Who would you buy?

If that’s what we go with next season could end up as fucked up as this season for injuries!

2 Likes

Yeah, but I think in possession it can be a little problematic or not as good as it can be. But also in defensive situations. I remember some of Skrtel’s stuff from LCB, namely a goal/penalty we conceded at the Emirates in 2011. Carra had a few own goals in the same exact way when he was defending crosses from his left with his right foot (Cardiff 2006 as an example, when Rafa swapped him and Sami at CB that day, didn’t look like a good decision).

Sometimes it matters more, sometimes less. But in majority of situations I don’t think it’s not important.

2 Likes

I hear what you are saying but IMO you adapt, you improvise, you overcome. A good provisional CH should be able to play both sides of CB.

1 Like

I know, but at certain sides some are better and some are more limited. I agree with you all that Matip is naturally calm and comfortable enough on the ball that he should be able to do it. But going by years under Klopp, it will probably be Gomez who will move to LCB more when needed (hopefully not much, which would mean Virgil being fit almost all the time!). Konate also played LCB with Kounde (who plays RCB for Sevilla) for France’s U21 lately. So there’s possibly another one.

2 Likes

Given their current status and past injury history. Gomez and Matip shouldn’t be relied upon. For any substantial amount of games played… Until proven otherwise.

2 Likes

Ismaïla Sarr: 40 games, 13 goals, 10 assists
Dominic Solanke: 43 games, 15 goals, 11 assists

:rofl:

Remember that 40mil price-tag :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Goals and assists are obviously the only way to judge a player.

3 Likes

Am thinking a little bit outside the box, or maybe bang in the middle of the box depending on how you set up, but if they fail in the play offs, I wouldn’t be against a cheeky bid to Brentford for Ivan Toney as a back up option or as an out and out Plan B get the ball into the box for a lethal finisher type player

1 Like

How do you evaluate him???

Luis certainly experienced a special Anfield night. I’ll never forget the look on his face.

2 Likes

The difficulty in signing players outside of the champions league is massively overstated. Especially when you can easily show prospective signings that we only just miss out despite having van Dijk, Gomez and Matip missing basically all season as well as bunch of others all injured at various times.

It’s obvious this season is a blip not a trend. It’s not like players from abroad are suddenly going to think signing for Leicester or West Ham is the better career move long term because they happened to have a slightly stronger season once.

2 Likes

No, but we’ve definitely been overtaken by Chelsea and Man U, much as it hurts to admit it

The Mancs definitely are are ahead in crap decisions! from refs to var to dubious penalties going against or with them, 15 to 10 point awarded …winning there

2 Likes

In addition to what you said, I will add Klopp’s old saying of having players who are willing to push the wagon rather than jumping on it.

City, Chelsea, and United are ahead of us at the moment and they will continue to enjoy the advantages of money and official bias. However, I don’t think we have slid down the order, yet.

I think it is THE most over thought issue in football today.

Just like West Ham haven’t overtaken Spurs and Arsenal no they haven’t.

Sorry Ifti, don’t get your reasoning. We were ahead of everyone at the beginning of the season. Now we are behind Man C, Man U and Chelsea. I don’t think we’re behind Leicester and West Ham in terms of attracting players or chances of success next season even though we’re currently behind them in the league. It’s inconceivable that we could possibly have a season as unlucky as this one again :scream: However, we have a lot to do to get back to where we were.

1 Like

Nonsense. We won CL and PL back to back last two seasons. Finishing second or third doesn’t compete with that. They are where we would be if we’d had even 25% less injury issues. None are giving City anything like a real challenge and City aren’t even that impressive compared to other recent seasons. For all the fuss about their defence its been better in 2 out of the last 3 seasons.

2 Likes

You seem not understand the word nonsense

Nonsense is thinking that because our season has been destroyed by injuries Chelsea and Utd have moved ahead of us in football’s pecking order. It doesn’t work like that. The favourites for the league next season will be Liverpool and City.

5 Likes