Who would you buy?

I know Edwards and his team are tirelessly working behind the scene, but we have to sell. Not only to generate the hard cash to replenish the squad, but also to cash in on some assets that are quickly depreciating.

Raphinha to replace Bobby. Class act!

As far as centre forwards go there’s a few names that could be interesting and realistic but not sure any would be ready to lead the line as our main guy. Someone like that would take serious money and still might not come.

Andre Silva is having a great season and could be a real player now. Had an awful time at AC Milan but really doing well now. Could be a dark horse.

Sardar Azmoun is in his 3rd season of ever improving and impressing performances at Zenit and would be in his final 12 months there. Definitely an upgrade on Origi maybe a Robertson style success story waiting to happen.

Odsonne Edouard could be the next player to come from Scotland to a club like Southampton and continuing to be as impressive you never know. 12 months left on deal could be worth trying to cut out the middle man if funds are as tight as expected.

There’s a lot of noise about Alexandr Isak who would definitely be different from anything we’ve had for a while at 6’4". Goal contribution levels aren’t as high as some of the others and may be more expensive but seems there’s something about him.

Young guy at Ajax putting up ridiculous numbers Lassina Traore (not the one I remember from years back who was like 9 foot tall). He’s about 6 foot, solidly built, 20, got 12 months left on his deal and got 7 goals and 4 assists in 11 Eredivisie appearances (only 518 minutes). Definitely more of a back up option but a project Klopp could turn into a real special player in a couple of years.

Think my choice or choices would be Silva if I had to pick someone to try out as our 1st choice CF. Isak if I REALLY wanted something completely different in the side for certain challenges. Edouard if I wanted an option in the squad who is a bit different but not necessarily a defacto starter. Azmoun if it was a guy to just be an option but not completely at odds with playing style. Traore if I want a young back up to one of the other guys.

Edit; Sorry it is 7 goals and 6 assists in 11 appearances for Lassina Traore, a goal contribution every 40 minutes!

4 Likes

Trust Sam Maguire to have already written about players I’ve started considering;

Only one he hasn’t done yet is Lassina Traore who is about as new as it gets still. But found this from Goal;

https://www.goal.com/en-gh/news/breakout-star-of-the-season-lassina-traore/13v3gg9a5gbfk11kul3qtt230n

Just for some context on Traore, 8 of his goal contributions came in one game. 5 goals and 3 assists in the 13 goal romp of VVV.
The biggest striking talent they have imo is Brian Brobbey he’s nowhere near ready yet but he’s a massive talent and out of contact in the summer and isn’t going to sign a new one apparently.

5 Likes

That’s fair enough to point out and it’s hard to know for sure when looking at small sample sizes. But even ignoring that game completely he’s still got a goal or assist every 85 minutes in the league in his other games which is still impressive for a kid getting mostly cameos off the bench.

Brian seems even less involved in their set up than Lassina so will have to take your word for it.

4 Likes

Not being cynical or anything, but I fear signing him would further incite the racist elements within British football hierarchy.

Few weeks ago I’ve read that Andre Silva might be able to leave for less than €40m and that his agency Gestitute (that’s those guys with Wolverhampton) will receive 25% of the fee.

Can’t see him leave if Frankfurt reaches the CL.

1 Like

He is doing well in the Frankfurt setup and I think he is one of those under the radar type, if he continues this form into next season, the price is gonna go up. Right now, 30mil or so might do.

2 Likes

@AnfieldRdDreamer how do you feel about Luis Muriel or Duván Zapata??? Both are pretty prolific yet versatile enough to fit into various setup/tactics.

1 Like

Was looking more at younger players as I think one of our challenges is to freshen up and bring some younger energy to the side. It’s getting a bit older as a side now.

2 Likes

But they can make instant impact. The players you have mentioned (for that matter any young players) it would be a big step-up and a big challenge give our struggles this season.

I think it’s still a big change no matter who we sign. It’s a unique environment here.

2 Likes

Luis Muriel or Duván Zapata has been competing with the best in Italy and the Europe. Surely they will have some edge over some youngsters. After all, that’s what experiences are all about, they help you adapt.

I’d buy Mbappe, Haaland, Sancho, Konaté and Koulibaly. And a world class attacking midfielder.

Then I’d buy 3 new suits and an overcoat, 4 new pair of good boots, get blind drunk, and have some steak n chips, bunch of bananas and 3 stone of monkey nuts, and still have change out of a farthing. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I’m a believer in “if you’re good enough you’re old enough” for one thing and I think no matter how experienced a player is they can have struggles and take time to settle and adapt here. But an older player is on a ticking clock with less time.

1 Like

I don’t think a lack of champions league will be really decisive with who will join. Like United this season, I think some clubs are so big and world renowned that anyone will join unless already at a big club. People know Liverpool next year will be back challenging.

1 Like

@AnfieldRdDreamer what else about these players would be suitable for us other than their records?

Genuine question. My nan could bang in goals in Holland, Germany or Scotland. Do they bring anything else to the table?

1 Like

They’re all “proper” centre forwards without being Donkeys. We aren’t talking Benteke or Carroll Mark 2 types. They have ability on the ball, whether that’s ENOUGH ability on the ball to fit in with our squad I’m nowhere near expert enough to know. My uneducated opinion is that Azmoun would be the best fit from that point of view and it seems like he’s a player identified and approached by the recruitment team before so there may be something there. But if we do change things up and go for a “proper” CF option sometimes/most of the time instead of Firmino as false 9 then that player will need to score quite regular. That would be the main responsibility so the main thing that has to be there. I was trying to think of guys way below the expected price ranges of your Haaland and Lauroto Martinez types. Just trying to think of realistic options.

1 Like

We should ask ourselves the question more often: what do they do without the ball?

I know we have to add something a bit different, that player doesn’t have to be a pressing maniac, but he (if we talk about a centre forward, because someone like Origi plays on the left more often than centrally) needs to be involved in that as long as Klopp is the manager, simple as.

I haven’t seen nowhere near enough some of those players, let alone what they do with and without possession. Apart from numbers, some facts about them and sort of an idea about their style.

1 Like