Who would you buy?

I just call that a scrub. :joy:

Or a selfish player. Someone like Diego Costa comes to mind. Just takes any opportunity to let one go. But when someone refers to Phil as a long shot merchant I see that as a compliment.

Yep. Turnovers are greatly increased having a pop from here there and everywhere, but that misses the true impact of the idea.

the very idea that someone is willing to take a shot from distance changes a game completely.

Knocking the ball around the box adinfinitum ( if you have sustained possession) means we find it tough to draw teams out.

Having a pop can ultimately end in a goal, but it also draws a closing player out more urgently. At the very least it cedes possession that the dyches of the world have to try and do something with…

2 Likes

It can. But against a well drilled team probably won’t unless the long range shots are troubling the keeper. In such cases the opposition can simply hoof the ball back to us - without bothering to attack.

I agree, shooting is what probably excites fans the most, it’s the most attractive action (even more than dribbling or forward passing) and what’s usually called as “best goals”, even more than collective actions.

To me, shooting can’t really be called a tactic against a low block. It’s one of the smaller solutions. It depends of the context in the moment really, if it’s a good position or not, depends also if you have good shooters as well (and of course you can improve that aspect of the game by practice, not only individual, but also by creating space). It’s as simple as that for me. It’s not as straightforward as in the sport of handball par example, where it’s a much bigger part of the game.

Coutinho was one who sometimes forced his shooting too much, when things didn’t go well. There’s the other side of the story, he went from having a very weak and inaccurate shot (perhaps not developed from his early age, being very much a futsal type of player), to being one of the best from outside the box during those few years. But it depends how much you take them as well.

I’d say mostly the better solution is to create better situations for the final action, which doesn’t have to be taking risky shots from outside the box. It’s difficult and it’s not like the opponent will rush to press a Coutinho by default and then spaces open up like domino effect. The player(s) still need to get into those spaces, passes still need to get there, players still have to finish off chances (which should be better chances, yeah). Against a normal defence, it still remains quite a task.

Then you also look at the skills of our current players and it’s not like we’re blessed with great shooters, let’s say since Coutinho. Ox showed some glimpses, Mane scored some beauties from tight angles from the left, but staying more with central midfielders when they go forward, it’s not what we’re good at.

2 Likes

This reminds me of a journalist (Sid Lowe?) some years ago comparing the goal of the season awards in England and Spain/europe. In England the contenders are often blasts 30-40 yards out. By comparison Spain/Europe the goals were usually well worked moves involving a number of players.

2 Likes

Studge beautiful curler in the dying minutes at Stamford Bridge a few seasons ago.

2 Likes

Why does it have Zombie as background music?

1 Like

:joy: I always watch these with the sound off. I’m so out of touch with what the youths put in these videos.

3 Likes

We’re sending out an SoS

1 Like

This is what I meant about the discipline and technique requirements I mentioned yesterday. Rarely shoots from distance, preferring to work the ball into the box and take up positions there, which added to the surprise of the goal being scored but has the technique to do so. Definitely not a long shot merchant - unlike someone like Andros Townsend for example.

4 Likes

Zambia has failed to qualify for next year’s African Cup of Nations. Patson Daka is now the perfect foil for Salah & Mane.

3 Likes

There is another ACON a couple of years later.

1 Like

God, life’s relentless.

3 Likes

It reverts back to the summer in 2023.

1 Like

And then back to winter from 2024? :joy:

1 Like

The timing of ACON depends entirely on the climate of the nation hosting.

3 Likes

Someone mentioned

No way that guy is only 18… Jesus he’s something else.

6 Likes

Yeah. It is unlikely to ever be exclusively a European summer or winter tournament and flipping and flopping due to the ultimately implacable nature of climate zones on the continent is going to cause more chaos. The most feasible thing to do is to host every four years instead of two years so planning the tournament based on it being in January or June is easier. Otherwise I can easily see where a tournament is hosted in June and then the next being hosted in January only 18 months after that which is quite a ridiculous thing to happen.

1 Like

Watched the first minute, it’s all about him running and getting fouled… perfect for those up the road

1 Like

He is very good but unless he only wants to come to us, we cannot outbid those ridiculous amount from the reals and psgs of the world

2 Likes