AFCON and Football in Africa

Coronavirus looks set to have an impact on the Africa Cup of Nations on the pitch as well as off it.

Cameroon’s Group A opponents Cape Verde have reported several cases at their pre-tournament training camp, with coach Bubista revealed to be among their latest positive tests.

Blue Sharks have six players - including two goalkeepers - isolating ahead of their match against Ethiopia on Sunday.

Senegal, runners-up in 2019, delayed their departure for the tournament after Saliou Ciss, Mamadou Loum and Habib Diallo tested positive, with other cases suspected.

Tunisia forward Seifeddine Jaziri and winger Youssef Msakni have also tested positive this week.

Jaziri was top scorer at the Fifa Arab Cup in Qatar in last month, with four goals as Tunisia reached the final where they lost 2-0 to Algeria.

It’s an absolute joke that this competition is allowed to be held.

This is going end up like the Darts last week I fear, a number of walk overs.

I’d say it may mean our players come back sooner but that’s tempting fate.

Sadio bringing the vibes.

1 Like

People standing way too close to him …

2 Likes

Wearing masks around their chins!
Still, looks like he is enjoying himself. You get the impression that Sadio will relish retirement in his home country.

1 Like

and more farce

:man_facepalming:

Says to the Nigeria manager - you represent a country of 200 million people, are you telling me you dont have 11 fit players?

Mo’s debut as keeper incoming?

It’s a ‘small’ tournament - what’ve you been expecting? :grimacing:

I‘ve seen many non league football where teams were playing 9 vs 11. It’s the same.

Well amateur football is 7 players.

1 Like

Is it over yet?

Unfortunately, it just starts today :dizzy_face:

Watching Cameroon the fouls :confounded:

How delightful :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :man_facepalming:

Look at that packed stand with COVID raging :man_facepalming:

Cameroon vs. Burkina Faso 2-1
Cape Verde vs. Ethiopia 1-0

Coach Bubista and nine Cape Verde players were absent because of Covid and the Blue Sharks were only able to name six substitutes for their match against Ethiopia.

I actually was a bit surprised when various news articles suggested that AFCON is widely disrespected - I thought that was overblown. Turns out it wasn’t. Shame really.

I genuinely want Mo, Sadio, or Naby to win AFCON.

I have Senegal-Zimbabwe on in the background, still 0-0 in an almost empty station horrible match, Mané still on the pitch.

1 Like

Sadio’s spot kick in time added-on. Senegal 1-0 Zimbabwe.

2 Likes

Mané did a great impression of Messi, not the Messi that leaves 4 opponents standing and scores but the one that walks for 90 minutes. :sunglasses:

Doubt Sadio needs a shower.

2 Likes