Who would you buy?

I’ve always said we’re not million miles away in what we’d do. I think the difference between us is around expectation in terms of things like fees and players willingness to move on/come in.

Another thought I had today around recruitment was Klopp’s departure. If the plan is still for him to leave at the end of the 2024 season, then recruitment is going to get a lot harder as we get to that point.

Summer 2022 and Summer 2023 might start becoming a very tricky sell if players are asking questions about the next manager. Klopp is the biggest reason why we’ve been able to draw the likes of Van Dijk and Alisson.

Personally I’d get him tied to new contract extension, with a secret agreement he can still leave in 2024 if he wants to. Just from a recruitment point of view.

3 Likes

That’s yet another reason why there could be more pressure to recruit this summer and target younger, energetic, players with passion and drive. They could come in and settle becoming the core of the side (with academy graduates like Jones, Elliott and Trent) that whoever comes in after Klopp is left with.

I like the thinking about Klopp, and how long him staying for might start to affect player recruitment. I think it’s all the more reason to go big ASAP, since we are now at the start of the remainder of his time here, and we have just received investment. So, go as big as we possibly can, whatever that means (!) in the market this summer.

The secret deal in the contract is an intriguing point, but I don’t think Klopp will go for it. He seems to put a lot of stock in the ‘my word is my bond’ sort of approach. He doesn’t break contracts.

3 Likes

I would buy 1, A nailed on starting CB to slot in alongside VVD. All the alternatives are either injury prone or not good enough. 2, A nailed on starting CM to slot in alongside Fab and Hendo. Gini is gone and we need a replacement who can actually score goals. 3, A prolific nailed on starting CF who can replace Bobby, who has lost the plot. Sorted.

4 Likes

I think Jota has got that part.

2 Likes

I love this place…

2 Likes

Luis Suarez.

Don’t care about his age. We’ve had 139 shots at anfield in 2021 and only scored 3 times. We’d have a lot more goals than that if he was here.

2 Likes

That stat looked too bad to be true, so I looked it up. According to the official website, it’s 5/151 in all competitions.

Absolutely horrific finishing; still, it’s all Nat Phillips’ fault, apparently.

7 Likes

My false stat is 0.021% of shots we score

Yours is 0.033% of shots we score.

Both embarrassing. Need a finisher in this summer. Forget the link up talk, I want a fella who scores 8 times out of 10 in the box. Suarez is the man for a season or two. Should be cheapish??

Sell
Origi 12m
Shaqiri 12m
Grujic 12m
Wilson 12m
Minamino 15m
Phillips 5m
Ojo 3m
Awoniyi 3m
= 74m

I think we could supplement our front 4 with some strong young attacking talent like Odsonne Edouard and Faivre who I think could be gems.

In:
Odsonne Edouard 20m
Romain Faivre 15m
Cheick Doucoure 7m
Kabak 18m
Botman 20m
= 80m

Not the first time I’ve heard this.

According to reports Andre Silva can leave Frankfurt for €30m.

I mean - if we’re looking for an out and out CF with 24 goals and 9 assists this season… :eyes:

2 Likes

To backup that point, not sure what his overall game is like though (pressing etc.)

2 Likes

7 of those are penalties.

1 Like

We could buy some barn doors and install them at Kirkby, get the lads shooting at them and if successful then moving on to actual goals.

6 Likes

Even ignoring them (not sure why but anyway) 17 goals and 9 assists and season isn’t over yet. If that’s the release clause he’d be worth every penny of that to be an option here.

1 Like

Because we never get any awarded to us…

5 Likes

Well… that got dark quick… accurate but bleak

3 Likes

Would he not be considered this years Timo Werner?

2 Likes

My thoughts :blush:

1 Like

He’s had a good career so far except a blip at AC Milan. Maybe more like a potential Salah who seemed a good young prospect, “failed” at his first big club, then shone again when given a proper chance elsewhere. Not saying those numbers would be transferable to here but think he’d be a good CF who Klopp could possibly improve over time.

1 Like