AFCON and Football in Africa

Naby browsing a flight to England atm

2 Likes

just booked his flight home.

1 Like

That ref is a real clown. :laughing:

Have a good flight back to Liverpool or if you have a break, enjoy Naby Keïta!

3 Likes

Naby played a little game with yellow cards to get a nice break somewhere.

:joy:

1 Like

Morton
Keita Curtis

Against Cardiff :thinking:

1 Like

Naby the first of our Africans to be back at Kirkby. Unfortunately for Guinea that he was suspended for the crucial match.

1 Like

Bit late to this one but South Africa have had some fine non-white players for decades, not just emerging. Herschelle Gibbs, Makhaya Ntini topped the bowling rankings in tests for a time in the 2000’s, Hashim Amla topped the batting rankings, Vernon Philander was also topping the bowling for a time and Kagiso Rabada is the most recent one to be top of the rankings. There’s been a steady stream of talented non-white players coming through since the 90’s.

Cricket proved to be the easiest to transform after readmission as it was not the white enclave (rugby) or the sport of the masses (football) but let’s not forget that Neil Tovey (white) captained the South Africa football team in the 90’s in what remains the most successful period in the national teams history, Chester Williams (colored, and no its not an offensive term here) was an integral part of South Africa winning the World Cup in 95 while Siya Kolisi (black) captained the Boks in winning the Webb Ellis Trophy and has captained with distinction and class before and after. So while most of the pre-conceptions are valid like with everything is this country its… complicated.

And to answer @GermanRed 's delightfully phrased question as to ‘are they not better’ the answer is no, they are not better. They’re pretty shit actually and have been for years.

2 Likes

What does the SA usage of this term mean?. I was watching a documentary recently, not sure what (maybe something to do with Chester Williams), that was making the distinction between black teams and coloured teams but never explained it. I had always assumed it meant some form of mixed race, but that didnt seem to make sense in the context they were using it.

1 Like

Why it might not have made sense to you is that mixed race has actually become a race and ethnic group. Centuries ago settlers married or begot children on the indigenous people’s and over time, this increased and so the Griqua came about. Over the course of time, this people multiplied amongst themselves and with other non white groups, Cape Malays are an interesting read, and so on and on and with the Group Areas Act were classified as a separate ethnic group with their own unique culture, Coloured, which we still use today. The Cape Provinces and the Free State has the largest population but so do the other provinces, especially in urban areas and generally each city or town with a significant population cross section will have its own Coloured suburb courtesy of apartheid. So in terms of use, it’s not referring to mixed race as such anymore even though technically, they are in origin. The term coloured here is not referring to a mixed race child in isolation, such as myself, but an entire ethnicity now, hence why you might have been confused about the context.

It’s more complicated than that but I suppose that’s basically the barest of bones. There is no denigration to it (now), they are proud of their heritage and culture and rightly so.

2 Likes

Great result for us. Naby suspended and coming home. He’s not injured!!!

Dance Reaction GIF

2 Likes

Got to be goal of the tournament!

2 Likes

Cameroon going through.

2-1 against Comoros who had to put a outfield player in goal and had a player sent off after 7 minutes is embarrassing.

1 Like

Unlike Mo I think Sadio needs a confidence boost so I am hoping Senegal will win the tournament.

Egypt don’t look like they could go all the way anyway.

3 Likes

They might as well hand the trophy to Cameroon now but for the World Cup qualification the refs are from Europe

Respect to the tiny island nation Comoros. They had so many challenges with the Covid outbreak in their camp. Cameroon may have won the game, but Comoros won my heart. They were wonderful to watch.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::heart:

7 Likes

Me too, I am team Senegal.

2 Likes

This is so sad. RIP to those poor fans and thoughts are with their families​:pray::palms_up_together:

3 Likes

So sad.
Didn’t they have a crush a few years back? Maybe more than 1 actually

Awful.

BBC News - Africa Cup of Nations: Deadly crush reported at Cameroon stadium

2 Likes

that’s terrible.

2 Likes