Who would you buy?

That list is probably too early to look at - unless the player has stated that they won’t re-sign already.

Ansu Fati, Eduardo Camavinga, Pedri, Boubacar Kamara, DanAzel Zagadou, Eddie Nketiah, Kang-in Lee, Mohamed Ihattaren, Adam Hlozek, Michael Olise, Yari Verschaeran, Youssoufa Moukoko, Josh Sargent, Samuele Ricci, Fabio Vieira, Lassina Traore… it’s a long list of U21s available in 2022 right now.

6 Likes

“This should be a reminder of what Klopp will be looking for when Liverpool enter the transfer market in the summer. It is understood he has prioritised a new forward ahead of other positions to supplement the team’s attacking options, rather than replace the existing ones.”

Further info from Simon Hughes.

Daka been mentioned a fair bit as well (not in this article mind).

Pretty sure he looked decent in a pre-season against us.

2 Likes

That seems a strange choice given the options we currently have. I would have thought midfield and defence would be of greater concern - unless this is further evidence Wijnaldum is staying?

2 Likes

A lot of talk that that’s the more likely option. Which would make sense for both parties.

I appreciate he’s had some poor games this season, but I still think that’s down to overplaying (same with Robbo).

I can see Klopp wanting to remove the players taking up space for little actual output - Shaqiri/Origi for example… Our front 3 need more breaks and could see Bobby drop deeper and us play 4231 more often as an other way to breakdown these low blocks… So we play something like;

Mane – Bobby – Jota

Salah / Daka*

*(using him as an example)

I know Sadio’s good, but playing two positions at once? :flushed:

3 Likes

Ooops :smiley: he will be bloody tired then.

2 Likes

I think CB and attack are our greatest concerns at the moment. True, Wijnaldum will be sorely missed, if he does leave, that is, but Curtis, Henderson, Milner (occasionally) can fill that void. But we have seen that our attack is somewhat predictable and seriously overworked.

1 Like

I think a large part of that is because of the loss of so many players. Matip and VVD provide our aerial threat at set pieces for example, which is how we beat a lot of teams last season.

And, we added Jota this season who when fit has been a key player.

1 Like

I think the failures of Origi, Takumi and Shaqiri to step up really hurt us. A new CF instead of those three would really help us win trophies next season.

2 Likes

You can make a case we need help all over the park!

Defence
If Kabak is staying, or an alternate is bought, we should be OK moving forward. VVD and Gomez to come back, Matip to hopefully see some action, but not reliably fit, and Nat Philipps has tasted some high level action and not let us down. We’ve also yet to see what Davies can do. From that lot we should be much better positioned next season.

Midfield
I think we need a midfielder. However, this season we have played them in defence a lot, so while it has looked short at times, I think it will be better next season. We will see more of what Thiago can do too. In the short term the Wijnaldum situation will be resolved one way or another, and in the mid term some question marks will need to be answered over the likes of Ox and Keita. Still, I wouldn’t say no to a quality addition now, but I suspect it won’t happen until some of the mid term question marks are answered.

Striker
Yes, get another striker! Goals win games, and even with a depleted defence, and the knock on effect to the midfield, during our terrible run we have rarely been battered and the defence has held up, ish. The big miss has been the strikers. I can’t have a go at them because they have been brilliant for so long, but they need a boost. Jota provides that, but I would look to add another, especially as Origi, Minamino and Shaqiri don’t add anything much.

My priorities would be:

1. Kabak or other
  2. Striker
  3. Midfielder, but I suspect this might wait while questions over Ox and Keita are resolved
3 Likes

We pretty much won the league without them and have since added Jota. I’m OK with signing another forward I am just surprised anyone would suggest it is the priority. I’m also not sure it’s fair to label lay blame on Taki who has done ok when played, and hasn’t been given a run in the team. Shaqiri too has done OK but doesn’t stay fit.

