AFCON and Football in Africa

Salah had 7 weeks vacation this summer and Mané 5, that was more than 99% of the others and should be enough to get true a football season but besides that, in the presser that finished just now, Klopp said that he expects the winner of the final Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest back, the other one a bit sooner.

A 7 week vacation before the season started doesn’t help with recovery right now, especially since both of them played full matches while the rest of the squad were on vacation for the past two weeks.

1 Like

Klopp said he expects the winner back on Wednesday because they will fly to their home country to celebrate.

The other one will probably arrive on Tuesday.

He will ask them how they feel when they return.

The next league game is on Thursday against Leicester at Anfield.

To beat them we probably need one of them to start and the other on bench.

Whoever wins it, might have to ask the club for a bit more wages (that is if the club even wants to prolong with Mane as they want with Salah).

:joy:

Don’t care who wins it really, good luck to both. We’ll see how Mane defends that left side/Salah’s high right side.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Be nice to see Senegal :senegal: win it for the first time. Egypt have won it 7 or 8 times

2 Likes

Come on they always complain about not having enough rest in the summer and now they had more than enough rest they need rest now too?

My god, in the past the men were made of steel and the ships of wood, nowadays the ships are made from steel and the man of wood …

You make it seem like playing in the African Cup of Nations doesn’t contribute to fatigue/burnout. Salah and Mane deserve a rest, especially since both are high intensity players and have put in full match shifts during the tournament.

1 Like

According to Klopp they are both back Wednesday at the latest, the one that loses the final a bit earlier. Both are strong men in the prime of their lives with enough rest this summer.

Play them, this is the time of the year when you make the final push for the prices.

One will have a two month break next autumn/winter.

Thought there would no chance for Egypt to beat Ivory Coast after their poor group stage.

They made the final with 3 more poor performances in the KO stage.

The comparison to Greece winning the EURO is very fitting.

Credit to them - they seem to be a mentally strong group.

And if there was one thing that has been on a high level in this tournament it has to be Egypts penalty shoot outs.

2 Likes

Senegal have been the best team so far but still not very convincing imo.

With the extra day rest and Egypt having played 90 minutes more their best chance would be to try to high press them and finish them off in regular time.

Wouldn’t be a problem. Senegal have better players to backup mane and at the worst case , they can switch mane over to the right and keep a more defensively minded player to defend salah

Is there any truth in the rumour that Jurgen is going to the AFCON final in Cameroon, straight after the F. A CUP match? Not sure if he would get there in time for the final

Would take even on a rough guess about a 8 hour flight.

So I can’t see it

1 Like

There’s no chance Salah starts against Leicester. He’s played 120 mins 3 times in a week and carrying the hopes and dreams of a nation on his shoulders

2 Likes

I hope it is done after normal time to be honest.

My heart wants Senegal to win because they have never have won it. :senegal:

4 Likes

I don’t mind who wins, as long as it’s settled inside 90 minutes and they both come through it unscathed.

3 Likes

Based on how they’ve played I would say Senegal deserve it more than Egypt.

But that’s football.

3 Likes