Who would you buy?

I think Konate is a really good player, but the legitimate question mark over him is in how many games he misses, as 30 game seasons seems to be the normal range.

We do need another central defender, someone to replace Matip but be a bit higher up the pecking order, with a view to hopefully being a fixture in the side in a post-Virg world.

2 Likes

Another CD is a must, but I like the idea of having utility players that can cover multiple positions, pretty much what Gomez is doing for us across the back 4, or that Milner did for us all over the place.

Am I delusional for thinking that Van Den Berg could be a good option for the fourth centre back next season? I know, he never gave club the guarantees he would stay, quite the opposite (and maybe the club didn’t give him any guarantees, too) but…

His loan moves have been relatively successful (I say “relatively” because of his injury last season, otherwise he seems to have been doing very well), he still has two years left on his contract and there’s a new manager coming in this summer, so he might want Van Den Berg to stick around, rather than splash the cash immediately.

I know this places an awful lot of faith in Van Dijk and Konate, our only senior CBs for the next season, not missing many games but I hope that the new guy will make the most out of our youth players.

1 Like

This place puts no faith in Konate. He gets slagged all over the place despite putting in very good performances.

6 Likes

If Sepp were not our player on loan, I believe we’d all be talking about him as a young CB that needs a looking at. Pretty much the best player on a crap team in one of the top 5 leagues. If Xabi comes in, he will have knowledge of him, seen him play, so would have a good idea of his worth I’d imagine.

2 Likes

It’s not delusional. Like I said in my post, I think VDB will be looked at, as he can play CB and RB.

If the new manager and others at the club believe Quansah is capable of being 3rd choice consistently, then it’s definitely a possibility.

However, I think it’s more likely we’ll sign a competent centre-back (23-26 years old maybe), who is showing signs in the data of being on the brink of exploding into a top defender.

VDB could then act as cover at RB for Bradley (I’d expect the new manager to move Trent into midfield. That would leave us very overcrowded there, so that’d be another situation to resolve).

Gomez can cover for Robertson, but it could leave Tsimikas available to leave.

Believe Mainz have a buy option on Van den Bergs deal, which probably says a lot about what we think of him.

Not that Van Den Berg doesn’t have a chance of a future in Liverpool , but there’s a discussion to be had if Mainz do end up with the cash.

There is some utter nonsense here! Konate is immense. VVD is a one off.

Does anyone think De Ligt could be a possibility? He doesn’t seem to be having the best of times at Bayern right now. He’s 24 years old (25 in August), and already has experience with Ajax, Juventus, and Bayern, and of course, knows VVD very well with the National Team.

Injury prone and shit.

2 Likes

Haha, I’ve seen him linked with moves away, and fallen off a fair bit. Just wondered if he’s still at that point in his career if it’s worth a punt or not.

I always thought he was a bit slow and turned like a small oil tanker.

But I have not seen a lot of him recently.

Actually his athleticism is one of his strengths. He has all the measurables, but has been crap at reading play, and being over aggressive. Physically there’s a really good defender in there. Question is if he’s too block headed to better understand and read the game. Maybe a couple years being mentored by Virg? Maybe never? Who knows?

He’s shit.

In depth analysis. What we come here for!

I think there is something to be said in thinking of players whose star burned brightly, but then they faded, especially if they are still of a good age. Is there value there? Could they make the move to LFC and become the player they once threatened to become?

It’s worthwhile to think of players in that category, like De Ligt.

For me, I would lean toward no thank you, as I don’t think the pace is there to be a central defender at Liverpool. If the new manager moves the defensive line deeper, then that helps a player like De Ligt, and at that point, we’d be talking about price and other attributes that might move it from a no to a maybe for me, at least.

Speaking of Dutch central defenders, I think Sepp VdB might be doing very well on loan, and he could come into the reckoning for a spot in the central defenders group at Liverpool.

Then again, if it is Alonso, and if he wants to play with a back 3 or 5, we may move for a left footed central defender like Hincapie. Also, if Alonso likes blistering pace from a wingback, like Frimpong, then perhaps Alphonso Davies might fit the bill on the left? (Sorry Robbo!)

And then Trent could be more of an all round footballer on the other side, not a speed merchant, sort of like Grimaldo plays now for Leverkusen?

Hard to say what we will do.

2 Likes

Nah, Gomez is a better CB.

1 Like

With Ligt, I’d say things certainly haven’t gone to plan in his post-Ajax time, but obviously ceiling/style/age wise, he still attracts to a certain level. There could be a point soon when he has to drop a level from those big clubs, or perhaps there’s another one willing to take him. Could still be a quality player somewhere, but for the level we operate and where we want to remain, I wouldn’t want us to bother with it. Rather take a player on a more upwards trajectory.

2 Likes