Who would you buy?

We have a lot of players on our books who are first team level footballers at some level, in a top league or second flight. By my count we have around 34.

Of our keepers, Becker is top class bar the occasional lapse, but more injury prone than most in his position. The issue is what sort of deputy we need in light of this. Keheller probably needs a season on loan, not sure if Grabara is doing anything wherever he is to warrant being third choice. Karius will hopefully be off the books in the summer. Is Adrian a good enough number two?

We got burned by having a small defensive squad this season and covering them with midfielders, it cannot happen again.

Our full backs need more rotation, hopefully Kostas can play more next season if the centre back situation is better. Personally I’d loan out both Neco and Rhys Williams and use Gomez to cover TAA. As to the centre backs, we don’t know how VVD will be after his injury, so need to consider signing a top quality partner for VVD to help him ease back in, someone who can be a defensive leader when VVD is out. Gomez is not that person. I’d keep five or six centre backs next season - VVD, Kabak (worth signing for £17m), Phillips, Davies and a new guy. Matip would be on his way.

In midfield, rumours are Fabinho is being looked at by the Spanish. Maybe as a club we also need to consider when forcing players out of position whether they actually want to play in less favoured positions. Anyway some work needs doing on midfield. Aside from Gini leaving, Keita might be off to Leicester and for me Oxlade is a back up forward these days. Milner who knows. That leaves Fab, Hendo, Thiago and Jones (who has a long way to go to be a regular). Can Grujic come back?

Up top I think Shaqiri and Origi are no longer much use, I guess we’ll sell Salah or Mane due to value and the African Nations Cup issue. I don’t sense Mini is doing it at S’ton to suggest he’s an answer. Elliott probably needs another season on loan and Klopp clearly doesn’t fancy Wilson.

We’ll see, but for me we need Kabak, another centre back, a midfielder and at least one forward.

2 Likes

Not exactly, physical prime typically comes for male athletes during the 28-32 range… again depending on a number of factors, but genetically speaking this is the more accurate range. So I am with @Mascot on this, the age of the squad is massively overstated.

3 Likes

Correct it’s not the 1970s… Footballers if they look after themselves are in their prime into their 30s.

2 Likes

Konate and Kabak: looks like no brainer buys for us.

Bissouma: haven’t seen him much. And haven’t paid a lot of attention when I did. But refreshing my memory of him through videos. He seems perfect for us. He does what Gini does with a little more dribbling/ technique in him. And also seems better in tackling and defense. And PL proven… I think that would be £40m well spent.

Clinical CF is a must. Don’t know who(?)

Talk of Tammy Abraham. Not sure if he is that guy. But not opposed to it…We need a starter to take Firmino spot in lineup. Not a bench option. And Tammy needs service. But we have 2 selfish scorers in Mane and Salah. So don’t know if they would fit together. Firmino was usually The player to sacrifice scoring to keep those 2 happy.
The good about Tammy is he can score goals. Tall and has pace. Would have a chip on his shoulder. And would be home grown.

Suarez won’t come because of no CL. Otherwise would be good shout for a 1 to 2 yr deal.

So the question is… Would Konate, Kabak, Bissouma and Tammy Abraham(?) Be a good enough summer window that could propel us back to a PL title next season???

2 Likes

Bissouma I think would jump at the chance, unless he is someone that isn’t going to be happy sitting on the bench and wants to play, in which case he would probably see Brighton as his better option.

Kabak I think may be a strong chance as he is already here on loan, so will be getting to know everyone, getting settled off the pitch.

The other 2, I don’t know enough about to be able to make any sort of judgement on if they would rate C/L so highly that not being in it becomes a deal breaker

I’m a bit confused as to why a lot of people are saying we need to prioritise bring in another midfielder. Last summer all the talk was about Thiago coming in as a Gini replacement, or rather giving Gini the shove. We ended up keeping Gini and getting Thiago as well. We also have now have Curtis Jones, who I has earned the right to be a trusted starter.

If Gini leaves, I don’t think we are desperate for a replacement. The question for me is more around Naby Keita and whether or not he still has the manager’s faith. If he doesn’t then, yea I can see that there will be a need to get someone else in.

3 Likes

Last summer yes but next year we will have Henderson - 31 & Milner - 35. So I’d expect their games to be less. Thiago is also 30 so we can’t have too many players around the 30 mark, we need a good balance in there.

We also probably expected Keita and Oxlade to stay fit and challenge for a place, I think one of those two leaves this summer. So with Gini off, and one of Ox or Keita that’s why we need another.

Even if we run a double no.6 in a 4231 we need 6-7 midfielders for good depth and the ability to play 433 and rotate.

Thiago, Henderson, Fabinho, Jones, Keita or Oxlade, Milner, + Another = 7.

