibly change in a few months. But we’ll probably have other needs.

I thought so too but the more I watch his style, I feel that like what Klopp is doing with Nunez and Jota and Gakpo, that they are flexible enough to be rotated either through central or on either side. Another thing is that I think he is pretty comfortable shooting with both feet, meaning we could field him on the right of the centre like how Salah is now.

1 Like

Let’s see first what happens with Salah. Then, how our attacks look like when Salah leaves. Then, we’ll have a clearer picture what type of player we’ll need to replace him.

2 Likes

Not a fan of forward planning?

1 Like

more woke lefty shite…why cant you just leave it alone?

Waiting for Salah to leave, playing without him, and then making a decision? That is reactive rather than proactive. Bad way to do business, IMO.

Salah is leaving. That is a fact. It may not be this summer, but it will be in the near future. A good organization would already be planning for things to come, and I have no doubt that LFC scouting department has an extensive list of forwards that they could have interest in, and would bring in if they feel that the price and timing are right.

Even if Mo doesn’t leave this summer, bringing in a player that can play that wide right forward position would make sense. It would give the player time to bed into the team and/or league, and learn, until that time Mo moves on.

1 Like

I feel that Salah, if he has not thought of leaving, would now that Klopp made his announcement. It’s almost like an era is going to pass and who else is more iconic of Klopp’s era than Salah. I feel he might think it’s time to retreat together with the guy who played a big part of his success and let the club now make it’s new future so I think this summer we will need a new forward. But of course, the new manager will have a huge say before anything.

Yeah let’s bin off Mo as quick as possible. I thought we’d sell him last summer to fund our mf rebuild and the summer before that (to buy Jude and/or Kylian). At this point I’ve moved on so many times that he’s like a new signing each summer. Think I thought we should keep him the summer after we won the title and we know how that went… :joy:

Another one is Virg. Big lad is aging every fucking day and we need to get rid before he gets any more grey hairs. Definitely no risk of repeating the Beardsley, Staunton era…

1 Like

Prepared to hold fire on Allison for another summer

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

I want to keep Mo as long as possible, but surely looking at replacements would be prudent. Doak not ready yet.

Nobody says we cannot look at players, make shortlists, even have certain talks if we know already inside that it’ll happen this summer (which I’m not sure we do, wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t). On the outside, we don’t have a clue whether Salah leaves this summer or whenever.

We don’t even know who will be our new head coach and we don’t have a sporting director either.

We have attacking players, some of which are still not the type of success we were hoping they would be. New head coach will have his view on that. All that will also determine the type of player who replaces Salah, whenever that is.

A Salah replacement right now is not something we’re actively working on I don’t think. Especially not a player who doesn’t share his position.

All the rest I’ve mentioned above should be just every day business at Liverpool (I hope it is, considering the amount of people we lost and losing). For more than that, seeing with Salah what we’re doing together, then opting for a new player if he’s leaving now, we’ll have to wait a bit more.

For all the hype last year about Mitoma, what are people’s thoughts about the lad who plays on the other side for Brighton, Simon Adingra? Too young and undeveloped to be thought of as a direct replacement for Mo, but lets be honest, we’re not going to get someone who can come in and directly replace what he does. He looks to have the raw talent and work ethic that could develop into something pretty good though.

2 Likes

Early days, and he seems pretty raw, but I’d say that his ceiling is higher than Mitoma’s. Mitoma is an outstanding dribbler capable of offering insane moments of inspiration but I got the impression that Adingra will be a more consistent creator and goalscorer in the future. Besides, the lad has already scored against us, looks like a cross between Mane and Saka and plays in a position we’ll need to strengthen relatively soon. What’s not to like?!

2 Likes

He was a livewire against Nigeria last night. He played on the left side though.

Yeah, his long term future might be more off the left. Interesting player, someone who is 5-6 years younger than the likes of Jota and Diaz (but more Diaz, is his ceiling doesn’t prove to be as high as we hoped), naturally might be under consideration at some point if he keeps doing well.

Would not mind Conor Gallagher at a good price.

Chelsea best player with Cole Palmer

Entering the final year of his deal, but we’re well covered in his position.

1 Like

Only problem is…we have a ‘no dickweed’ policy…better known as a Tom Daley…