Meanwhile, our 3 first choice CBs are coming off long term injuries and provide something to our team that we clearly miss. Likewise we have lost something when Fab and Hendo haven’t been available. Milner is getting older, Gini may be leaving and we still haven’t seen whether Keita can stay free of injury long enough to make the impact we all hope for. Our failure to maintain a settled defence and midfield has been a big issue as it has wiped away the incremental improvements we have made the last 2 years

2 Likes

Really interesting podcast on the Anfield wrap with Rory Smith talking about money in football in 2021.

Suggests that we (football that is) could be in for a quiet summer. There just isn’t the liquidity to facilitate a range of moves.

Wages are a much bigger issue than fees, and there currently isn’t a market for clubs to get high earners of their books (like a China or an MLS).

Also thought that Liverpool would struggle to shift Origi, Shaqiri or Ox, mainly because there are going to be better options for clubs who do want to get in that type of player, which is what I think too.

He spoke to an agent recently who said their would be a glut of free transfers as clubs will need to remove wages more than dig in on fees.

He did think Liverpool would be in a better place than most clubs and we could do a few bits, but we’d need to clear out a lot of the loanees like Grujic, Wilson, Awoniyi etc. We don’t have the scope to drive a hard line of price and we need to just accept getting small for these lads.

3 Likes

No offense but all those posts about finances etc - as if it is Astro physics or something.

For me it’s easy.

Just like nobody was able to afford Sancho after three months without fans last summer nobody will be able to afford Haaland after 1,5 years without fans. His body language after their game today shows that he knows he will be ‘stuck’ at Dortmund for another season even if they don’t qualify for CL.

For us - we had to be very creative to get the Jota and Thiago deals done last summer and we will have to be even more creative to get the needed 2-3 transfers done this coming summer.

The Kabak deal is another creative one and I can’t see anything happen that would change our stance to buy him. He has ‘proved’ himself without having played next to one of our senior CBs.

3 Likes

No CL - no problem. A player like Jota for example would have joined us without CL I believe.

Think Klopp has so much credit at what he has achieved at this club that the owners won’t hesitate to give him the money to buy another player in quality and price similar to Diogo.

So, that player + Kabak are pretty certain.

• one senior GK as Adrian replacement - likely to be a free transfer.

After that it’s going to get complicated.

Maybe one signing can be realized with selling some of our ‘squad players’.

2 Likes

Yeah, they carried us as far as they could. This season they really needed some cover and didn’t get any. Just consider how valuable Jota proved to be. If another player stepped up, we would have been in better position.

1 Like

Outfield players:

Buy Kabak (£30m?)
Bring in Draxler on a free.
Buy Andre Silva (around £40m)

Can anyone do better without spending much more?

Keep Matip, Nat, Ox, Keita

Sell Shaq, Takumi, Grujic, Wilson and Origi

Loan Rhys and Sepp

Don’t loan Harvey

Started the season with VvD, Gomez and Matip.

Should go into next season with the three + Kabak, Nat and Davies. Take no risk.

1 Like

18m for Kabak would be a start.

4 Likes

How many players in the roster would you have? Sounds like too many. Plus, I don’t know what we would do with Draxler.

3 Likes

This also very much depends on what we qualify for (if anything) next season. I bloody hope we have EL football at least, if we can’t get CL. We need it plain and simple for many aspects. One of which is a large roster which we have now and I don’t know if we can sell everyone and on our terms in another year like this. Reputation, money, experience, habit of playing midweek-weekend, etc.

3 Likes

Gini, Shaq and Origi out from the current squad.

Draxler, Silva and Elliott in.

Would this be a problem in terms of quantity for PL/CL squad lists?

Just position wise Draxler could be another option for left wide but especially for LCM. Gini replacement with goals in him + I like that he is a tall dude.

With the Klopp factor he could reach some higher levels. Would go so far and say he is already better than some of our midfielders even if he never was a clear starter for Paris.

2 Likes