Who would you buy?

No, he’s in Turkey

Unless you are looking for a short-term option for this winter, just avoid over-30 players.

Saw Neven Subotic cancelling his contract with Turkish club. Not sure whether he as a club lined up that is why he cancelled the contract, but he is not that old and Klopp knows him, good as a short term solution?

Personally I can understand why the club is not buying a CB in Jan but if they want to just get bodies in for short term, Subotic could be a good option.

There is also the ex Celtic defender Jozo Simunovic who was released on a free after a stint filled with injuries but at 26, could be given a 6 month contract to prove his fitness for other clubs to come in for him, even if he is not great enough for us?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Unlike Pearce IMO. He usually toes the company line, so to speak. This will only serve to rile up the masses.

2 Likes

Yes, very unlike him. He’s normally writing stuff explaining why there’s no need to sign anyone and why Liverpool can’t spend like other clubs, and how it’s better to wait for the right player than get the wrong player sooner etc.

It seems like he’s shat the bed.

4 Likes

It seems this has been leaked by someone who wants to add some public pressure (FSG have backed down when the public outcry was big enough on occasion).

I’ve always though Edwards had a hotline to Pearce, he’d feed him information to get it out there to gage fan opinion.

A small piece of me thinks this is Edwards putting pressure on FSG, not Klopp, but Edwards has had a no from above and he disagrees.

4 Likes

If Staff are briefing journalists against FSG, that’s a bigger worry than not having a centre back.

More likely it’s Pearce expressing a private opinion, which he does more of with the Athletic. He isn’t a club stooge these days, like he was on the echo.

4 Likes

It’s just I’ve seen several of pretty much identical stories from Maddocks, Pearce, Jones etc. They are all so similar it looks like a brief off the record.

Joyce hasn’t said anything yet, so I’m guessing he’ll be breaking the signature of Konate soon.

2 Likes

To be fair to Pearce, he’s been saying that the club needs a CB for a while now. I know where you’re coming from, it’s like they tend to keep a more positive view on it (also because fans can get too radical too quickly) maybe to keep their contacts. But he can also voice his opinion. We all know the reasons at the moment. Klopp spoke about it, we don’t need journalists. It’s just that us fans generally think that 50 CB’s could do the job. Even a Klavan is not as easy to find. Who wants to lose a CB in January who’s got a bit of quality. In my books, it’s positive and a compliment for the club that we know so little. It’s better this way.

5 Likes

If Mainz can be persuaded to let their starting striker with 10 goals in 17 games go to Palace on loan to buy someone out there is desperate enough to do the same over a CB.

2 Likes

Subotic is like Matip, talented and brittle. There’s a reason why someone plays (until recently, that is) in Turkish League at just 32.

Agree with @Mascot people like Edwards wouldn’t backstab (in a way of saying) the owners, specially when the long term plan of the club is laid by him (at least partly).

Subotic changed about half a dozen clubs since he was good at Dortmund. The press were always quick to link ex-Klopp players, mostly from Dortmund of course, with Liverpool. It rarely happened, apart from the odd interest.

2 Likes

What will be will be, but we need a center back! If not a long term deal, someone to come in, competent, solid, to then get a midfielder in midfield, and gee the whole thing up.

I can’t have a go at the club as we have been so good for so long, on and off the pitch, but this seems pretty glaring. With everything bunched up the way it is, it could be the difference between a title challenge be and an almighty fight to finish top four.

2 Likes

Agreed. And The Boss made a comment one time about not working with past players, or looking for new challenges by working with new players. Specifically, it was when Auba was trying to get a move out of Dortmund and journos were trying to link him to LFC.

I am a “yes” to Subotic and a “no fucking way” to Sokratis.

2 Likes

Former Bundesliga Stars? Should have asked David Abraham but he is back in Argentina now.

Holger Badstuber is out of favor in Stuttgart.

:see_no_evil:

1 Like

Fucks sake, this is ridiculous. Let it go.

1 Like

Barcelona still owe us 30 million. Take the cunts to court or something then use that 30 million on a transfer

1 Like

Clubs owe each other all the time, it’s part of the agreement to pay by instalments or where some of the monies payable are contingencies.

I haven’t seen it suggested that the monies owed by Barcelona are overdue, are they? That would be an FFP breach.

4 Likes

Not too sure to be honest. It’s from the Coutinho deal I’ve heard. Nearly 2 billion in debt according to twitter so I’d say they can’t afford to give it to us