AFCON and Football in Africa

Cameroon have been beset by issues getting ready to host. They have already had the tournament pulled from them last time around for not making enough progress with infrastructure, and it was up in the air until the final days this time. To then hear the crush happened in part because a security fence fell down is maybe unrelated, but is news made more concerning in the context of the known issue Cameroon were having getting ready.

2 Likes

Seems Egypt have woken up

‘Mane isn’t washing his own underpants!’ - Malawi boss Marinica slams Afcon conditions | Goal.com

This is terrible.

The African football federations really need to introspect and see whether this is the image of african football that they’d like to project towards the world. This is really not a good thing and only serves to reinforce the stereotypes existing.

2 Likes

Any competition every 2 years can fuck off.

This…

Not sure the Copa America is that regular but if it is just fuck off.

The Euros would be shit of it was every 2 years.

4 Likes

I already posted that not even 5 posts up…

1 Like

It is a bit perverse that the expectation is somehow that the host country/organizers are responsible for every aspect - in the Euros and the World Cups, the individual teams play a much larger role in selecting their lodging and ensuring it meets standards.

Almost all games have been poor. No quality.

1 Like

What about the laundry?

1 Like

Legit question, IMO.

Extra time between Côte d’Ivoire vs Egypt.

1 Like

Wilfred Zaha just landed on his face…back up now.

That looked extremely painful. I cringed at the replay.

I’ve missed much of the game so far, who’s the better team been?

I started at 60th minute, so I also missed most of the match. The match appears quite even. Egypt came out flying in 1st half of ET.

Egypt lost the keeper due to hamstring injury. He made some really good saves.

1 Like

Hope Egypt crash out and Mo is I injured.

Hope Senegal have battering next match too

1 Like

Mo set up a few gems today…his teammates bottled those chances.

Am I missing something?

Didn’t know CAF-TV has live streaming in YouTube.

Penalties

Typo, I think. The same thing happened to me the other day.

I was WhatsApp’ing with my wife, and instead of writing, ‘I love you’, I wrote, ‘You ruined my life, bitch.’

3 Likes