Who would you buy?

Fair enough, I’d be a little more cynical than you though. None or those names scream out Liverpool quality to me.

Take Silva for example. Playing well at Frankfurt, but then so did Haller and Jovic who were failures elsewhere after leaving. Leipzig have the best defence in Germany and even Liverpool managed to knock 2 past them.

Azmoun has only played in Russia.

Speaking of Haller, he’s banging them in for Ajax now and Traore is behind him in the pecking order, and Haller was not good enough for West Ham.

1 Like

Well I did start my initial post with;

“As far as centre forwards go there’s a few names that could be interesting and realistic but not sure any would be ready to lead the line as our main guy. Someone like that would take serious money and still might not come.”

1 Like

This! While I’m a big of fan of players who can create something out of nothing in order to break down teams that park the bus against Liverpool, I’m fonder of players who have genuinely intelligent movement (if we are talking about the attacking aspect). I had my doubts over Jota but he took two games to dispel them because of the way he anticipates both the ball and the movement of his marker.

As for pressing… Well, I love pressing but it genuinely is less useful when the opponent is sitting deep and hitting you with long balls and/or waiting for you to play a bad pass close to your goal. That’s why I’m in favour of reshaping the midfield to make it more creative and front three less reliant on Firmino’s form.

3 Likes

You’re dreaming. No bananas with Brexit, remember.

5 Likes

No, no, no!

The whole point of Brexit was so that we could have curved bananas, whereas those fiends at the EU were trying to limit the bends.

Or something.

4 Likes

Sure, we’ll have to add something and most probably something a bit different. Someone with good movement, a finisher. Maybe a striker who can come in and play part/start here and there against deeper blocks. But he’ll still have to do some basic work of the ball for our principles to remain from top to bottom on the pitch.

1 Like

He was linked to us 3 summers ago. He loves Klopp and Klopp loves him. Really impressive player IMO and diamond in the rough as the saying goes.

2 Likes

With the chance of not making CL and finances being tight that’ll be the description that we will be limited to I think. So that’s the type I was trying to think of. A summer of Robertson, Shaqiri, Wijnaldum and Matip style deals. Not necessarily bad players but doubts over them that put the other free spending teams off them and we take a chance and (hopefully) see rewards. The fact it feels like it’s time for a much needed refreshing of the squad needing energy, youth and fire putting back into it is either bad timing or a blessing in disguise. Hopefully we get a bunch of firey, passionate “train pushers” wanting to repay the faith shown in them.

3 Likes

Quick question, how did he play Robert Lewandowski??? Haven’t watched (aside CL games) much and remember nothing, so genuinely curious to know how Klopp utilized him.

He always played a 4-2-3-1

Weidenfeller
Pisczek Subotic Hummels Schmelzer
Kehl Gündogan
Kuba Götze Reus
Lewandowski

4 Likes

Yeah I know that. I mean did Lewandowski have defensive/pressing roles like our attackers?

Of course, they all had to do it. Not equally, but Kuba was a highly working player. Lewa is not a Kuyt or Bobby, but he’s an active player all the time. It was also the time when Gotze was able to do more and Reus is a responsible player as well.

2 Likes

As I said above mine is a very uneducated opinion but the forwards I listed above all seem to be ones that have had pressing and passing listed as attributes of their’s.

2 Likes

Thanks. I guess having five midfielders instead of three allowed Lewandowski to focus more on finishing. Our three attackers have to compensate for two less bodies in the midfield.

Also worth saying that Klopp didn’t have that power he has now at Liverpool (even if we do have our own limits and the way we go about things in terms of money) to “pick” more from the market players who are able to do more what he wants. Though there is always the fact that young and unknown players might be more open for new things and to raise them in a certain way.

1 Like

What’s the situation with Patson Daka?

Any rumours from Germany maybe?

He looked interesting the 2-3 times we played them last year. Very dangerous. Could he be a decent Origi replacement/upgrade (but someone who would play centrally more often than Divock?)? Would need to see more of him. Plus, he’d be another African (and probably a key player for Zambia).

André Silva with his 20th goal in 23 games this season. That’s 10 in 2021 - more than Lewandowski.

3 Likes

Name : Andre Silva… Portuguese footballer… Hmmm… That has Wolves transfer written all over it :grinning:

2 Likes

Agency: Gestifute

THAT has Wolves transfer written all over it!!!

4 Likes

The amoung of strikers they bought in recent years and actually not very successful signings at that… maybe they’d be better calming down a little bit and re-think.

:joy:

2 Likes