Who would you buy?

If I’m not mistaken, his contract expires in the summer next year… Alongside Trent’s and Van Dijk’s.

3 Likes

Aussie Maths…

Math What GIF by Riki Barker

It’s less a case of worry about his contract situation and more an acknowledgement that his performances wont last for ever, and every year that passes we get closer to the point where that drop off is certain. So the cold, calculating move is to get a big fee for him before his performances drop to a point that his value falls. The contract extension is at least in part a mechanism that maintains his transfer value for us and allows us the option of trying to time his exit to maximize revenue vs productivity left in the tank rather than being forced to move based on a contract situation that reduces our power.

Mo’s numbers are obviously still great, but behind that is a seeming change in his physical capabilities. Could he still score that famous breakaway goal he got against Utd in 2020 where he held off the famously quick Dan James? The fact that Edwards is now back and has been reported as being more ruthless in his perspective in these matters is how this seems to have increased saliency.

3 Likes

I do wonder what the club will do if the Saudis come in with an offer that’s well over £100million.

I mean, he’ll be 32 in June, but his physical condition is still at beast level. I reckon we’ll try to add an extra year onto his contract, keep him around for the new manager, but allow him to leave to the Saudi league in the summer of 2025.

Any new manager coming in will have a window of opportunity, albeit a short one, to talk to players and coaches and decide what to do with a few key positions: Where will TAA play which might ultimately determine what happens with Bradley too? Is there a need to replace Matip externally, if his contract was not renewed (which looks most likely)? Do we buy a replacement for Salah now or use the season to groom players like Doak and Gordon? Amongst many other questions, these are some of the key ones he has to address and decide only when he comes in.

So Klopp already knew he would step down at the end of the season when he said this.

Don’t even need a new CB if we keep SvdB and grant Klopp one of his last wishes to extend Matips contract. Would even cover us for three at the back if the new manager prefers it (I’ve never been a fan of it).

I would not be against keeping Matip on a one year contract just to keep some stability if that’s what the new manager needs so as to have time to assess what he needs. Matip, prior to this injury, missed only 7 games in the last 2 seasons and have been fantastic whenever he played. Respect to him whether he leaves or stays.

2 Likes

For the last couple of years there has been speculation about Mo Salah…
He had dropped off in pace, but has adapted his game to counter that.
He has had a few more absences season due to injuries, but still produces the performance when fit.

I hope he stays next season, based on current performance levels.
Then we can look at next Summer. There is no one out there that can replace him, replicate his numbers, be Mo Salah.

Lets not disrespect a legend with thoughts of Saudi football and unrealistic crass fees.

1 Like

Yeah, for all his injury prone nature, he’s been fit largely for the last two seasons.

Also the thing with Matip is that he gets back to peak performance very quickly. Even this season, he was the best defender for Liverpool till his injury.

For whatever pace or rather acceleration that Salah might have lost , he’s improved immensely in the other areas of the game. He’s contributing much more across the pitch , starting the attacking moves and he always will keep two opponent players marking him. That gives the likes of Jota/Nunez more freedom

There does seem to be a bit of lazy thinking with Salah that, because he is Muslim, he must be itching to live in Saudi. I know Muslims that have been there for Haaj, and whilst they found the pilgrimage fulfilling, they weren’t that fussed on the country.

It’s possible that he will play in an elephant’s graveyard league at the end of his career but there is no certainty and he could quite possibly see MLS as a preferable option for his family’s sake.

1 Like

If Trump gets in again?

I doubt it.

1 Like

Maybe Mo can be the Dennis Rodman to Americas Kim :grin:

Matip is averaging 20.6 games per season in all competitions in the last 5 years.

Makes no sense giving him a new contract and I don’t expect it either. He’ll be 33 this summer.

His peak was the second part of the 18/19 season and since then, he had the largely quality 21/22 season as well. But the rest around it, not enough.

When even a physical beast in top age like Konate struggles to be more available than he is, it makes even less sense. Since Paris, we can say Konate has become our second CB.

When we get a nice little surprise addition in Quansah, who’s good on the ball (although we’ll see if he’s in the new manager’s plans), it makes even less sense.

We’re not the Red Cross. Give him support as we are doing with his injury and stuff if he needs it and it’s time to go separate ways, time to add new quality.

5 Likes

Yeah Klopp is too full of ruth

No point giving Matip a new deal at this point. Great servant but we’ve got to be looking for that long term partner for Konate, not re-signing someone who just kicks the can a year down the road. If Amorin comes in I could see him trying to bring either Inacio or Diomande with him.

With Mo I think we do everything to keep him until we’ve a succession plan in place. Even if that means resisting a silly offer this summer or trying to add another year to his contract. We simply can’t let him go until we’ve got a replacement either in place or lined up. Unfortunately, left footed wingers are a bit of a rare breed.

Maybe a new manager brings a new system and we don’t need a like for like replacement in terms of position but I get the feeling our summer transfer planning isn’t going to wait until that appointment is made.

Not loads to do this summer. A centre back and a right winger would be my priority. If we get any interest in Kostas then take decent money for him and look for a successor for Robertson. Let Thiago and Matip go and take what we can get for the likes of Williams, Van den Berg, Ramsey and Carvalho.

1 Like

Why don’t you think VdB or Ramsay can make it at LFC?

1 Like

Or Carvalho.

Why does a winger on the right side have to be left footed - Why can’t he be right footed and actually stay wide like a winger used to do?

2 Likes

It’s always a case to play to the strengths of the player. There’s nothing wrong in not having inverted wingbacks. The end result is goals and wins.