7 Likes

Depends, maybe you don’t need that much if they can also play slightly on the sides. In a 4-2-3-1 Firmino also counts as one since he can play the single #10. I don’t like Millie in a double pivot, prefer him as a hard working #8 in a midfield 3 (and more reserved of the two). I think we’ll continue with the 4-3-3 as our main formation, but just look to inject some fresh quality/competition at CB, CM and up top somewhere (probably CF, potentially RF). Possibly get a new cheap/free experienced goalie if Adrian doesn’t get a new deal (hopefully he doesn’t, but that might also depend on Kelleher’s situation with him having a year left).

1 Like

I think Bissouma is good enough to eventually take a starting spot in midfield just like Gini was a regular… And given Hendo is now considered injury prone. I think Bissouma would have no problem being in our midfield rotation. Along with Jones… Who we still have to give some minutes to continue developing.
I like that depth

2 Likes

I am not sure since the vast majority of footballers decline (and athletes in my favourite sport, tennis, as well) after 29. Marathoners, OTOH, peak later. But in sports that frequently require short, high-pace sprints like football (especially Klopp football), prime age is way lower.

I agree another midfielder would be good for providing depth (assuming Wijnaldum does leave), but I would prioritise a goal scorer, now that the defence options seem sorted. If no one else comes into midfield I won’t be too worried. But if we go into next season still relying on Origi to provide back up and completion to our front 3/4, I’d be very worried.

Man City (cheating buggers) seem likely to keep pulling 100 point seasons out of the bag if that’s what is needed. Chelsea under Tuchel will also be very strong.

Still, if we manage to get the aforementioned signings we are in with a shout. Definite top four, but with a fair wind a strong title challenge should be expected too.

1 Like

Depends on how late/early in the season we play at Goodison.

5 Likes

In a competitive league, no one can actually be sure of winning the league. But with these signings our chances would be as good as anyone else’s.

2 Likes

I’d be pretty happy with that. Equally if you swapped Bissouma for Neuhaus too. If we can’t raise the funds we need to do all of it I’d probably forego the centre mid and address midfield with a couple new options next year.

Still think it’d be a touch of overkill at CB but not knowing how any of the three are going to be when they return means it’s something we might just have to accept for a year. Feel sorry for Davies though. He’s not getting a look in now when we have three out injured and are looking to make a loan permanent and bring in another.

I’ve talked myself into thinking at £40m Abraham is probably a very good option compared to say Andre Silva at a similar price or a Malen or a Daka at that £25m-£30m range that has been floated about. He’s different to what we have now and I think that’s important so we aren’t as one dimensional going forward. He’ll also perhaps court more attention from opposition defenders than Firmino does which hopefully frees up some space for the wide chaps and he gives a good option in the box for the crosses from the fullbacks.

Those three or four plus the return of the centre backs and Hendo sets us up nicely. Add in a more settled Thiago, a wildcard in Elliott, less injuries and the return of fans and I think we walk it next season.

4 Likes

Agree with your thought process. I wanted both Kabak and Konate to be signed not only because of concern over the 3 injured CBs recovery. But I also would have liked to move on Matip… So it won’t be as crowded with VVD Gomez Konate Kabak and Phillips… And Fabs as an emergency.

As for Neuhaus. If rumors are correct that he wants to come to us. Thats a bonus… Makes negotiations easier.

Keeper: Probably could do with another backup but Kelleher has impressed me. Can Graraba or Pitugla offer a challenge. Maybe… maybe not. Not a priority anyways.

Defence: Need Konate. Not sure if we should go with Kabak would be happy to see him stay but just wonder can we go back into negotiations and get him for cheaper since we have some leverage on them now. Maybe loan out Neco and push Joe to be backup for Trent in an emergency whilst staying as a CB obviously. Start playing Kostas more Jürgen please.

Midfield: I don’t think we actually need one even if Gini came. We were actually quiet bloated in midfield if our Centre backs hadn’t got injuries. We had two for each position in the three man midfield and an extra if I’m not mistaken.

Attack: Worred about Mo or Sadio leaving. If they were I only want Haaland or Mbappe as replacement. Swap deal and cash if needed could work? Bobby needs to be benched tbh. Get me a clinical striker who can link up aswell if needed. Don’t think Taki is the man. Harvey to come back aswell as the new Shaq.

We would only have 5 performing CMs left: Fabinho, Henderson, Jones, Milner and Thiago. Keita and Ox are garbage due to injuries (I totally believe that we should replace them with even the likes of Maddison or even Grealish without blinking my eyes if possible).

1 Like

Apparently Atletico Madrid wants to sign Firmino.

I would prefer selling Sadio and bringing in Sancho. As for CF, perhaps Abraham at £40m.

1 Like

If say, we have a chance to sign Kabak at £18m and Botman at £26m this summer, I prefer ditching Kabak.