Who would you buy?

Counted them like this. Realistically, all players (some are past 21 years of age, so not young players anymore, though some are younger than 21 but they’re already more like first teamers) who will either stay with the first team, get sold, go out on loan, but won’t be going back to U23 football (at least regularly). Of course, could’ve added Arroyo if I added Awoniyi, but I’m not sure Arroyo even trained with us, Awoniyi did and might generate a decent fee this summer. Not counting Kabak for next season yet before we buy him, for now I’m looking at it as just a loan.

GK: Alisson, Kelleher, Grabara, Karius
DF: vDijk, Matip, Gomez, Davies, Trent, Robertson, N. Williams, Tsimikas, R. Williams, vdBerg
MF: Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, Milner, Chamberlain, Jones, Grujic, Woodburn
FW: Firmino, Salah, Mane, Jota, Shaqiri, Origi, Minamino, Elliott, Wilson, Ojo, Awoniyi

Some have a year left and this will be the summer when they’ll finally leave, some have more, some will head out on loan, some might still not generate the type of money we want, so might be delayed for another year. Very rarely or it almost never happens that we sell absolutely everyone we want and on terms we want. Especially in a year like this. Things will hopefully go back to normal until next summer, but the consequences will surely take a little longer in the market.

Gini leaves.

Sell
Adrian
Karius
Grujic
one of Shaqiri/Ox
Minamino
Origi
Wilson
Ojo

Loan
Rhys, Sepp

Small question mark behind Milner but I think he’ll stay.

Would think about keeping Awoniyi.

Adrian’s contract is out, he will leave on a free. Karius will have another year left (who bloody gave him a 6 year deal when we bought him!), hopefully we can get a fee for him. Not sure as he’s yet to play a single minute for Union, right?

2 Likes

He has played minutes but I don’t think many.

I imagine that Alisson, Van Dijk and Fabinho are the next in line for new contracts but also Kelleher (it would be nice to have another academy success story even if he’ll have to be a bit more patient). I also think that Elliott will get a new contract as a reward for his progress, similar to Jones last season. Keita/AOC situation might be the most interesting decision Klopp has to make this summer, though. He’s fiercely loyal to his players but an emotionless, ruthless decision on (one of) these two might be what’s needed to pull this team forward as it will inevitably lead to arrival of a new midfielder who might complete the tactical change that I think Klopp wanted to make last summer.

It’s likely that both Rhys and Van den Berg will spend the next season out on loan and I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Minamino headed down that road as well, maybe an extension to his Southampton loan if this one goes well and club manage to replace Origi with a player who will actually make a proper contribution from the bench? Club seem to have a good working relationship with Southampton these days and I hope Hasenhüttl will get the best out of Minamino in their current setup. I honestly don’t expect Minamino to make it at Liverpool anymore but Ings tripled the fee Liverpool spent on him after a really good loan spell there, that’s what I hope for here.

Ojo and Awoniyi… Transfermarkt have their contracts expiring in 2023 and have them at almost 150 senior appearances each. Last summer, club could afford them to stay another season out on loan regardless of crisis but I guess that the next summer should be the one where their respective values are at their maximum so far. If Awoniyi gets a work permit (which I don’t really expect), he might get a chance in the next pre-season. That said, I think both will be sold for something less than what club value them but with some clauses included that will reflect their future development.

Woodburn probably wouldn’t sign a new contract even if he was offered one. Really unlucky with all the injuries and their timing… I hope he can rebuild his career but I think he’ll have to drop down to, say, League One and take it from there. I wouldn’t be surprised if club gave him a free transfer this summer or surely the next. Same goes for Karius, I doubt Liverpool will get a penny for him, he’s finished at the top level, as brutal as that sounds.

As for Origi, Shaqiri, Grujić and Wilson, like Zoran said, it’s unrealistic to expect that the club will get what they want for them, when they want it, but these four are the most “marketable” unwanted assets club currently have, I will obviously be hung up on club selling them, hopefully to finance a first team signing or two.

This team needs a bit of rejuvenation, I think that some of the most respected football portals wrote that Liverpool’s starting XI against Tottenham was 29. Not something to panic about, obviously, especially as Milner and Henderson were in it, but time moves on quickly and the burden of frequent games + coronavirus chaos seem to have taken their toll on current starters. Fresh blood should bring some fresh ideas to the table and additional motivation to current players, at least I hope so.

4 Likes

When you put them all on paper, you realize that we still have a few who are not kids anymore, someone with still a year or two more years left on their deals than you thought, etc. It’s not a great year for selling, hopefully the 2022 year is back to normal. But hopefully we can also do some good outgoing business this summer to help us funding the 2-3 signings we need (one for sure, two probably, three ideally).

1 Like

What kind of players are you thinking of when you say that you’d ideally like three? A centre back, some sort of central midfielder and some sort of forward, I presume? I think a centre back will have to be an athletic type, whether it’s Kabak or someone else, we’ll see. I’m not even sure that Kabak will be able to impress the staff that quickly, it’s only four months, but I can’t remember the last time Liverpool had a player in on loan and the luxury of checking him out before signing him - Şahin perhaps?

I wonder if there are websites where I could browse the list of players by certain statistical criteria - I know that I would look for a midfielder who’s got at creating chances and who covers 12km per match, haha! I’d love if it was also left footer who’s good at set pieces, our set pieces this season are more reminiscent of Liverpool’s Charlie Adam than that of Blackpool… And, of course, a forward with pace who can hold up the ball and who doesn’t bide his time in front of goal. Easy does it sometimes, just strike the damn thing goalwards.

2 Likes

He came on in relief for about 20mns last week v Gladbach and might start tomorrow.

3 Likes

The more I think about it, I’d say CB and Forward as 1 and 1a priorities. And I’m being conservative.

We should have enough in midfield IMO.

Thinking of a right sided CB (potentially a new partner for Virgil), a physical-dynamic central midfielder who can also move the ball well without complicating much (not get into trouble and just keep it simple), and a forward (either a right sided wide forward with pace or more of a central striker).

Funny, I also thought of Sahin when Kabak came and tried to remember our Turkish players (Yesil!). I blame Rodgers for Sahin not staying here longer, he was a better player than he showed here. Played him completely out of position. Too high up the pitch, he viewed him as some sort of an Ozil type.

1 Like

Still not convinced that bringing in Thiago was the perfect idea but posters wrote it’s about evolving and taking our midfield to the next level.

So, if it’s about evolving and taking our attack to the next level we need to sign

• a midfielder with goals in him

and more importantly

• a central striker

Sign Haaland or find the next Lewandowski/Haaland.

2 Likes

On that central striker thing I want to add that our fullbacks are the best crossers in the world but their but 97% of their crosses are wasted because our attackers are not really big.

2 Likes

In terms of numbers, yes, but in terms of reliability and creativity… Milner is most likely playing his final season at Liverpool in 2021/22, Wijnaldum will soon be gone, AOC can’t get his act together, Keita is always injured. If I knew Keita would play at least forty games per season, I’d like Klopp to look for a an all-rounder but that will take a miracle…

3 Likes

On that goal scoring midfielder thing I want to add…

… our biggest rival in the league has KdB, Foden, Bernardo and Gündogan.

And what do we have?

3 Likes

They dont have the threat up front we have… Aguero aside, bar Sterling… Jesus, Mahrez etc. All hardly score, so their goals come from midfield.

3 Likes

Definitely. Very capable number 2, and I think he would be club trained?

2 Likes

It’s about always having balance and adding quality to it, yeah. Having enough of all ingredients. We shouldn’t forget our principles of course, we’re not changing the whole nature of the team.

We really needed a “Thiago” all these years, but we shouldn’t replace Gini with one more “Thiago”. You can’t have too much of the same type of player. But all of them need to provide some bottom line hard work for a Klopp team. That is clear.

I have a balance in mind like; “3 working midfielders” (Henderson, Fabinho and a new one) and “3 creative midfielders” (Thiago, Keita and Jones). Plus Millie (who is more of a working one), but he’s a versatile backup player anyway, someone who covers about 4 positions and will most probably be in his final season with us.

Hendo and especially Millie are not getting younger, while that new CB proves himself (both in terms of quality and availability), Fabinho might still be needed at CB at times.

So I’d say Klopp would probably want to replace Gini with another physical, dynamic and reliable central midfielder. Clean enough in possession to keep it ticking, doesn’t have to do wonders on the ball (if he can go box-to-box and has a good shot from outside it would be nice, but nothing too technically complex). Humble, good endurance, can stay fit, etc.

But what is interesting is the way our right sided 8 (we’ll call it RCM to simplify) a lot of the time plays differently to our left sided 8 (LCM).

It’s like we mostly gave more freedom to our RCM. Gini had the LCM spot pretty much cemented, especially in the last 3 seasons (including this one), since he went on a new level of importance as a working midfielder. At RCM, we had a bit of everything. A bit of Lallana, a bit of Ox, a bit of Hendo (who is now first choice let’s say if all were fit and we’d play a final tomorrow), a bit of the newer likes of Jones, even Keita played some games at RCM since last season. I expect Thiago to takeover that LCM role next season, but then we’ll see how that evolves. You get injuries, changes of form, we also have to rotate as that’s a demanding area of the team, etc.

I don’t think Klopp will look purely at numbers and say we need xy goals from xy position. It will be more about the skills and blend it with what we have. Then it’s up to the players and those 6-7 midfielders to fight for minutes.

Sometimes we need to add a bit of what we already have, sometimes we need to add something a bit new. Balance and inside that balance, variety. I don’t expect us to change our principal philosophy, but you only have to look at Klopp’s 5 years here and see that we gradually added some new pieces to our puzzle. Trent is not what Clyne was, Robertson is not what Moreno was, our midfield played in a different structure in Klopp’s first season, Firmino is not what Sturridge was, etc. Many examples.

4 Likes

I’m this close to overrating him and thus destroying his Liverpool prospects, so I’m not saying a thing but he seems to have football basics properly instilled. I hope he extends his stay.

Pedro “Pote” Goncalves looks like a decent player worth keeping an eye on atm,who we’ve had slight links to lately.

22 year old Portuguese Right sided Center Midfielder/Attacking Midfielder,predominantly right footed but can play and use the left aswell,good at winning the ball back and finishing,he’s top scorer in Liga Nos with 16 in 16 now i think,scored another 2 for Sporting tonight.

Worth a punt in the future if we manage to get funds and maybe make space by offloading Origi,Grujic,Wilson,Ojo,Awoniyi and Gini leaves.He also played for 2 years in Wolves U23’s and released on a free in 2019.

1 Like

GK: Don’t think we need a keeper once Adrian fucks off. Kelleher can stay as number two and give him all cups. Youth keeper can cover 3rd choice shouldn’t ever need him.

DEF: Hopefully Kabak works out and we take him. With Davies and the lads back from Injury. We can offload Matip. Keep Phillips if he wants. Loan out Rhys. Fullbacks all remain.

MID: Gini most likely gone. But I seen a video today where he said to a lad that he doesn’t want to go through his car window so maybe he’s staying I’m not sure. But if he goes we need a goalscoring midfielder. Not Curtis, a new signing.

ATT: Wouldn’t bother me to see Salah or Bobby go in all honestly BUT… BUT only for Mbappe or Haaland. No one else, if not keep Mo. Bobby I wouldn’t mind replacing full stop for someone more confident infront of goal. I wouldn’t sell but he would most likely look to leave anyways.

Ideal incomings.

Kabak.
Bissouma or someone like that.
Mbappe/Haaland , if available for a price achivable from the sales of our deadwood and either Bobby/Salah. Bring Harvey into the first team as backup.

Ideal outgoings.

Ox.
Matip.
Gini.
Taki.
Origi.
Maybe Shaq. Not too bothered though he can be decent.

1 Like