Who would you buy?

Would be well on board with Andre Silva. Our main creative outlets are the fullbacks and their crossing ability is second to none so I’ve always found it weird we don’t really have a forward who is anything more than average in the air. Bobby gets a few with his head but he’s not always the type to be in the box looking to get on the end of them.

That’s not to say he’s just a big target man but he’d certainly offer something different in that sense.

My only reservation is whether Frankfurt’s system helps to make their forwards look good. Haller looked great there and then was an absolute bust here. He has looked better since the move to Ajax but that’s a much weaker league. Jovic looked a beast there and then flopped at Madrid. He wouldn’t be the first to fail to deliver there but it is concerning that they aren’t able to make the step up and Silva has already failed with one big step up in his career already.

2 Likes

We need 4 top strikers

I’d like someone (no idea who) who gets in the box more and attacks the many crosses we keep putting in. They need to be quick(ish) as well as too often attacks die when Bobby gets the ball and slows the whole thing down before passing to the opposition. I still think he has a place with us but perhaps more in a 4-2-3-1 with the 1 being the new guy.

No way are we getting Haaland if he wants £30m a year, mores the pity. Not sure if PSG win the CL this year Mbappe will be more open to leaving there having helped them to win it?

The big question is: will we be part of next season’s CL? If not, we can forget about bringing in top players. If yes, then I agree, it’s a big summer ahead, and the club should go out all guns blazing.

1 Like

It’s an important factor, no matter of the recent news of new investment in the club that should enable us to continue spending what we usually were. And avoid getting hit by these two seasons of loses + a really disappointing season. Could be CL, could be EL, could be the Conference League, could be no Europe at all.

1 Like
1 Like

I want the signings to be wrapped-up within June so that Klopp has enough time to bring them up to speed.

1 Like

Exactly! We should go as big as we possibly can… meaning whatever the budget allows, and hopefully with the recent investment we can do something useful to strengthen our current position, even if we don’t qualify for CL.

Obviously CL qualification, and more money, makes it all easier…

1 Like

I don’t think money would be the issue. I think FSG will cover for any shortage due to missing out of CL. However, lack of CL football will mean we have to recalibrate our targets.

I reckon the players the club has lined up will come regardless if we make the champions league or not. If they don’t, then they can get stuffed.

2 Likes

Then someone who specializes playing in Mane’s role on the left. Harvey Barnes, perhaps? Jota should not carry both roles at the same time - he IMO should develop into a central forward given his ridiculous finishing.

CB I can see Botman

He will be a sub.

And we can afford whatever level of salary Atletico is paying him.

If there wasn’t such an air of uncertainty around the levels of our front 3 going into next season, bringing Luis back (on the reported ‘free clause’ in his contract) for a year or even two would be good business, providing unbelievable depth. I’ve mentioned before, similarly to how UTD deploy Cavani. They’re also the same age.

That said, given we have no idea what levels to expect from 2 of our front 3 going into next season, I’m not sure Luis would make sense now. And trust me, I take no pleasure in saying that. I literally want to invent reasons to bring him back.

I really do hope that you are right, but if past experience is any guide I don’t think that this will happen.

Despite the recent investment from RedBird Capital (most of which apparently went straight to FSG’s pre-existent partners), FSG still have a significant debt burden (c. $600 million to $700 million). So, apart from allowing Liverpool to run up higher debt i.e. using all of its available bank facility, there might not be much scope to fund an actual injection of cash.

2 Likes

Considering the Spurs implosion… I wonder if Son might be an option… 2 years left on his contract. I love him as a player.

3 Likes

This is just my line of thinking,

1. FSG wants us to be self sustainable
  2. But they are deeply committed to us
  3. This fund shortage is unavoidable and unforeseen
  4. A fund injection will actually make us self sustainable in the long run

The fact that FSG acts in a business like manner, makes it more likely that they will come up with some funds, because it makes business sense.

We’re already self sustainable.

But only shopping at B & Ms :wink:

1 Like

@AnfieldRdDreamer i will never like you :grimacing: but you have my respect because a few month ago you mentioned Kamada (I think this was based on stats only) and I replied that he has no end product. He clearly upped his game since.

Still not out level but could be one for Leicester or similar.

3 Likes