3 Likes

Mini and Maxi?

5 Likes

Or M&M for short.

(drools, Homer-style)

3 Likes

Draxler on a free anyone?

1 Like

Not sure what we’d do with him. Klopp wanted him a few years ago, but the situation on both sides changed. I think we’ll want a midfielder who shares more of the qualities Gini has. 6 CM’s; 3 more working ones, 3 more creative ones. Plus Milner, who is more of a versatile backup anyway, who will be in his final season.

1 Like

He has been a fringe player (at his prime), the Parisian Shaqiri :grimacing:

Thinking on who would I buy I’m sticking to a set up of 2 dedicated CBs with a 3rd CB/DM flexible option, the fullbacks, 2 CMs, an AM/number 10 and 2 versatile roaming forwards with a traditional number 9 option.

To switch to this I think we need a 3rd choice Keeper, a CB good enough to potentially start, a back up to Fabinho in the flexible CB/DM role, a CM, an AM and a Number 9.

Thinking of who I would target for these roles and thinking of the ways our business might be determined by reaching Europe and finances so going to choose a free signing, a Europe League signing, a realistic CL signing and a dream signing for each except 3rd choice Keeper who would be a free/cheap, home-grown option no matter what as currently Alisson and Kelleher are fine for 1st and 2nd choices.

CB;
Free signing; Saiss. EL signing; Caleta-Car. CL signing; Botman. Dream signing; Difficult because there aren’t a lot of top end CBs just a lot of ones that could become that. Probably stick to Botman.
CB/DM;
Free signing; Javi Martinez (wouldn’t happen though). EL signing; Kristoffer Ajer. CL signing/dream signing; Not actually bothered as I think Ajer could be good enough for this back up role as its a role we could get away without using and Fabinho doesn’t miss many games when we want to use it.
CM;
Free signing; Probably Lundstrum (at least he’s a scouser). EL signing; Renato Sanches. CL signing; Ryan Gravenberch. Dream signing; Camavinga.
AM;
Free signing; Calhanoglu (difficult). EL signing; Suso. CL signing; Eriksen. Dream signing; Jadon Sancho (not really his position but would be flexible play and think he could do it).
Traditional number 9;
Free signing; Aguero (not a lot of decent realistic options and not really sure he fits the description anyway but fuck it I’ve always wanted him to be here). EL signing; Odsonne Edouard. CL signing; Andre Silva. Dream signing; Erling Braut Haaland.

One last dream signing if we really are talking fantasy territory and seeing a new team the idea of losing Mane and Firmino and bringing Mbappe in to partner Salah isn’t one I’d be turning down right now.

Finding it hard (almost impossible) to imagine Klopp playing Suso as an attacking midfieder.

Six new signings!!! Too many, right!!!

I hope that John has got a very big sofa.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s who I would buy and what I would do.

1 Like

This is what I’d do.

Move on Origi, Wilson, Woodburn, a few of the other loan signings.

Buy a CB. My pick would be Caleta-Car, but maybe Kabak can come good.

That’s it. I’m not doing anything else.

“Who would you buy?”

A midfielder who can score a goal. Preferably from a free-kick too, seen TAA enough trying and missing.

Does Fernandes have a brother? :sunglasses:

1 Like

The guy who replaced him in Portugal? If looking purely at a goalscoring midfielder.

Edit: 14 goals in 18 games.

Don’t know him but according to TM, he is a right-winger.

In the same way as Coutinho is a left winger perhaps? Hardly an expert myself.

James Pearce:

“Roberto Firmino is an Anfield legend but his powers have waned. The evidence is stacking up. Whether it’s to replace the Brazilian or just to rotate him more often, Liverpool have to go and buy a new No 9 this summer.”

4 Likes

Mbappe the dream, but if not, Haaland the close second. Still may be unattainable.

Here’s the thinking. Our strikers are small, fast, busy. When they are allowed to play, most days they will kill the opposition. We saw it for three years. However, I’m not so sure they are allowed to play, fair and square, in the Prem any more. In particular I’m thinking Salah and Mane. They get grabbed, pulled, thrown down, leaned on, pushed over. I haven’t analyzed it, but my rough guess is that we only get 10-20% of decisions we otherwise might, with very harsh treatment being meted out against this duo, game in and game out. That’s what the Prem has become, for this duo.

This is exacerbated by Bobby going off the boil a bit, and probably even starting a bit of a downward trajectory in his powers (ultimately I don’t think Bobby’s ‘fall’ will be precipitous, as he has skill and vision in abundance, and his game hasn’t been about speed or muscle, so he might possibly go on for years to come at a solid level, though possibly not at Liverpool if we change it up).

Why Haaland?

Lots of obvious reasons, but to relate it to the treatment that Mane and Salah routinely suffer, I don’t see Haaland getting bullied out of it. He’s a big strong unit. Of course defenders will be all over him, but he will give as good as he gets, and as he does, we will actually have a footballing contest in the final third again, rather than the judo shit we have now.

In order to sign Haaland we will need some luck and a lot of money. Even if it meant losing Firmino and one of Mane or Mo, I would do it. (Depending on the sums involved we might come out ahead there, financially, and if so, the money can be reinvested in the team).

But a front three of Haaland, Jota and Salah/Mane would have an awful lot going for it, and would give us the impetus to go again. Haaland in the middle would also give Trent and Robbo a nice target to pick out.

If we lose Firmino, one of Mane/Salah, and Origi, and end up with the list below, I’d take it:

Haaland
Salah/Mane
Jota
Elliott
Up and coming striker/winger, fast, strong, potential

1 Like

It must also be remembered that Jurgen built a team to win CL first and adapt to demands of the Premier League second… With injuries coming thick and fast, due in part to the demands of the premiership, the carthorses that play and manage in it, the officials being too dumb, inept or corrupt to stamp out the thuggery that happens in the games early enough to offer protection… With Jurgen and the squad he has, it is akin to attempting to drive a Porsche through the stock car rally that is premier league.
If/when he decides to re-build this team, depending which holds the biggest prize money or esteem, he could well be instructed to chase CL glory from here on in every season, at the expense of ghosting the Premiership…
The players he recruits, will give some indication if this theory makes any sense me thinks.