AFCON and Football in Africa

I’m delighted for both of them. One of them will come back buzzing anyway!

1 Like

Maybe we can revel in the fact that we have the two best players in the final of this tournament.
The final will be Liverpool star striker v Liverpool star striker

9 Likes

Sadio needs that bit of happy news to make him perform better. So rather Senegal than Egypt. And the fact that On Paper and form, Senegal’s team is much better than Egypt

3 Likes

Add to that Senegal has an extra day of rest while having played 90 minutes less than Egypt in the tournament.

Tuned out after HT, was just a diabolic game.

Very happy 1 of our boys gonna be lifting the prize.

Unless Mo signs a new deal before the final…COME ON SENEGAL.

2 Likes

The 2021-22 quadruple is gonna be some story!

The fact we lost two of our best players for a month…boy oh boy wowee…

3 Likes

Sigh, so it really did became a Egypt Vs Senegal Final. The exact worst case scenario for LFC.

No, the worse case would be both teams playing for 3rd and 4th.

7 Likes

That’s an unfortunate way of looking at it.

It’s great credit to LFC and Jurgen Klopp that the two players are meeting in the final of a continental championship, as captains no less of their teams.

Not sure that this has ever happened in football.

Certainly something to celebrate.

3 Likes

You are right…But I wonder if an extra 24 hour to rest would make a difference?

Well, it is a good thing in terms of PR. However, let’s face it, do you rather have Salah and Mane taking a short break from competitive football and recharging like what Naby is doing or playing extra-time in the various rounds of football including the final, risking their well-being ( see Mane’s possible concussion issue) at the hands of inept concussion protocol from the national teams?

I am not sure if the latter situation of playing football is any useful in LFC’s fight for the title and UCL and other cups for this season.

The only good thing for the year 2022 is that the world cup is a winter world cup, allowing everyone to have a good break in the summer.

It’s the same entity, so he/she/it is getting all the prayers.

It would be more fun if a hindu team met a nordic team

1 Like

Especially at the AFCON!

2 Likes

Pleased for Mane and Salah to get to the final, but I think no both are going to need a break when they get back, especially Salah with extra 1.5 hours of football he had played in the last week. For the sake of the rest of the season I think it’s better to give them 10 days off from next week and allow them to recharge than have them burned out later on.

If only Morocco and Cameroon didn’t spuds it all up!

I’m delighted they’ve both made it. They both want to win the big one with their national teams, so at least one comes back happy.

We’ve done well without them, and am confident the club will get their physical conditioning right when they return.

Both the final and 3rd place match are played on Sunday so I rather see both of them compete for the trophy than in a meaningless match if they have to play on Sunday anyway.

It’s been really boring… :disappointed:

Expect them to say no to this request. An extra days rest would probably not bother Senegal much as they’re gaining a day extra too.

Part of tournament football is a team making it through to a final the hard way, and sometimes coming up against opposition that have not had as much extra time in their legs

I do think that the semi finals should be played on the same day at tournaments. But I’d rather they just got it all done and dusted now and get them home and rested for our run in.

1 Like