Who would you buy?

AOC is dating Perrie from Little Mix a very sexy bunch of young ladies hence the groin injures reference.

I don`t really need excuses to “research” Little Mix videos but Every Little Helps :grinning:

Ah! I see I didn’t get the ‘reference’. Glad we got that sorted out I was starting to feel a little left out. :innocent:.

You old people dont get the Yoof of Today :rofl:

I don’t get anything about today (except LFC) above all England and English it’s nothing like when I lived there, apparently. I got Alizée over here. :wink: But I couldn’t tell you who she’s dated or dating. As for footballers girls and wifes i have a vague recollection of seeing footballers wifes or something the thing was Micheal Owens wife was in it and he was playing for LFC when it was recorded, by the time i saw it he was retired from football. :rofl: I managed 2 minutes I think.

1 Like

Spitting during a pandemic? I’d break the deal.

6 Likes

Don’t screw up, Karius. I like this club.

2 Likes

He won’t he will be on the bench.

If we were to buy a younger CB for Klopp to develop, to iron out creases, smooth over rough edges etc. who would people pick?

Im thinking guys like Tobido, Ferro, Ramagnoli, Tah, Ajer etc. guys that have natural skills or traits that might match up to what Klopp needs from a CB but not quite putting it all together so may be under the radar. Young but with experience.

I think a Klopp CB needs to be good in the air (usually means height), comfortable on the ball, quick. I think there’s a lot Klopp can teach and improve with players but there’s got to be something to work with. I’ve tried to think of some players who have potential to fit although I might be wrong with some/all of them, I’m not an expert.

What do others think? Any other suggestions for the shortlist?

I wasn’t thinking of that angle, good point.

1 Like

Well, It’s Karius… either way, he’s off our books and someone else’s responsibility the next season as he’s out of contract.

1 Like

Not sure those players are good enough, haven’t seen enough of the first two but the others? Not convinced. Definitely don’t want Tah unless he’s improved significantly since I last saw him. Looks a bit too slow and cumbersome for me.

Upamecano has a reasonable release clause coming into effect next summer IIRC. A player with very high potential. If going a bit younger, Edmond Tapsoba would be a better bet than Kabak IMO.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure we’ve extended it till 2022 before his move to Turkey to protect value.

that turkish club had an obligation to buy him. They reneged on that…so fuck that

1 Like

The point would be that they’d do their improving under Klopp. Form doesn’t matter so much for Klopp see Shaqiri, Wijnaldum, Robertson, Jota. Even VvD had had his worst half season in a Southampton shirt. What Klopp and the recruitment guys care about is the right skills and traits. And Tah, from what I’ve seen and read, is actually quick for a CB just maybe not so intelligent and agile in his movements?

It’s not about form, but ability. Tah isn’t a guaranteed starter at Leverkusen anymore and shouldn’t be on our radar, he’s too clumsy.

Upamecano is the player I think you think Tah is, he has the pace and strength but more quality. He’s far from perfect too, and is becoming overrated, but has a lot of potential.

2 Likes

Unless we are signing a CB to come in and be a defacto starter from day one (like VvD, Alisson, Salah, Mane and Keita, the only one it didn’t perfectly with) I don’t think it’ll be a rated player who is on everyone else’s radar and lips. It’ll be someone like Jota I think at this stage. Young but experienced, able to do a job as cover as is but with the right traits that mean those at the club think he can become more further down the line. That’s my idea anyway. Jota wasn’t a starting player at Wolves he was showing too much inconsistency for them to rely on him. I’m not attached to the idea of Tah I just think he’s someone who ticks most of the boxes of what Klopp needs and there’s potential there for Klopp to turn him or one of the others I listed into a monster of a CB within a year or two. That’s not to say Klopp can do that for any player and I might well have listed any of the ones I did incorrectly. There’s got to be a foundation there of appropriate skills and attributes combined with the right mentality. But I think we’ll bring a CB in this window, the winter or next summer at the latest, he won’t be an impulse buy, we’d have watched him for some time so current form won’t matter, he won’t be on the radar of the top clubs apart from us and the signing will probably be questioned in some quarters. Then within a year or two he’ll be considered world class. Only thing that might stop it is if Fabinho is doing so well there they make it a perm switch and get a CM that fits that profile instead. For now it’s a Lovren (CB)/Fabinho (CM) replacement as strictly cover, in the short term it’s a Matip (CB)/Wijnaldum (CM) heir as someone actively challenging for starts and in the long term it’s someone to take over Van Dijk or Henderson as one of the first names on the team list when available. So they have to be quite young obviously.

Franz Beckenbauer. 1970 vintage.

Take your pick

I thought Ruben Dias is not too bad honestly, but seems he is already on the way to Man City.

But if you ask me, it is not likely that we are going to be looking at spending big money at buying more “young” CB to be groomed, we have quite a number of them to groom for the next 2-4 seasons. I think when Matip eventually leaves maybe next season or two or if his injuries become long term, Klopp will trigger a sizeable investment to buy a CB who is ready to step in beside VVD immediately

Right now I classify our first team CBs this way:

VVD - Damn Fucking World Class good
Matip - Older but still very good
Gomez- Young but yet very good

Sepp/Billy etc - very young and could become very good

I think we are not going to spend say 20mil on another CB, at least not this season. We might spend the odd money here and there for youth CBs for potential but not someone like Kabak.

I think we will only spend big and when I say big in our context, its going to be probably around 30-60 depending on scouting and availability, when Matip leaves or is unavailable for long periods of time, we will be looking for someone probably the age (of course, Klopp might not look at specifics like this, just for me to quantify) between Gomez and Matip and someone who is already very good.