AFCON and Football in Africa

Why’s that?

Frank Mhango’s goal that put Malawi ahead.

1 Like

What a free kick by Achraf Hakimi to put Morocco ahead.

He did exactly the same vs Gabon.

Wow, that is uncanny. You can scarcely tell them apart but for the opponent’s uniforms

2 Likes

I actually posted the wrong clip initially until I noticed the colour differences in the kit, then I scrambled and searched for the proper video on in the internet. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Refeering corruption, stadium stampede, concussion protocols broken, Comoros covid farce, 7 (?) red cards in 6 round 16 games.

It’s abysmal.

Edit - 13 red cards in the tournament so far, as many as the last 4 AFCONs combined.

3 Likes

Lots of good goals though

2 Likes

Hopefully that brings some comfort to the families of the people crushed to death.

Irony on the internet is so tricky

1 Like

I’ll work it out eventually

There are issues, no doubt, but it’s not a joke. I think that’s disrespectful and clearly not a view shared by those in Africa, including our own players

I really hope Sadio hasn’t sustained any lasting damage

Lots of people here in South Africa (forget the guys on Supersport, it’s their coverage) think it’s a joke and completely silly with its two year interval and inconvenient timing.

Then again, we don’t really qualify all that often so that could explain it.

1 Like

Let’s wish for a healthy Sadio, fingers crossed. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I have always thought that the African Cup of Nations is a bit of a joke but this years competition is beyond a joke.

Needs over hauling. Farce

1 Like

It’s rather patronising to pretend it’s been anything other than awful.

1 Like

Nothing against the Africa Cup (apart from it’s damn bad timing), but it’s really hard not to feel that this year’s edition is a cluster-f*ck of epic proportions, and certainly not a good promotion of African football.

2 Likes

Absolutely right. Amateurish, ill conceived and poorly organized. And then you have stories like this:

https://www.kickoff.com/news/articles/world-news/categories/news/world-news/malawi-boss-we-are-treated-like-second-class-citizens/711996?gallery=710754&gallery-page=2#ig-710754

It’s a monumental waste of time.

2 Likes

especially if you take a hard look at the refereeing and player conduct

How many red cards issued over the past week? How about this: