Who would you buy?

Am I being ungrateful if I say that I would like to see him in a Liverpool shirt next summer? Wijnaldum might leave, Milner isn’t getting any younger and Alaba is arguably as versatile as either of them, not to mention his other footballing qualities.

2 Likes

The reason why they could not agree a new contract yet is because he is demanding similar wages to Neuer and Lewandowski. That’s close to €20m a year.

1 Like

Given that Gini looks to be off next summer, and Milner is (slowly) aging, we’ll need to replace their energy and work rate in the middle of the park. I won’t be at all surprised to see Laimer linked in the next 4 or 5 months. For my money he was always the player at Leipzig who most looked like he’d fit in here, he’s a Klopp player through and through.

7 Likes

Think if we needed to buy a midfielder my choice would be Camavinga if at all possible.

Already seemingly level headed enough to reject Real advances to stay where he is and develop I assume? If so who better to play with and develop under than Klopp?

Edit; Watched this video and what I found most appealing was his ability to hold possession forcing the opposition to foul him to stop him combined with pressing/tackling. He seems extremely competent at robbing the ball from other players either getting the ball for himself or a quick poke of the ball straight to the feet of a teammate. It’s not just wild tackling for tackling sake it’s smart tackling at the right time and best angle to do something useful with the ball when he wins it.

4 Likes

Like what he showed in the video, looks very good already at his young age. For some reason, even though they play in different positions, he reminds me of Kanu, lanky, does not look fast at all, even at the point of being deceptively clumsy, but yet the skills with the ball at their feet mean they get away from opposing players somehow.

There are already rumours that Real was prepared to pay up to 55mil for him and honestly, if Klopp is ever willing to pay that price or even anything upwards of 40mil for a 17-18 year old, then he must be seen as ready to step into the first team squad immediately, if not a regular player.

I am sure such talents are always in our radar, but to us, its always buying the right player at the right time at the right price and doing the right thing for the club and for the player.

1 Like

For Klopp the most interesting aspect about Camavinga is he is already a true box to box player with the athletism and nous to fill that role. There’s no need to develop anything just improve and give experience. No need to go through the process of ‘changing’ his position.

Probably the most natural box to box midfielder I have ever seen.

3 Likes

Good shout, I like him a lot. He’s very quick over the first yards for a midfielder, which makes him extra effective in the transitions. Could see him thrive in the PL, especially in this Liverpool team.

Him and Upamecano are the two from Leipzig I’m hoping we’re ‘monitoring’, although in case of Upamecano it could be a timing issue. If he goes next summer, which many seem to expect, maybe there are other teams who can offer an immediate starting spot. With Laimer though, it seems like the timing should fit if he leaves within the next 12-18 months.

2 Likes

In 4 years once Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Thiago have all either moved on or become more squad options a 30 year old Fabinho as the 6, a 21 year old Camavinga as the 8 and a 23 year old Curtis Jones as the 10 sounds pretty awesome to me.

6 Likes

Yeah, I think his speed sets him apart. He’s very quick, strong and aggressive. Nothing special on the ball but good enough. Reads the game well. As a replacement for Gini, a player who can win the ball high up, cover the counter and be serviceable on the ball I don’t see many better out there.

If you are to take that Arsenal performance as the blueprint of how we want to play then a player like Laimer is ideal. The right age, good working relationship with the club. If he has another good season I’m sure we’ll be interested.

5 Likes

I’ve mentioned him before but Issa Diop potentially. I also like the Laimer shout from ILLOK as a signing for next year. If we’re waiting to next year to sign a CB then Upemecano might be of interest but for whom there will be greater competition. I don’t watch enough footie though to be able to give you more than one or two names.

2 Likes

That’s in my line of thought. :smiley:

2 Likes

Camavinga looks like he will become an exceptional player. Good shout above on how and when it could all fit as current players age.

@AnfieldRdDreamer just out of interest, why are we talking about Camavinga now?
I mean he was mentionned on here 22 days ago and nothing till now!

My vague recollection of our France based forumites is that you are working hard on behalf of the club to reel in Mbappe and Camavinga.

If you do it you will go down in folklore! Songs will be sung, and the Kop will surely have a nice tricolor in tribute.

2 Likes

If we’re relying on @Flobs to help sign Mbappe then we’ve no fucking chance.

10 Likes

@peterroberts is handleing that (Mbappe, my softening up techniques didn’t work on him :cry:). I’m responsible for softening up Camavinga. So it’s sorted! :smiley:

4 Likes

Post directly above my original one speculating on what should happen when Gini leaves next summer and possibly Milner around then too.

The way I see our CM currently, subject to change obviously;

Here for a short term (12-24 months); Wijnaldum (contract), Milner (age), Ox (injuries).

Here for medium term (2-5 years); Henderson, Thiago.

Here for longer term (4-7 years); Fabinho and Keita.

Here for longest term (6+ years); Jones.

For me as those in the short term move on it would be good to start replacing them with academy graduates or signings that would fit into that longest term bracket as they could come in as squad members initially and gravitate to players that the squad is built around as those players (Henderson and Thiago) age and move on or become squad options.

That’s how I can see us refreshing our CM as departures and aging occurs whilst maintaining top top level quality. We’ve got the stars for now as we need squad depth we can bring in or promote players who will be those squad players now but next wave of top stars.

3 Likes

We should have gone for Camavinga this summer; he would then qualify for “homegrown” status when the time comes. This betrays a total lack of foresight by the club.

FSG out!!!

5 Likes

Keita first has to deserve that (second) long term trust. A year is a lot of time in football, let alone a few years. Both him and Ox are under contract until 2023. Both are on a mission to earn something more in the next year or two at most. Because there will be a point when we’ll have to make a decision. Maybe not quite in the same boat, we might be a bit more patient/willing to keep Keita more than Ox. But we’ll see. We don’t know how they all evolve in this season, let alone more. That’s all too far at the moment and impossible to predict.

Not exactly about buying, but in the absence of a proper thread I’m posting here.

The following players are contracted till June 2023

1. Keita 25
  2. Fabinho 26
  3. AOC 27
  4. Mane 28
  5. Salah 28
  6. Firmino 29
  7. Virgil 29
  8. Henderson 30

Since we generally start an extension negotiation around two years prior to the expiry, these contracts will be up for negotiation from June 2021. Considering most of these players currently make up the core of the squad, what do we offer?

2 Likes