AFCON and Football in Africa

The reality is with so little revenue generated from club football, CAF need internationals to generate money. It’s one of the same reasons the grueling South American qualifying has so much opposition to reform.

2 Likes

Worse than Hans Segars

1 Like

I mean fuck’s sake lads, way to be subtle about it. 30-something own goals. In one match!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Mistakes happen

a team of Carraghers?

The Cup of Nations serves as Africa’s qualification event for the tournament in Australia and New Zealand.

3 Likes

Oh unique sensibilities are showing in the womens game.

1 Like

The Super League will have participants from 16 countries, with promotion and relegation planned via play-offs.

Cynics would say it’s not much different than the European Super League :roll_eyes:

not looking for an arguement or anything, but i can see where he is coming from.

1 Like

There isn’t really alot Napoli can do. Under fifa rules, clubs have to release players that are called up for internationals or the player could face a club ban for the same length of time as the call up.

The CAF president is totally right, would they true a similar policy for European or South American players? I think we all know the answer to that

European and South American tournaments take place in the summer, so European clubs don’t lose players for six weeks during the season. That’s the problem.

1 Like

Promotions and playoffs.

1 Like

I’m sure the new/UEFA-run project will have that too. :grin:

It would be discriminatory no matter what way it’s painted. Maybe if they held AFCON every 4 years like the other competitions there would be less objection?

1 Like

So what you mean is this is nothing like the European Super League?

It should be every four years, like other tournaments. There’s no requirement for it to be every two years, as it is now.

2 Likes

Just the opposite, it’s very much like the ESL.

The fact that we are going more for south American players can mean that either the right African players are not available or that we don’t want to lose our players during the season.

While CONCACAF Gold Cup and Copa America too are biennial tournaments, these two along with AFC Asian Cup and UEFA European Football Championship are held during the June-July period. So none of the other continental competitions disrupt the club season like AFCON does, every two years.