Who would you buy?

I’d say Kane more often than not scores important goals, but thats skewed based on what I’ve seen i.e. him v’s us. I think he is clinical yes.

It always feels we miss far too many shots, and not only that we miss easy chances - Bobby and Mane clearly, Salah does miss big chances though, he does score hard ones also.

Even at our best we missed chances, but what always happened is 1 player would always step up. If Mane was off Salah would be on fire, vice versa etc.

If we are talking Kane and Salah, I’d say we’d score more goals with those two in the team.

They both look good, and as we want good players in the team…

What’s the point of the poll?

I agree it’s incredibly unlikely we will sign Son or Kane, but Kane would be a hell of a signing for us. I would like a goal scoring center forward and he is one of those.

Just a bit of push-back against the narrative that has been swirling around re: Salah’s scoring. Nothing wrong with wanting more good players, of course, and I think @Draexnael did the issue justice by discussing what we could expect from Mané in the future.

(If people don’t like my slightly provocative question, a good response in this instance would be to provoke me right back to share Jota’s numbers btw. :wink:)

The general mood lately seems to have been “we need someone like Kane because we don’t have someone dependable like Kane”; these were just the posts I saw most recently that made comment along those lines.

3 Likes

I always got the impression that Kane does too. But like Salah because he takes a lot of shots and so he makes up for it by getting at least one of them in. His advantage is that he has multiple strengths (good in the air?, shooting from distance and in the box,) and plays in the areas he is likely to get the chances.

What this season has shown is that he can be more of a team player than he has under Poch. So far I dont think he has had any problems with his ankle this season either.

It’s not difficult seeing him on the top shopping lists alongside Mbappe and Haaland this summer. As we probably won’t have CL football, I dont see him on ours. Could see him on his way to Manchester or PSG.

Definitely need a striker. If Haaland and Mbappe are off the menu, I would love to sign Sancho. But even then the price might be ridiculous. So we may be looking lower down, at which point we need excellent scouting.

If we lose one of our current front four, the order I would let them go is Bobby, Mane, Jota, Salah. However, the order could be changed depending on offers made, and money on the table.

The extreme example, or fantasy, is that Mbappe leaves PSG… Real Madrid can’t come up with the dough due their debts and the failed ESL. Mbappe wants to try something else. PSG swap him for Salah, a very reliable source of goals. Ideally for them they keep Mbappe, but they have to act rather than lose him on a free. Maybe there is some cash adjustment too, but the point being, Mbappe likes Klopp, wants to have a stint in the Prem, he will still have another big move or two in his career.

We need a striker, a midfielder and a defender.

Mbappe, Camavinga, Konate.

Practice your French!

1 Like

Fixed it for you.

1 Like

I think this summer we should go

• two defenders, looking like Kabak and Konate.

• A commanding midfielder, my preference being Bissouma.

• A top drawer forward, not to replace, but to start to prepare the ground for the departures of the current front three. Someone like Sancho.

I don’t think that’s unreasonable for a ‘rebuild summer’.

6 Likes

Agree with all of this. I believe the average conversion at elite level for chances to goals is around 20%, Salah is around 24% this point so correct it’s 1 in 4. Ironically Werner was 23% a year ago! and Son was at 44% in Jan this year.

You are 100% right Salah/Kane, any elite strikers who I call clinical are probably around 1 in 3/4… The key is they take that many shots per game so they always get the goal usually… Our problem is the likes of Bobby/Mane etc. Simply don’t take enough shots, and to compound that their conversion is less than 10%. It’s a big big problem.

I’d be against Kane as a signing because he’s a proper douche! Son on the other hand :wink:

Who is always high on the list? Lewandowski, I hope this summer Klopp rebuilds us with the next version of Robert leading the line, and thats the Polish version of Robert, not a Brazilian spelling!

2 Likes

The time to buy Son was two years ago. We won’t be spending that kind of money on a twenty eight year old when the glaring issue we have to deal with is the number of players pushing 30.

7 Likes

You spelt Origi wrong

3 Likes

Nice that. No excuses then.

I would be very happy with that lot.

As for Mbappe, pipe dream and almost certainly not happening… but still, if it is, I would obviously prefer a lesser player going the other way than Mo. But I named Mo as that’s the only way I can see it happening, and even then, it’s a remote possibility.

3 Likes

I’m starting to wonder where Mbappe can actually go. Seems doubtful Real Madrid can put a package together and are more likely to try and put pressure on him to at least stay till the winter to sign him at a knock down price if not leave on a bosman the following summer.

Option A: Despite everything he has said about moving on and only signing a deal if he’s staying long term he caves to pressure, extend his deal for a couple of years and moves on in 2 years maybe?

Option B: He decides he actually is happy at PSG, they can offer what he wants and extends to stay a little while longer. If they win the CL it could go either way making him happier to leave (job done) or stay (can win where he is) it’s hard to predict how that would influence his decision making.

Option C: PSG stick to a prohibitive price in full knowledge he won’t go to anywhere that can afford those fees and stubbornly sit on the situation till he leaves for free.

Option D: As mad as it sounds if he really wants to leave this summer and they really want to do the best deal available to them it could be us. We may have to sacrifice 1 or even 2 of Mane, Firmino and Salah to see it happen but maybe its not outside the realms of possibility? Maybe if Mane goes to Real as a consolation prize for about half the money and Firmino goes to Atletico Madrid for most of the rest? With Suarez coming the other way on a short deal?

Would people accept a front 3 of Mbappe LF, Jota CF or LF, Salah CF or RF, Suarez CF, Elliott RF or LF and maybe Minamino? Instead of Salah, Mane, Firmino, Jota, Shaqiri and Origi?

7 Likes

Itd be sad to see Mane and Firmino leave but I think that’s going to happen some point within the next 3 seasons. There’s also no guarantee they would recapture their form. Mbappe is a special talent, he may only ever be available to us now, if he even is now. I think I’d take the deal if offered. If Firmino and Mane paid for the fee and their wages paid for Mbappes I think it’d be worth it. Shaqiri, Origi and Minamino could pay for another forward between them. Plus either someone free like Aguero or Suarez (might need say Shaqiri plus Oxs wages) or a cheap signing like Sardar Azmoun?

1 Like

Without any question, YES. What @cynicaloldgit said. Inject that into my veins!

That said, as much as I’d love Luis back for one last run, I just can’t envisage any scenario that would allow for that to happen.

EDIT: but for the record, I don’t want Mane gone under any circumstances.

4 Likes

Pretty much the only situation I would see as acceptable which involved a Mane departure would be something that led to an Mbappe arrival. I wouldn’t even be supportive of Mane leaving for Haaland or Sancho to come in. Maybe if Mane and Firmino leaving led to BOTH Sancho and Haaland coming in… I’d have to consider that… but the prices quoted for Haaland I don’t see even a Mane and Firmino combined sale securing Haaland and Sancho. If we aren’t standing a chance of Mbappe coming here then Mane needs to stay and have his contract extended along with VvD, Alisson, Fabinho and Salah. Probably Henderson too.

1 Like

Where’s the transfer rumour thread for Mbappe, John?

1 Like

“I apologize.”

3 Likes